Hi...

Status
Not open for further replies.

surrogatekey

Apr 5, 2018
I'm a digital media researcher who works mostly with public health research teams. Not an ANTZ though, and in general my own research interests aren't especially oriented toward traditional "public health" anyway. But there's a recent post about vaping & public health ethics that I wrote here if anyone's interested.

Online communities are where I have learned the most about vaping, so I figured I should go ahead and join, instead of just lurking. (A thing I'm interested in learning more about at the moment is nicotine salts.)

I don't currently vape myself though. My impression is that this site isn't only for people who vape, but if that's not the case, please just let me know and I'll disappear.

ETA: Ah, no links. That post I mentioned should also turn up by googling "truth telling trust and e-cigarettes."

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Not sure if you are aware that e-cigarette usage is complicated by malevolent outside influences (Big Tobacco and Big Pharma) who would like nothing better than for e-cigarettes to go away, or be over-regulated to the point that they become ineffective and simply disappear. E-cigarettes take money away from both. Both BT and BP have sponsored propaganda campaigns with junk science which social media sensationalizes.

Being that the FDA is primarily funded by Big Tobacco and Big Pharma, it's incentive is to protect both. You don't cut off the hand that feeds you, right?

Vapers see vaping simply as HARM REDUCTION.
CASAA Consumer Advocates for Smoke-Free Alternatives Association

Last edited:

surrogatekey

Apr 5, 2018
Both BT and BP have sponsored propaganda campaigns with junk science which social media sensationalizes.

I'm most familiar with a couple of campaigns linked to public health organizations, which I would describe similarly. Could be there are other, better campaigns out there too, but yeah, that's mostly what I've encountered.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Welcome to ECF, @surrogatekey , and I flee momentarily but I will read your article.

Kudos to you for seeking "real world" data and I think that learning more about what you are studying (vaper or not). We can at the very least teach you terminology, LOL, so your papers aren't littered with the wrong acronyms and words, which always makes (me) as a vaper laugh and wince, simultaneously.

Not saying you are doing that either! I am just saying it HAS been done, in many a vaping article. Sort of undermines the results to me, although probably not the rest of the world.... Sadly.

But, welcome. :)

Anna

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Hi Rachelle. Welcome to the ECF.

You don't have to be Vaper to be a Member of the ECF. In Fact, many who do Not use an e-Cigarette come here to get a Better Understanding about e-Cigarettes.

And how Information (and Dis-Information) has Influenced e-Cigarettes Use, Public Perception and Policy.

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain
Hello and welcome to ECF!

Glad you joined!

I don't vape either.. so your not alone. I smoked for 32 years then used vaping to quit smoking but then I quit vaping.. not everyone does because not everyone wants to but I have..

Anyway - tons of info here hope you find all your looking for.. :)

mav_sd

Verified Member
Sep 16, 2013
Spring, TX
Hi Rachelle, cool to see you here. I read your article and found it to be quite refreshing. Your advocacy for transparency, and engagement with the community are spot on.

I'm sure you'll find tons of useful information here...there are threads upon threads about regulation, legislation, etc here...so lots of opinion, perspective and emotion you can mine for your research.

As others have stated, details about the devices, acronyms, and how people use their devices are abundant as well. If you want to talk the talk, you'll be able to, even if you don't personally walk the walk.

I'm not a Nicotine Salts user, so i can't offer any support there, but welcome, always good to have an advocate join the team!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread