help me identify this, i dont know whats wrong

Status
Not open for further replies.

im_coryy

ECF Veteran
Apr 1, 2014
USA
hey ecf! whats up? i was wondering why this is happening and if anyone could help me figure out the cause of this problem and how to fix it. this is on my igo m. you can see the lead connected to the negative post leading to the coil getting red hot, this only happens on the one side. is my rda bad? should i replace it? is it dangerous to use? this happens every time i build. also he center post has begun to spin which bothers me a lot.

igo m.jpg

im_coryy

ECF Veteran
Apr 1, 2014
USA
ive rebuilt it multiple times and it happens every time, the cotton isnt dry as i just soaked it with juice before taking this photo. i flooded it on purpose as a matter of fact and it still does this. which concerns me. nobody seems to know what the problem is and id love to hve an answer, my SS mod actually shocks me when i use my igo m but my brass mod is fine sometimes it gets a little warm but both cause some concern.

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
angryvaper.crypticsites.com
hey ecf! whats up? i was wondering why this is happening and if anyone could help me figure out the cause of this problem and how to fix it. this is on my igo m. you can see the lead connected to the negative post leading to the coil getting red hot, this only happens on the one side. is my RDA bad? should i replace it? is it dangerous to use? this happens every time i build. also he center post has begun to spin which bothers me a lot.

View attachment 357274

I don't know that RDA, but is there any kind of insulator, for the posts? It seems to me that the post itself must be getting hot, for that lead to be so red hot.

Andria

mvroman

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 6, 2013
Texas
It's called a hotleg, if the legs aren't nearly perfectly straight they will glow like this. Take the wicking out of the coil and fire the mod and take another pic. You should see the whole coil glowing as well as this leg, use some tweezers to try to adjust it until the leg doesn't glow or make another coil to try again.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

OldtimeRocker

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 26, 2014
N.H.
You say your center post is loose and spinning, i think your positive post may not be grounding well. I would tighten up your center post and put a new coil in make sure every thing on the deck is tight, don't over tighten i just snapped a center pin by over tightening it. Looks to me like your deck has a short somewhere take a good look at your deck. Good luck

Bunnykiller

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 17, 2013
New Orleans La.
youve got what is known as a hot leg... when you build a coil, you need to pulse it ( bump the fire button several times to get the whole coil to glow red) to oxidize the coil. Oxidizing the coil will "insulate" the wire and keep the coil from acting like a dead short between the post and first wrap of the coil.

also, the only part of the coil that should be touching metal are the legs in the mounting posts, no other part of the coil should touch metal

Last edited:

Subdivisions

ECF Veteran
Oct 23, 2013
PA
There isn't an insulator on the negative post because the whole body is the negative side. Try to shorten up the leads going to the posts and make sure your coils are touching. That's called a micro-coil. Heat it up and pinch the coil into a compact bundle. I usually do it over a flame before i mount it but you can just get it hot with pulses from the battery. Make sure you release the button before pinching it together or you'll short out the battery.

im_coryy

ECF Veteran
Apr 1, 2014
USA
well i do have an ohms meter i just dont know how to detect a short. idk if its when the ohms jumps around or it just doesnt read at all. i check both sides if it jums constantly or doesnt read i just replace my coil. dont wanna take any chances

is their any way to fix the spinning besides replacing it? fasttech takes forever nd this is my only dripper. its wonderful to use in times of stress. plus i dont really have the ten dollars to replace it. ive got 70$ to my name and my car needs new tires and an oil change lol!

if i have to buy a new one then thats what i have to do but im tryng to avoid that if at all possible

Subdivisions

ECF Veteran
Oct 23, 2013
PA
how do i detect a short on my device? also how do i tighten the center post? it doesnt have a screw it i believe is press fit

I'm looking at it on fasttech and it has screws on all posts. you may have a stripped screw. There are 2 negatives on the ends and 2 positive screws in the middle. try mounting on the opposite side

Subdivisions

ECF Veteran
Oct 23, 2013
PA
yes their are screw but the bottow part that touches the battery and hold the center post in yea im pretty sure thats pres fit. i wish it was a screw that would make my life easier. whats a nearly indestructible atomizer?

The IGO type atomizers usually are pressed in on the positive post. You don't seem to have a problem with the positive post touching the battery or you wouldn't get anything happening. Make your coil leads as short as possible and make a micro-coil. The coil may have to be up close to the posts for this to happen. It won't hurt anything as long as it isn't touching the posts

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread