Helpful links and videos for a new user.

Status
Not open for further replies.

RatInDaHat

Peace, I'm outta here
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 22, 2008
Albuquerque, NM
Hey all, I figured i'd start a sticky for new user info. I'll post up my tutorial videos. Feel free to put up things that are good info for new users.

This is not a thread for questions, comments, concerns, etc. It is only for info. I will trim this post if it gets out of hand.

Now for the videos.
How to assemble your first e-cig
MySpace Link: Click Here

My e-cig drag technique

Topping off, dripping, and other maintenance

Quick tip: Draining the atomizer

Noddster

Aug 19, 2008
hi all, dont now if this has already been posted before but hear goes!
i've had my 901 for about 5 days now and touch wood its working perfectly!!
Having collected about 11 "dead carts" i decided to start pulling them to bits and i noticed that the lower 3rd portion of the cart still seemed to contain an awful lot of smoke juice!,
so i rooted out a new and unused ink filling syringe that i had kicking about pulled it apart and dropped 3 of the used cart cores into the syringe I then re assembled the syringe and used it to top off the cart that i am currently using when it started to lose its vapour.
By doing this i have been using the same cart for over a day now!
hope this helps.

Kate

Moved On
Jun 26, 2008
UK
There's a poll thread here about how much eliquid people use - http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...cussion/2817-how-much-eliquid-do-you-use.html

This might be of some use for working out how strong your juice needs to be:

Most people vapourise around 2ml of juice per day.

The measurement of nicotine is per 1ml, so eg, 16mg juice would be 16mg of nicotine per 1ml of juice. That equals 160mg nic per 10ml juice.

1 cig = approx. 1mg nic
1ml of 16mg nic juice = 16mg nic
16mg = 16 cigs
10ml of 16mg juice = 160 cigs

If you vapourise 2ml of eliquid per day and are trying to replace the nic equivalent of 20 cigs you would need to use 10mg strength juice.

Disclaimer - we don't know how nicotine from smoke compares to vapour regarding absorbsion, more or less may enter the blood stream. This is just meant to give a general idea to guide new users. Nicotine is considered harmful in high doses.

Here's another thread that newbies might find useful, it's a poll of members preferences for hardware - http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...reviews/13928-primary-device-preferences.html

And another that discusses value for money - http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/electronic-cigarette-reviews/2452-value-money.html#post38434 The first post does not give an accurate costing of the Janty Kissbox, you have to read the thread a bit to get a good idea of the cost of this device.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kate

Moved On
Jun 26, 2008
UK
Here are some more useful threads for newbies -

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/health-safety-e-smoking/3598-nicotine-safety.html

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...-suppliers-consumers-should-warned-about.html

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...brand-eliquid-would-you-recommend-newbie.html

If you only read one thread, do yourself a favour and make it the nicotine safety one. We've been hearing about people taking very high doses of nicotine with esmoking and not realising it. This stuff can be deadly.

Like so many obscure or newly evolving technologies, e-cigs have a nasty aspect that folks eventually figure out and to which they adapt. With E-cigs this is the dreaded cleaning cycle. Likely engineered in to do us a service, this misguided feature will give your atomizer a toxic taste that is somewhere between burnt chicken soup and hair on fire. As it took me quite a few reads and an e-mail to Cashmere to put together what is happening. I though a short description might help. Any of you long time e-smokers chime in if I've missed something here.

This cleaning cycle is an extended period of atomizer heating intended to revive it periodically.
Most styles of e-cigs will trigger a cleaning cycle atomatically after XX number of puffs. XX varies depending on model. The battery is what triggers the cleaning cycle. Important to note that because a brand new atomizer on a used battery can be subject to a cleaning cycle pretty much immediately.

There is lots of speculation on what causes the foul taste.
Burning e-liquid residue in the atomizer and the cartridge filter material, seem to get the most votes.

The indications you have a cycle in progress are the light flashing when there is no warning condition happening, (such as it needs a charge or you have taken excessive # of puffs in a short time), and perhaps a hiss from the atomizer. When you unscrew the battery during a cleaning cycle the light continues to flash until the cycle is finished. The light also seems to blink longer than during one of the "warning" type cylces.

When you see the light blinking, if you unscrew the battery ASAP, you can limit or prevent the burnt taste.

Lots of advice and theories here about how to recover a "burnt" atomizer. Probably many that would work.
What seems to work for me is to fill it half way with very warm water , seal either end with a finger, shake it and then shake the water out, about 25-30 times. Then I dry it for about an hour and put 3-4 drops of e-liquid on it and let it sit for 10-20 minutes. Then put in a few more drops or a fresh cartidge and smoke it about 6 times without inhaling. After that it seems pretty clear, at least palatable.

I would advise anyone who starts with the e-cigs, as I did, with the goal of replacing analog cigarettes, to get a spare atomizer right away and keep it handy. That way if you blow it and go through the cleaning cycle, which I am sure I will do again someday while driving, you aren't stuck with something unsmokable!!

Kate

Moved On
Jun 26, 2008
UK
Newbies always want one that looks like a real cig. Always. ALWAYS.

But they almost always wind up getting a 901 or a penstyle in the end, because of the short cartridge life and short battery life on the super minis. And the 89mm is the worst of the superminis. It will only give you about 25-30 puffs per cartridge, and about 50 puffs per battery.

Also, although there are now a few exceptions, for the most part the small atomizers on cigarette sized minis limit the amount of vapor, so most people are more satisfied with a 901 or penstyle in that regard, too.

Lastly, as you vape more in public, you will learn that an e-cig that looks like a cigarette will get too much negative attention from other people, whereas one that doesn't look like a cigarette is less noticeable, and often offends the anti-smokers less, thus avoiding problems. Plus some of them look cool.
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...n/5008-anyone-have-dse201-89mm.html#post80322

That looks awesome Rusty. I just got my first e-cig today, a milano. Not many reviews on it but it seems great so far except the first charge is way longer than the 5 hours recommended. May look into the supermini incase the milano doesn't work out.

Is the supermini the same size as a regular cig and is there any concerns over too much nicotine inhilation after taping up the hole?

Kate

Moved On
Jun 26, 2008
UK
... Are these E-Cig's as good as what got us all addicted in the first place ...

1, Yes and no. They taste much better, do not damage your health in any way that can be measured or observed (so far) and do not cause social problems if you are among decent people (not the nazis who would like to burn every smoker and/or vaper alive), BUT:
The taste of our vapour is completely and entirely different to the taste of burning tobacco, paper, glue and additives in a traditional cigarette. So you might miss your tar, CO2, toluen, benzene, ammonia, etc. This is NOT a joke. Those things sound terrible and are poisonous/carcinogenic, but they also intoxicate you almost as much as the nicotine itself. You will not crave nicotine when vaping, but you most probably WILL crave the other substances from a tobacco .... Then it is just a matter of willpower/motivation. If you have no problems with smoking, it might be difficult to stop entirely. If you are motivated to stop by any strong reason, these devices will help you almost miraculously. But the motivation must be there. They will not make you quit. They will just enable you do so.

Hope it helps.
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...107-hello-few-newbie-questions.html#post80269

There are several manufacturers, and dozens of trading companies/wholesalers/middlemen etc. The low quality product mostly moves through places like dealsExtreme, eBay, etc. The "generic" sellers who you find mentioned frequently here have found good suppliers and are all good choices. Puresmoker, e-SmokeyTreats, LitecigUSA, Smokester, Pillbox, and so on. The "Brands" range from some that just resell generics at a higher price but with a warranty, like Njoy, to those who exert a bit more product control or even manufacture their own, like David Yang, Sedansa, or Janty.

And of course, there's a lot of dispute over who really sells or makes or designed what, but that's part of the fun!

As for the 901, avoid ebay and electronic novelty shops, and you will probably be OK with any of the e-cig dealers here.
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/new-members-forum/5217-seems-like-its-all-same.html#post82231

SpaceCadet

ECF Veteran
Jan 10, 2009
Scotland
Hi Dusty ...Its me Rusty lol lol lol ....Just thought i would add my tip for Super Mini Users
Rusty, you're a star. I have the intellicig 'classic', and after getting, and using, the Evo, it seemed a bit, well, rubbish. However, your tip has helped me get use out of it again - in fact it's my e-cig of choice when watching the telly :D

Thank you for rescuing my 'classic' from obscurity :thumbs:

Hi guys,

I'm new to esmoking and bought a Super Mini Penstyle from Epuffer. Is this a rebadged 901?

I can't do links yet (not enough posts but just cut and paste the link below to see which one I got.

epuffer.com/eshop/index.php?target=products&product_id=50

ePuffer Elite MINI penstyle Electronic Cigarette Starter Kit.

Description

The ePuffer Elite MINI penstyle electronic cigarette is a high tech non-flammable product developed to provide smokers with a clean alternative to smoking. It contains, no carbon monoxide, no tar, and no cancer-causing chemicals. It looks, feels and tastes like a real cigarette.

When air flows through the device, it is detected by a microprocessor. This microprocessor then activates an atomizer which injects tiny droplets of the liquid into the flowing air. This produces a vapor mist which is inhaled by the user. The addition of propylene glycol to the liquid makes the mist better resemble normal cigarette smoke. The microprocessor also activates an orange glowing light at the tip to simulate real smoking experience.

Contents

1 Electronic cigarette (Ø= 8.5mm, length: 115mm)
1 AC Battery Charger
1 Extra Recharchable Battery
5 Premium Tobacco Flavor Nicotine cartridges
Instruction Manual

BONUS:
1 Extra Atomizer
5 Premium Tobacco Flavor Nicotine Cartridges (High, Mild, Low or Zero density)
1 Bottle of Premium Flavor E-Liquid refill juice (eStrong, High, Mild, Low or Zero density)
Elite Mini USB Battery Charger
Elegant Velour pouch (while quantities last!)

The picture isn't clear, I'm a little worried I should have bought their Classic Penstyle. My shipment arrives on Monday ... I got 15 cartridges (5 + bonus 5 + 5 I bought) so I'm hoping that lasts about 2 weeks. I smoke about 20 analogues a day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread