Help with new J-Tank, Boge LR Carts, not working (is wicking), just not working....

Status
Not open for further replies.

sessiondrummer

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Jan 22, 2011
    USA
    After watching Phil on Youtube finally decided to try out a J-Tank w./ Boge LR Cartos using my stock Ego batteries. Watched the vid on how to fill, added a few drops to the top of the carto, put in the drip tip, and let it wick for 5 minutes. Have never used tanks or cartos, so I must be doing something wrong. The problem(s) are NOT that it is not wicking which I have seen many posts about. Very hard to draw on, and seems to be sputtering, sometimes throwing hot dripplets of juice into my mouth via the drip tip. Hmmmm, the cartos ARE supposed to stay soaked via the tank, so how could the carto have TOO much juice ??

Blew it out via the battery side, waited, tried again. Very hard draw, not much vapor, and sputtering with hot juice in my mouth. I am using the LR Boge Cartos, and J-Tank from electronic stix with my stock 650, 1000 mah Ego batteries. The only thing I noticed was that there WAS juice coming out the bottom of the carto (the battery end), and also I saw two small holes on the battery side of the carto (I'm assuming for air flow ??). Not sure what I'm doing wrong, but this is NOT a workable solution.

Any J-Tank, carto experts, please chime in. Was VERY much looking forward to moving from Ego LR Atty dripping to the J-Tank / carto vape, but, not unless I can get it vaping...

Kay1959

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Jan 24, 2012
    Out in the middle of Nowhere
    I'm not a J-tank user persea, but it sounds like your carto has flooded. This usually happens *from my own experience* when the air pressure within the tank is not balanced, which causes it to force more juice into the tank than needed. What i do is take a syringe with needle and put some air in it, then I work the needle down between the carto and the end cap. Once the needle is down inside the tank, push the syringe, putting air into the tank. You'll need to blow the carto out again afterwards, but this should work for you.

Flyer

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    May 13, 2012
    Illinois
    First, don't get juice into the center tube when priming the carto. Tilt the carto then drip into it along the side of the carto. Don't over prime the carto! When filling the tank, make sure both caps are attached to the tank. If you fill the tank with the top cap off, placing it on the the tank will create pressure in the tank and push excessive juice into the carto. Fill the tank by pulling the carto down about 1/4 - 1/3 of the way down, pushing it to the side and dripping juice into the tank.

r77r7r

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
  • Feb 15, 2011
    Pa,LandOfTaxes
    Definitely seems flooded. When running well, the top of your carto can be very dry looking.

To further help us help you, could you give us a link to the carto you have, or a description of the type and how big the holes are/ how many holes?

Also, what level of juice are you using? 70/30-60/40? PG/VG.

When I do mine on a Boge, I use 2 small holes from a saddlevalve, I put the carto in an almost full condom and let sit a few minutes. I then pull it out, blow it out well, then put in tank and then fill tank. I take a couple of primer/power off hits, then a few small power-on hits to make sure it's not burning, then vape away. In a hour or so, take it back off battery and clean off battery post, blow the carto out if it's gurgling, dry off bottom of carto.

This is with 60pg/40vg on an 3.4 Joye ego. It's just gonna take a little practice, you'll get there.

sessiondrummer

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Jan 22, 2011
    USA
    Thanks a lot for the quick responses, and suggestions. I bought the smaller J-Tanks from ElectronicStix.com J-TANK, and the Boge LR cartos as well BLANK BOGE 2.0 OHM LOW RESISTANCE 510 CARTOMIZERS (STAINLESS). I followed the vid instructions shown on the J-Tank linked page. It showed taking the top cap off, filling tank up about 2/3'rds the way, installing top cap (which was said TO force juice into the carto), then topping off a few drops on the top of the carto, installed drip tip, waited 5 minutes, and started vaping. I am currently using Copper Creek House Blend @ a 50/50 mix. The above linked pre-punched cartos have two small holes (big enough for medium thickness juices I'm sure) one on either side, near the bottom of the tank.

One thing to add (or ask) as I have never used tanks/cartos before, is that the filler in the cartos was even with the top of the carto. I am assuming this is normal. In order to install the drip tip into this I had to push it into the top of the carto which pushed down (compacted) the filler a bit. Again, don't know if this is right, but it's what I did.

r77r7r, I'm not sure what you meant about your condom method as I am a carto n00b. Do you mean an actual condom filled with juice the carto is submerged in ?? The condom (caps) that come with the carto ??

Although the vid mentioned and viewable in my J-Tank link above does state pushing the top cap on DOES force juice into the carto, I could see that in and of itself forcing too much as was stated here. I'm not trying to bang on the vendor or their vid, but would LOVE the proper method to use, so I could VAPE, and not fuss with it. Not that it matters but this is the drip tip purchased, which I pushed into the top of the carto. 510 Fat Round Drip Tip (BLACK) Thanks again, for any help you guys can provide.

r77r7r

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
  • Feb 15, 2011
    Pa,LandOfTaxes
    "r77r7r, I'm not sure what you meant about your condom method as I am a carto n00b. Do you mean an actual condom filled with juice the carto is submerged in ?? The condom (caps) that come with the carto ??"

Yes, but this tank apparently doesn't need that kink of priming. Go with what Kay said about putting air in the tank, and while you have the needle out, maybe draw some juice out from inside the carto.

Just get it together and blow it out, you should be fine. I've never seen a carto with the filler that high, maybe all this is because you have a defective carto.

For tips on how to use the j-tank, you can go to the sub forum of the supplier on here. I use the easy side-fill tanks-
    Tanks - Mom and Pop Vapor Shop

With practice, you'll figure it out. These tanks work well and are popular.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BPMlexANLXs

Last edited:

sessiondrummer

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Jan 22, 2011
    USA
    " I've never seen a carto with the filler that high, maybe all this is because you have a defective carto."

BINGO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!, errrr kinda. There was some defective involved, but it was a defective USER, not the carto. Cartos come with a white plug under the condoms ?? Who would have thought that ??? LOL, not me the NEW carto user. Apparently I neglected to REMOVE this little white plug, and pushed it down into the carto filler to get the drip tip in. This does cause problems !!!!!! Removing them, ummmm, REALLY helped fix my issues.

Thanks for the help guys. The J-Tank, Boge's and House Blend are now super vaping. :)

Attachments

• carto_cap_1.jpg
      carto_cap_1.jpg
      17.9 KB · Views: 395
    • carto_cap_2.jpg
      carto_cap_2.jpg
      12 KB · Views: 326
    Last edited:

Kay1959

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Jan 24, 2012
    BINGO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!, errrr kinda. There was some defective involved, but it was a defective USER, not the carto. Cartos come with a white plug under the condoms ?? Who would have thought that ??? LOL, not me the NEW carto user. Apparently I neglected to REMOVE this little white plug, and pushed it down into the carto filler to get the drip tip in. This does cause problems !!!!!! Removing them, ummmm, REALLY helped fix my issues.

Thanks for the help guys. The J-Tank, Boge's and House Blend are now super vaping. :)

Lesson #1 in cartomizer filling has now been learned!:laugh: Don't feel bad. We've ALL made silly mistakes with these things while learning about them. Glad to hear your a Happy Vaper now!:thumbs:

sessiondrummer

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Jan 22, 2011
    USA
    Lesson #1 in cartomizer filling has now been learned!:laugh: Don't feel bad. We've ALL made silly mistakes with these things while learning about them. Glad to hear your a Happy Vaper now!:thumbs:

Thanks Kay. :blush:

It's all Phil's fault, he made me want to buy, buy, BUY them. :) I never even removed the plug. Thought it was the end of the carto filling, and only went, "Hmmmmm" when figuring out how to get the drip tip in. I will say that you can MASH the little white plug down into the carto quite nicely with a drip tip. Thanks for getting me where I needed to be people. ECF FTW !!! For the win that is.

Kay1959

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Jan 24, 2012
    :laugh: Oh yeah.....blame it on someone else! I'll be sure to tell Phil you said this! lol!
    Back when I was using just straight cartos, I'd keep the condom on the end when not in use, so the carto wouldn't dry out.
    Don't know HOW many times I'd take a puff and get.... NOTHIN! No wonder! I was sucking on a condom!:oops:

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread