HELP NEEDED

Status
Not open for further replies.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Hi I was just wondering if I would be able to use a smok baby beast tank with a rba coil head in with a mechanical mod? If so what ohm would the coils have to be and what batteries would I have to use?

Also if not what if the most compact mod that would chuck clouds? Thanks
Well, you need to choose the resistance (ohms) based on the amp limit of the battery used. You don't want to exceed the amp limit of the battery (known as the continuous discharge rate). That would be considered abusing the battery and could cause it to get hot, vent gas, or explode.

Explain it to the Dumb Noob: Ohm's Law Calculations
A Beginner's Guide to Your First Mechanical Mod
Battery Basics for Mods: The Definative Battery Guide for Vaping

ohms_law_calculator.png

You need to find an Ohms Law Calculator online. Fill in any two known values and click calculate and the other two values will appear.

Say you have a 20 amp battery and you want to know what ohms you can use. Put in 4.2 volts (full battery) and 20 amps in the Current window. Click on calculate. Resistance will say 0.21 ohms. You could build down to 0.21 ohms, but its best to maintain a little margin of safety. I like to use only 50% of my battery so that would be 0.4 ohm, but that's me.

Last edited:
  • Useful
Reactions: stols001

j4m13

Dec 20, 2017
Well, you need to choose the resistance (ohms) based on the amp limit of the battery used. You don't want to exceed the amp limit of the battery (known as the continuous discharge rate). That would be considered abusing the battery and could cause it to get hot, vent gas, or explode.

Explain it to the Dumb Noob: Ohm's Law Calculations
A Beginner's Guide to Your First Mechanical Mod
Battery Basics for Mods: The Definative Battery Guide for Vaping

ohms_law_calculator.png

You need to find an Ohm's Law Calculator online. Fill in any two known values and click calculate and the other two values will appear.

Say you have a 20 amp battery and you want to know what ohms you can use. Put in 4.2 volts (full battery) and 20 amps in the Current window. Resistance will say ohms. Build down to ohms, but its best to maintain a little margin of safety.
Hi thank you so much for your help!!

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Sorry for repeating myself. Not sure how that happened.

In this community, which values safety, we don't recommend a beginner to start out with a mechanical mod. There is no chipset with built-in protections. If you don't know what you are doing with batteries or understand coil resistances pertaining to Ohm's Law, you don't really have any business using one until you learn the basics.

You need to know how to use an Ohm's Law Calculator. You need to have an Ohm reader. You need to know the amp limit (continuous discharge rate) of the batteries that you will use. You need to know about safe battery practices and what can cause a hard short.

ohms_law_calculator.png
Ohms Law Calculator

List of batteries and their amp limit: List of Battery Tests

The below Ohm's Law calculations demonstrate that the lower you go in ohms the higher the amp requirement becomes. Always tend to err on the side of safety when you make your builds by allowing some safe head room.

1.0 ohm = 4.2 amp draw
0.9 ohm = 4.6 amp draw
0.8 ohm = 5.2 amp draw
0.7 ohms = 6 amp draw
0.6 ohms = 7 amp draw
0.5 ohms = 8.4 amp draw
0.4 ohms = 10.5 amp draw
0.3 ohms = 14.0 amp draw
0.2 ohms = 21.0 amp draw
0.15 ohms = 28 amp draw
0.1 ohms = 42.0 amp draw
0.0 ohms = dead short = battery goes into thermal runaway​

Everyone is free to set their own safety parameters, and I can only say what mine are.

I try to never exceed 50% of the CDR (continuous discharge rating) of a fully charged battery (4.2v). So with a 20A batteries, that would be 10A. The above calculations tells me that a .4 ohm build is as low as I would want to use. With 30A batteries, a 0.3 ohm build is as low as I would want to use.

The reason that I place a 50% limit is because as a battery ages the mAh of the battery degrades, as the mAh degrades so does the batteries amp limit. So down the road, your 20A battery may only be a 10A battery.

You never want to sub-ohm with a battery smaller than an 18650 because they have inadequate amp limits, so one of the smaller mods that might use a smaller battery should be eliminated for consideration. Ideally, a dual 18650 battery box mod wired in parallel should be used to double the amp limit. Even more ideal would be a regulated mod, not a mechanical.

Last edited:

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I know the dual battery mods can be a bit larger but they don't actually have "more wattage" than a single battery mech. Mechs don't run on wattage, you are vaping off the capacity of your BATTERY at full charge, and finding an ideal vape for that based on your COIL. That's the simplest way I can put it. A mech mod's "power" will decrease over time, as you drain it via vaping. Depending on your build and battery, a mech mod will decrease (noticeably) in power as you vape it. I'd say (again, depending on your build and battery) that you'd get longer runtime in a safer fashion than trying to use a mech mod.

There is a MYTH that somehow the vape on a mech mod is "more powerful" and "better somehow" and with folks who have been building on a mech mod for a while and know their batteries limitations, that MAY be true, but it's certainly not true for just any mech mod you pick. A mech mod is not in and of itself "superior" to a regulated mod. For YOUR purposes, a regulated mod on which you can safely place an RTA of the correct build may very well give you more "clouds" and "vapor" for a longer period of time than a single mech. It just may not seem as "exciting."

Seriously, take a look in the VV/VW mod forum and take a look at what is out there. You do have the option of a single battery mod, but if you are looking to make large clouds for a long time in a more hassle free way, I think a two battery mod is what you should be looking for, as if you want larger clouds, you will need the RTA build AND the mod to support that.

I have no doubt that you can learn to use a mech mod safely but if you are fairly new to vaping, I cannot stress enough that starting with a VW mod that has safety protections while you are learning to build well and consistently with an RTA or RDA WHILE you are learning about mech mods would be helpful and likely be a far better all day vape on the go in any case.

I've been vaping a while and I plan to do so for a long while longer before I attempt a mech mod and I doubt I'd ever bring one out of the house.

Best of luck, and hopefully if I've made any errors in the above, someone will be along to correct me. :)

Anna

j4m13

Dec 20, 2017
I know the dual battery mods can be a bit larger but they don't actually have "more wattage" than a single battery mech. Mechs don't run on wattage, you are vaping off the capacity of your BATTERY at full charge, and finding an ideal vape for that based on your COIL. That's the simplest way I can put it. A mech mod's "power" will decrease over time, as you drain it via vaping. Depending on your build and battery, a mech mod will decrease (noticeably) in power as you vape it. I'd say (again, depending on your build and battery) that you'd get longer runtime in a safer fashion than trying to use a mech mod.

There is a MYTH that somehow the vape on a mech mod is "more powerful" and "better somehow" and with folks who have been building on a mech mod for a while and know their batteries limitations, that MAY be true, but it's certainly not true for just any mech mod you pick. A mech mod is not in and of itself "superior" to a regulated mod. For YOUR purposes, a regulated mod on which you can safely place an RTA of the correct build may very well give you more "clouds" and "vapor" for a longer period of time than a single mech. It just may not seem as "exciting."

Seriously, take a look in the VV/VW mod forum and take a look at what is out there. You do have the option of a single battery mod, but if you are looking to make large clouds for a long time in a more hassle free way, I think a two battery mod is what you should be looking for, as if you want larger clouds, you will need the RTA build AND the mod to support that.

I have no doubt that you can learn to use a mech mod safely but if you are fairly new to vaping, I cannot stress enough that starting with a VW mod that has safety protections while you are learning to build well and consistently with an RTA or RDA WHILE you are learning about mech mods would be helpful and likely be a far better all day vape on the go in any case.

I've been vaping a while and I plan to do so for a long while longer before I attempt a mech mod and I doubt I'd ever bring one out of the house.

Best of luck, and hopefully if I've made any errors in the above, someone will be along to correct me. :)

Anna
Ok, I’m very very thankful of you sharing the your knowledge, it helps ALOT!! :)

j4m13

Dec 20, 2017
In this community, which values safety, we don't recommend a beginner to start out with a mechanical mod. There is no chipset with built-in protections. If you don't know what you are doing with batteries or understand coil resistances pertaining to Ohm's Law, you don't really have any business using one until you learn the basics.

You need to know how to use an Ohm's Law Calculator. You need to have an Ohm reader. You need to know the amp limit (continuous discharge rate) of the batteries that you will use. You need to know about safe battery practices and what can cause a hard short.

ohms_law_calculator.png
Ohms Law Calculator

List of batteries and their amp limit: List of Battery Tests

The below Ohm's Law calculations demonstrate that the lower you go in ohms the higher the amp requirement becomes. Always tend to err on the side of safety when you make your builds by allowing some safe head room.

1.0 ohm = 4.2 amp draw
0.9 ohm = 4.6 amp draw
0.8 ohm = 5.2 amp draw
0.7 ohms = 6 amp draw
0.6 ohms = 7 amp draw
0.5 ohms = 8.4 amp draw
0.4 ohms = 10.5 amp draw
0.3 ohms = 14.0 amp draw
0.2 ohms = 21.0 amp draw
0.15 ohms = 28 amp draw
0.1 ohms = 42.0 amp draw
0.0 ohms = dead short = battery goes into thermal runaway​

Everyone is free to set their own safety parameters, and I can only say what mine are.

I try to never exceed 50% of the CDR (continuous discharge rating) of a fully charged battery (4.2v). So with a 20A batteries, that would be 10A. The above calculations tells me that a .4 ohm build is as low as I would want to use. With 30A batteries, a 0.3 ohm build is as low as I would want to use.

The reason that I place a 50% limit is because as a battery ages the mAh of the battery degrades, as the mAh degrades so does the batteries amp limit. So down the road, your 20A battery may only be a 10A battery.

You never want to sub-ohm with a battery smaller than an 18650 because they have inadequate amp limits, so one of the smaller mods that might use a smaller battery should be eliminated for consideration. Ideally, a dual 18650 battery mod wired in paraell should be used to double the amp limit. Even more ideal would be a regulated mod, not a mechanical.
Ahhh ok I understand the whole concept and principles abit better now!! Thank you so much :)

QcVaper

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 17, 2017
Canada/Quebec
Hi, these dual 18650 mods are usually quite big, is there anything abit smaller that would also have a high wattage?
Single 18650s exist lots of people recommend the pico kit, i have an aspire nx75 (75 watts) and i love mine.

It all depends on what wattage you'd like to do as anything above 60-75 watts you need a dual battery mod, otherwise your batteries are under alot of stress and it's not a good idea overall if you want longevity.

For clouds though nothing better than dual battery mod imho you get both longer battery life and more power.

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA
  • Useful
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread