Help needed with I taste SVD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reroka

ECF Veteran
Sep 16, 2013
Durham, North Carolina
I hope some can help me. I bought a itaste SVD, The book is not much help. This takes either a 2 18350, an 18500 or a 18650. My fist question is , would it be best to go with the 2 18350 or the 18650? Next I went to a B&M shop to see if they had the batteries for it. They installed an 1850 flat top and it worked however I was unable to move the wattage of volt. I know this mod as a lock option so cold it be on lock out box?

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

Stosh

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2010
Nevada
My book says I can get better volts with 2 18350s

That would be stacking batteries, to which there are a few requirements. You would need to label the batteries as a set, A & B, and be sure to charge them as a set. Check the voltage on each with a meter before installing to be sure they are reading the same voltage. When you replace batteries you want to alternate the A or B battery going in first, to average the wear on them. And always replace the batteries as a set, don't mix batteries from one set with another.

Or using a single AW IMR 18650, you'll have a little less input power, the power to the carto will be exactly the same and much less headache. :laugh: A single good quality 18650 will last most vapers all day.

Reroka

ECF Veteran
Sep 16, 2013
Durham, North Carolina
That would be stacking batteries, to which there are a few requirements. You would need to label the batteries as a set, A & B, and be sure to charge them as a set. Check the voltage on each with a meter before installing to be sure they are reading the same voltage. When you replace batteries you want to alternate the A or B battery going in first, to average the wear on them. And always replace the batteries as a set, don't mix batteries from one set with another.

Or using a single AW IMR 18650, you'll have a little less input power, the power to the carto will be exactly the same and much less headache. :laugh: A single good quality 18650 will last most vapers all day.

Let me make sure I read what you said.
If I stack 2 18350 that would be better than the 18650?

VaPreis

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 5, 2013
St. Louis, MO
I've been using an 18650 in mine and am happy with how it works, although I believe the instruction manual suggests stacking 2 18350's will give you a fuller range of voltage options. I'm no engineer, but I would suspect stacking the 2 18350 batteries will allow the SVD to "pulse width modulate" the voltage less which would make for a more true voltage setting.

I went with a pair of 18650 so that I would have a backup when I killed the first one. Initially, I wasn't willing to spend the extra money on 2 pairs of 18350's to do the same.

EDIT: As far as the voltage setting being locked it will display "LOC" on the screen when pressing the + or - button if it is locked. Hold the + and - buttons together for 5 seconds and then the voltage setting will reappear and it can then be adjusted. To re-lock it, hold the + and - together again until the screen again displays "LOC"

Last edited:

Stosh

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2010
Nevada
Let me make sure I read what you said.
If I stack 2 18350 that would be better than the 18650?

Actually it would be little gain in length of charge, no gain in vaping performance (the output is regulated) and a hassle to maintain. Also a 18650 is a common size to fit many common mods. :)

SmokieTreats

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 5, 2013
Xanth Nebula
Ok... so here's what I'm wondering:
The manual says what it says about wider range of voltage/wattage with stacked 18350's vs. 18650/18500.
After reading around the web like crazy, I'm seeing many people stating things to this effect:
"if you use 18650 your watts will max out @ 11
if you use 2 18350 you get full 15 watts and full voltage to boot aswell;)"

Is this true?
Is this b.s.?
Am I getting better than 12 watts on an 18650 or 18490 AW IMR that I'm using, or does the screen just SAY I'm getting "13.5" watts (for example).

I'm wanting to start tearing my hair out because I've got all these iClear30's & iClear30S's with my new (and very first) mod - the SVD.

I got a 134 as well at the same time because it's bad-... in appearance (- to ME, anyway... many disagree, but that's irrelevant right now, so please don't tell me what a waste of $$$ it is:D -).
The fact that it takes an 18650 also, and only goes up to 12.5 watts makes me wonder if I'm REALLY getting anything higher with an 18490 (or even an 18650?) on the SVD?

I know people like to explain the hazards of stacking, and I've read for countless hours everything that needs saying in that regard - even seen the pics of the aftermath of battery failures & all that.

In a nutshell:
I thought I was getting a 15-watt device.
I'm using lots of dual coil tanks that require MUCH MORE WATTAGE for full flavor & warmth of vapor.
13-13.5 watts is pretty much the "sweet spot" for iClears.
Do I need to stack to actually achieve 13-15 watts?
(and if so... what wattage IS it on an 18490 or 18650 when it says "13.5 watts" on my SVD screen?)

Thanks in advance, and please have mercy on my soul.
I've just come from the Halo Triton system, and was ending up putting EVERYTHING on the VV that I had to bring up the warmth & vapor & FLAVOR (most important thing to me is FLAVOR STRENGTH) on those tanks {which are essentially Kanger T2-style top coils}.
Quite honestly I'm struggling pretty hard with finding a delivery system that works well for me on the SVD.
The iClear30S's are ALMOST gettin there for me, but with the 2oHm coils they NEED to be cranked to the max.
Just wondering if the stacked 18350's would bring a more accurate 13(+) watts.
(sorry this's so long!:blink:)
:toast:

Stosh

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2010
Nevada
If you are running a good quality high drain IMR hybrid 18650 it will have more than enough of an amperage limit to be able to provide the wattage you seek. A variable mod that uses a 3.7V battery and boosts the voltage is relying on being able to pull additional amperage to accomplish this feat. Any mod VV, VW or mech is limited by how many amps it can draw without the "lights dimming" from the load, a high drain 18650 can do this and is only limited by a mods own electronics. (SVD has a 5 amp limit, enough for most any topper)

Nibiru2012

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 15, 2013
The Oort Cloud
First, I'll admit I am an Aspire BDC fan. For me, it gives the best vape experience I've had, so far.

You may want to try one out to see how it works for you.

Also reference this Vaping Power Chart from reddit:

Anywhere in the green-shaded area is considered a "safe" vape zone. You might also try the purple-shaded area, but be careful. The numbers are Power aka Watts in the chart.

Perhaps this will help you out.

Let us know how it works out for you.

BTW, I own an SVD and use the new Panasonic NCR18650PF battery. It's rated at 2900 mAH and lasts about 1-1/2 days for me, but then again I'm not a chain vaper.

Good Luck! ;)

SmokieTreats

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 5, 2013
Xanth Nebula
Cool.
Thanks, guys.
I was just kinda buggin out there:blink: (I do that a lot these days trying to understand ALL THINGS Vape-Oriented... Simultaneously... after No Sleep.:p)
That's what I had thought -basically 8-9 watts-, but was led astray by ridiculousness stated by some as I was feverishly thread-hopping.

I'm REALLY liking the iClear30S's - AND the Davide BDC's so far.
(Unfortunately two out of my three tiny white BDC grommets went sailing down the drain-pipe during initial feverish disassembly/washdown... as I had NO IDEA THEY WERE THERE:facepalm: Ooooops. -*Be Advised*- )
{now I've gotta use 2 of em as single coil Protank wanna-be's - No Comparison:nah:}
Guess I could twist up some nano-coils & see if I like em!

I'm tasting much deliciousness at 8-9 watt range now, and usually using my AW IMR 18490's on the SVD & 18650's on the 134.
I've got two of each battery, so that way I've always got a backup.

Also have a pair of the 18350's but have only been using those one at a time to keep it a bit smaller on rare occasions.

My puny brain still can't truly grasp:
wattage with single coil @ say... 2oHm
-vs-
wattage with DUAL coil @ 2oHm (2 x 4oHm coils)

STUPID QUESTION (I'm full of those): Doesn't the DUAL coil 2oHm require Way More Voltage for same wattage result? (basically DUAL/Double, right?)
(so how does that factor in with the chart above - look at 4oHm Voltage? - basically close to 6 Volts?)
& if so... I've pretty much GOT to use an 18650 or go for the dreaded stackage using these DC devices to get any battery life/Juice at all. (???):blink:

I'm going to sleep. My Brain is Full.:toast:
-mY BRaiN is FuLL- -MushroomCloud-Head-.jpg

*EDIT*
Not for nothin? I find 7-8 or even 9 watts disappointing at best on Pre-Made DUAL coils, but 12-13.5?:
:vapor::drool::D

- which leads me back to my Original Question about WATTAGE/POWER output of 18490/18650 vs 2 x 18350's. (???)

I get it:
STACKING=
:shock:SCARY:danger:SCARY:shock:SCARY:danger:SCARY:shock:
I have been sufficiently terrified enough in advance and am still using one batt at a time... but...

*does ANYBODY out there stack their AW IMR 18350's in an SVD???
& can THEY please tell me their experience with doing so?*
Am I wasting time even CONSIDERING doing so?
Is there TRULY NO BENEFIT to doing so? (other than potential thermal runaway:evil:, that is:p)

Thanks in advance, and Happy :vapor::drool:ing!

Last edited:

Nibiru2012

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 15, 2013
The Oort Cloud
Whenever you use a dual-coil atomizer setup, they will use more battery life versus a single-coil.

I use an Aspire with 1.8 ohm dual-coil. That's two 3.6 ohm coils in a parallel connection, so therefore it will use more amps.

I recently bought some Panasonic NCR18650PF batteries with a 2900 mAh capacity and I'm able to go all day with out having to change the battery out. I was able to get two batteries with a free case for less than $18 including shipping at Illumination Supply website.

SmokieTreats

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 5, 2013
Xanth Nebula
Whenever you use a dual-coil atomizer setup, they will use more battery life versus a single-coil.

I use an Aspire with 1.8 ohm dual-coil. That's two 3.6 ohm coils in a parallel connection, so therefore it will use more amps.

I recently bought some Panasonic NCR18650PF batteries with a 2900 mAh capacity and I'm able to go all day with out having to change the battery out. I was able to get two batteries with a free case for less than $18 including shipping at Illumination Supply website.
Cool, thanks.
I've already got a couple AW 18650's (which have a lower mAh rating, but are very likely Panasonics re-branded), but that's a great source for when I re-up.
Great price & battery case is a bonus for sure.

As far as those charts are concerned - they are only accurate for SINGLE coils (as you surely know... but I didn't:facepalm:).
That was a big source of confusion for me since I got my BDC's.
I was :shock::danger:SCARED:danger::shock: to crank em up to where they needed to truly BE due to all the :danger:RED:danger: zones, and didn't wanna fry my Aspire DC's since so many people said that Once You Do: they'll CONTINUE to taste burnt.
(but they kept tasting better the higher I brought the wattage:p)
{and when I did the basic mental math of 2 x 4oHm coils - or even 4oHms on the chart... the wattage didn't compute = EVERYTHING beyond 8-9 watts is :shock:8-o:danger:8-o:shock:.

Through reading other posts, my itty-bitty brain
hmmm.jpg
finally Understands.

Now if ONLY someone would OPENLY discuss my battery stacking questions without Fear-Mongering... my Quest For Answers would be Complete.:toast:

Stosh

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2010
Nevada
No "Fear-Mongering" but stacking batteries requires a little more maintenance and care. First you need to use a matched set, same brand C rating, mah rating and age. Label each battery as A and B, when inserting into your mod the order should be reversed each time, as in A as the top battery once, then after the next charge B as the top battery. If you have more than one set of batteries they should be labeled A1, A2 and B1, B2 and don't mix the 1's and 2's together. Always check the voltage after use to be sure one isn't over-discharged, and also after charging, before use to be sure the voltages match.

Or you can simply use a good quality 18650 hybrid and just charge it up and vape...(always a good idea to check the voltages once in a while in any case, better safe than sorry...:))

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread