HELP PLEASE...Question about sx mini m class

Status
Not open for further replies.

dripgoestheclark

Verified Member
Apr 19, 2015
Rhode Island
I have recently bought a sx mini m class and am loving it. However, this is my first mod of the kind and am having a real hard time understanding the math behind the amp draw on the battery and such. I am not new to vaping but have used mech mods almost exclusively until now and are completely comfortable with ohms law . I have read that atomizer resistance has no effect battery life with this mod. If this is correct how? I want to make sure I am playing safe with the correct batteries and running builds below 0.1 ohm in temperature mode seems as if I would be pulling an awful lot of amps from the battery. Please explain how to calculate the amp draw in kanthal mode and temperature mode. Thank you in advance.

Shigura

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 26, 2015
Lincoln, NE
TL/DR: Lower resistance means more power to the coil equals less battery life (If your new I suggest that read profusely)
I will throw out temp mode is a whole different beast as it relies on your temperature setting as the wattage (or joules in this case) setting determines "how fast" you reach that limit.

dripgoestheclark

Verified Member
Apr 19, 2015
Rhode Island
I was hoping this wasn't the case...this seems like a major design flaw if I am supposed to run a 0.065 coil in temperature protect mode and resistance is directly related to battery drain, then why would they design the chip to drain the battery in no time flat? The confusing part that made me start this thread is that I have actually gotten the same battery life with a 0.1 ohm without the temp protection even kicking in and toning down the wattage, that I get with any 0.3-0.6 ohm setups.

Shigura

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 26, 2015
Lincoln, NE
I was hoping this wasn't the case...this seems like a major design flaw if I am supposed to run a 0.065 coil in temperature protect mode and resistance is directly related to battery drain, then why would they design the chip to drain the battery in no time flat? The confusing part that made me start this thread is that I have actually gotten the same battery life with a 0.1 ohm without the temp protection even kicking in and toning down the wattage, that I get with any 0.3-0.6 ohm setups.
Well to be concise that is its lowest resistance the device allows to be fired. With that being said all it means is you can push it to the max which of course drains battery life like crazy. Not essentially a design flaw but all regulated devices will do that, well mainly the high powered devices such as this. I've cranked my Sigelei 150 to its max before to see what it would do (did have a setup that could handle that kind of crazy power) and I literally watched the battery drain nearly 2-3% per fire.

Shigura

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 26, 2015
Lincoln, NE
Forgot to mention since the SX Mini J-chip is a single battery device. The battery life won't last you all day at all I have to change out my battery at least once a day ( LG HE2, LG HE4, and Samsung 25r) even if i'm vaping at 20-25w levels w/o being in temp mode (HB Dna40 in this case is what i'm using daily).

dripgoestheclark

Verified Member
Apr 19, 2015
Rhode Island
The recommended resistance on sx mini m class for joule mode is 0.065 and is not the lowest it can go, they claim this gives best performance. But I found a very informative thread answering why the battery doesn't drain much faster regardless or resistance which makes sense to me. Thanks for the responses and if interested in the math behind battery drain click the link.Some thought and numbers about DC - DC converters and how the atomizer resistance is not so important.... | E-Cigarette Forum

Reactions: Shigura

KenD

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 20, 2013
Stockholm, Sweden
kennetgranholm.com
The resistance really shouldn't affect the battery life on a vw device (including temp control devices). The amp draw is determined by the set wattage and the charge level of the battery (lower charge level = higher amp draw). The efficiency of the device when bucking or boosting would have an impact, with some devices being more effective in one or the other (with the low resistances with ni200 coils the devices pretty much buck all the time).

Just wanted some advice on the sx mini temp controlled function. I've been using the device primarily in the temp control function with my Lemo 2 and or subtank mini rba with nickel. I've been building 2.5-3mm Id coils ohming in at 0.065 - 0.08 with 26g ni200. Vapes great for the first few tanks then I notice the coil starts to blacken and become quite "gunked up". Been running it at 35-40 joules @ 400-450F and usually set to standard or powerful mode. Anyone else having this problem? Just from watching reviews and such it seems the nickel usually looks as good after a few tanks as it did when first installed... Not the case with mine... Just want to make sure it's something I can change or is it the device itself... Any help is appreciated... Thanks

ChrisCanal

ECF Veteran
Jul 22, 2014
Denver, CO, USA
I have recently bought a sx mini m class and am loving it. However, this is my first mod of the kind and am having a real hard time understanding the math behind the amp draw on the battery and such. I am not new to vaping but have used mech mods almost exclusively until now and are completely comfortable with ohms law . I have read that atomizer resistance has no effect battery life with this mod. If this is correct how? I want to make sure I am playing safe with the correct batteries and running builds below 0.1 ohm in temperature mode seems as if I would be pulling an awful lot of amps from the battery. Please explain how to calculate the amp draw in kanthal mode and temperature mode. Thank you in advance.

One thing to note however, is that the resistance changes with temperture. So your 0.065 coil at room temp may actually be firing at closer to 0.3 ohms. This is why it is hard to determine the Amps you are actually using with these devices. I believe the recommended battery per manufacturer is 20A or more. I would trust that.

cinetrope

ECF Veteran
Apr 12, 2014
Joshua Tree, CA
Another factor to consider with this device (I've been using mine for over a month) is that it sends lower voltage to the coil when fired, typically in the range of 2.0 to 2.5 the way I am using mine. I get a full day of vaping, (around 3 or 4 ml of juice) on a fully charged VTC 4. I love mine. It has made vaping almost boring. Daily maintenance is change a battery, fill a tank, (3 minutes of effort) enjoy 200+ perfect hits.

Reactions: ChrisCanal
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread