Hi everyone, let's talk about MTL and DTL?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gavin Gone

Nov 18, 2019
Recently I am thinking and about to make a decision among these pod box:
smok RPM40
voopoo vinci R and Vinci X
GeekVape Aegis boost
OneVape mace55

Seems that everything is ok with all of them.

The thing is, shoud I buy these for MTL or DTL? Anyone have the same confusion?
Let's talk about this, I think if one likes MTL in daily life, he/she will probably not to switch to DTL, right?

Haktuspit

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Feb 13, 2013
    Denver, CO
    For me MTL was the starting point because that's all that was available. Tried DL (or sub ohm) vaping when it first came out and fell in love pretty quickly. Some people can't stand DL even though they've tried it. Kind of a personal preference thing.

Have you tried both? If not do you have a vape shop nearby you could go to and try both?

Gavin Gone

Nov 18, 2019
    For me MTL was the starting point because that's all that was available. Tried DL (or sub ohm) vaping when it first came out and fell in love pretty quickly. Some people can't stand DL even though they've tried it. Kind of a personal preference thing.

Have you tried both? If not do you have a vape shop nearby you could go to and try both?
    Yeah you're right, that's personal preference. Most of beginners start from MTL, especially the ex-smokers. One of my friends who is a Subohm fan greeted my pod system with scorn :p
    Actually I tried both and rarely do DTL (unless stay alone), and MTL in daily life.

Do you think it's a wise choice to do MTL ONLY with these pod box? (like RPM40, Vinci or Aegis Boost)

vaper1960

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 24, 2019
    California, US
    Until recently all I did was MTL. I got a couple RTAs (rebuildable) They are both the same but come with different airflow inserts so I built one for "loose" MTL and one for "restricted" DL. I was blown away by the restricted direct lung vape. I liked it a lot but unfortunately didn't use lower nic juice... it was a bit too much for me. So, I still love MTL but also love DL (now have lower nic juice for that) I switch up when the mood strikes me but just MTL when out and about (attracts less attention and uses smaller setup easy to carry)

Reactions: MartinD

Haktuspit

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Feb 13, 2013
    Denver, CO
    Yeah you're right, that's personal preference. Most of beginners start from MTL, especially the ex-smokers. One of my friends who is a Subohm fan greeted my pod system with scorn :p
    Actually I tried both and rarely do DTL (unless stay alone), and MTL in daily life.

Do you think it's a wise choice to do MTL ONLY with these pod box? (like RPM40, Vinci or Aegis Boost)

That's all I do with my pod despite being a primary DL vaper. But I really don't use my pod much.

I'm sure better advice is coming.

Reactions: DeloresRose

Ryedan

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Mar 31, 2012
    Ontario, Canada
    Recently I am thinking and about to make a decision among these pod box:
    SMOK RPM40
    Voopoo Vinci R and Vinci X
    GeekVape Aegis boost
    OneVape mace55

Seems that everything is ok with all of them.

The thing is, shoud I buy these for MTL or DTL? Anyone have the same confusion?
    Let's talk about this, I think if one likes MTL in daily life, he/she will probably not to switch to DTL, right?

I smoked MTL for 37 years and switched to vaping MTL with the typical eGo setups we had back in 2012. I switched to DTL in about 7 or 8 months if I remember correctly, have stuck with that until now and am not going back any time soon. But that's just my preference, though it is proof that for one person even after smoking for that long I still ended up enjoying DTL more.

IMO, get a setup that allows you to do both and see how it goes for you over time. The issue is much more related to the atomizer than the power supply. I vape rebuildable tanks at 12 - 13 watts DTL, but most atomizers out there do not allow that to be done well.

A couple more thoughts for you. If you chose a system that allows you to set watts you will have an easier time with it. Specially watch out for systems that only allow you to chose a limited range of variable voltage or a limited number of settings of either. In the range of 5 - 40 watts, I would want to be able to chose any setting between that in one watt increments.

• Agree
    Reactions: Oregon Linda

sonicbomb

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 17, 2015
    1187 Hundertwasser
    Like others here when I started vaping it was MTL only. This was partly because of it's similarity to a cigarette draw, and because the small low power devices that were available with a form factor similar to a cigarette dictate that style of draw.
    Right from the start I wanted a hotter more voluminous DTL vape, but it was years before I found a system that gave me this. But when I did I reached a point where I was completely happy with vaping and not smoking.
    Try all the things, your face will tell you if it's what you like or not.

United States

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 17, 2018
    RVA
    To me MTL is taking a drag. DTL is taking a hit.
    I mostly MTL, but have a couple of adjustable devices set loose enough to take lightweight direct lung hits while still using plus ohm coils.

I see the virtues of both but prefer an MTL 90% of the time. When the urge to chain vape strikes I do a direct lung hit and that usually tamps down the urge to keep inhaling vaper.

Reactions: Eskie

Gavin Gone

Nov 18, 2019
    Until recently all I did was MTL. I got a couple RTAs (rebuildable) They are both the same but come with different airflow inserts so I built one for "loose" MTL and one for "restricted" DL. I was blown away by the restricted direct lung vape. I liked it a lot but unfortunately didn't use lower nic juice... it was a bit too much for me. So, I still love MTL but also love DL (now have lower nic juice for that) I switch up when the mood strikes me but just MTL when out and about (attracts less attention and uses smaller setup easy to carry)
    That's ture, we need to use lower Nicotine strength when switch to MTL device (like Vaporesso ZERO).
    But in my opinion, if one smoker uses MTL device to intake nicotine everyday (like me), he/she will probably not get enough satisfaction when doing DTL with 3mg or 6mg ejuice. So DTL for him, is just a occasionally try.

Gavin Gone

Nov 18, 2019
    I smoked MTL for 37 years and switched to vaping MTL with the typical eGo setups we had back in 2012. I switched to DTL in about 7 or 8 months if I remember correctly, have stuck with that until now and am not going back any time soon. But that's just my preference, though it is proof that for one person even after smoking for that long I still ended up enjoying DTL more.

IMO, get a setup that allows you to do both and see how it goes for you over time. The issue is much more related to the atomizer than the power supply. I vape rebuildable tanks at 12 - 13 watts DTL, but most atomizers out there do not allow that to be done well.

A couple more thoughts for you. If you chose a system that allows you to set watts you will have an easier time with it. Specially watch out for systems that only allow you to chose a limited range of variable voltage or a limited number of settings of either. In the range of 5 - 40 watts, I would want to be able to chose any setting between that in one watt increments.
    OMG, you've been vaping since 2012!
    I only saw the eGo from Google, never tried them yet. Basing your suggestion, the Aegis Boost maybe the best choice because I can use it to do both:) Will try to find which one makes me feel better (I need to buy some high VG ejuices, because only have nicotine salt now)

Gavin Gone

Nov 18, 2019
    Like others here when I started vaping it was MTL only. This was partly because of it's similarity to a cigarette draw, and because the small low power devices that were available with a form factor similar to a cigarette dictate that style of draw.
    Right from the start I wanted a hotter more voluminous DTL vape, but it was years before I found a system that gave me this. But when I did I reached a point where I was completely happy with vaping and not smoking.
    Try all the things, your face will tell you if it's what you like or not.
    Firstly, congrats on your quite smoking. I'll try as more as I can, because I also find the pod system like BLU does not bring me that much, except nicotine satisfaction.
    Is it possible to know what the system is which gave you a hotter and more voluminous vapes? Quite curious about that~

DeloresRose

Vaping Master
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 25, 2014
    toledo ohio
    probably not get enough satisfaction when doing DTL with 3mg or 6mg ejuice. So DTL for him, is just a occasionally try.

Disagree. One gets much more vapor dl, so one also gets much more nic.

And conversely, when people say Juul has far too high nic, that’s wrong also. That device gives so little vapor.

The amount of nic just needs to be appropriate for the device and vape style.

I vape the same mgs per day regardless of whether I use a pod or a cloud chucker.

My purpose for going mostly dl is flavor. But I will use a mtl device for out and about for portability and/or stealth.

Jebbn

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 2, 2018
    safe distance from a black hole
    I started vaping MTL then after a year went to DL and then after a year went back to MTL.
    Now, I mtl and DL.
    My MTL and DL builds are exactly the same, 0.5 to 0.8 28ga SS. That never really changed except to experiment.
    My consumption has remained between 2.6ml to 3.6 ml a day.
    I MTL 3mg to 5mg and I DL 2.5mg to 3.5mg.
    I find DL to be a more effective vape as far as nic goes, lower mg's similar amount consumed.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread