High voltage vaping question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lada

ECF Veteran
Jul 14, 2009
As I was looking at all the post concerning the Xhaler I saw something that I never knew about high voltage mods before. Supposedly I should only drip at 5v-7.2v?

I ask this because as I was enjoying the first 5 min of vaping on the Xhaler, my atty died. Which was most likely because it dried out so fast. But before it died I started to get a metallic burnt taste. So I popped another atty on, the one that Drew sent with the kit, and after 2-4 drag I keep on getting that burnt/metallic taste which I assume means that the atty is running dry. Now the whole time I was experiencing this I was using a PTB filler cart with some Nuport HV juice on 5v.

Just for clarification I use a 510 atty and I refill the cart as well as drip on the atty 2-4 drops, and less than 5 drags later it taste like the atty is dry again. The same occurs even when I just drip and use an empty cart.

So back to my original question, I should only drip when vaping at 5v-7.2v? Or is there a way to get that nice consistency of 30-60 drags on a filled before having to refill the cart or drip the atty?

Please point out anything that I might be doing wrong even if it is small, because this is my first HV mod.

doots

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2009
safe-list.com
Most atomizers come primed with a fluid from the factory. You need on the first few hits or so to just blow them out and not inhale them. The metallic taste is most like primer fluid you inhaled. You should always prime a new atty with several drops of eliquid before use.

You may always use a cart with 5 or 6v. Ive been doing it for many months as a lot of others with no problems or carts buring up. I dont know where drip only started using HV but think its a wifes tale started somewhere.

As far as buring up attys at 5 or 6v: Sometimes you can burn an atty up if not keep wet but for the most part the reason is that a noob to using higher voltage holds the button down for 5 or 6 second hits when that is not necessary.

DO A 2-3 second hit is all that is needed at HV, Keep your carts web but not overly so..
Do prime your atty with a couple of drops of liquid ( no need to over do it) prior to placing your cart on the atty and you will be fine.

Most attys blow when Noobs hold down the button like they are vaping 3.7v for 7-8 seconds. Too much for some attys..

Try to use 5v instead of 6v if you can for the life of the atty.

Make sure the carts are topped off.. Yes you will need to top off more using HV.. Not a huge deal.. At the first hint of a burnt taste add liquid to your cart or drip a few drops on the atty. Never drip on a hot atty. Let it cool first.

I find all atty types work well at 5v.

6v does well with 801s only IMO.

2-3second Hits...

There is a learning curve..

Happy vaping..

HV is not drip only for sure!!

Last edited:

doots

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2009
safe-list.com
As I was looking at all the post concerning the Xhaler I saw something that I never knew about high voltage mods before. Supposedly I should only drip at 5v-7.2v?

I ask this because as I was enjoying the first 5 min of vaping on the Xhaler, my atty died. Which was most likely because it dried out so fast. But before it died I started to get a metallic burnt taste. So I popped another atty on, the one that Drew sent with the kit, and after 2-4 drag I keep on getting that burnt/metallic taste which I assume means that the atty is running dry. Now the whole time I was experiencing this I was using a PTB filler cart with some Nuport HV juice on 5v.

Just for clarification I use a 510 atty and I refill the cart as well as drip on the atty 2-4 drops, and less than 5 drags later it taste like the atty is dry again. The same occurs even when I just drip and use an empty cart.

So back to my original question, I should only drip when vaping at 5v-7.2v? Or is there a way to get that nice consistency of 30-60 drags on a filled before having to refill the cart or drip the atty?

Please point out anything that I might be doing wrong even if it is small, because this is my first HV mod.

Hi Lada,

Since you're using the 510 which is a small cart, yes, you will need to top off much more than using it on a 3.7 device and probably drip also. Use 5v if you can instead of 6v with that atty. And their are adapter so you can use a 801 with your 510 if you want. 801s are much more friendly for 5 and 6v vaping than the 510. IMO The 510 can be tricky to use with 5 and 6v.

Scottes

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 31, 2009
Boston, MA
scottesrum.com

JustJulie

CASAA
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 30, 2009
Des Moines, IA
While I know many folks have had success using cartridges with higher voltage vaping, I haven't been one of them. There's a bit of an "off" taste when your atomizer starts to get too dry. If you don't recognize that taste and you take another puff or two, you're going to most likely fry the atomizer. For me, I have more trouble distinguishing that "off" taste when I use carts, although I'm not sure why.

Anyway, dripping quickly becomes second nature. The only time it's a pain in the .... is when I'm driving. I'm experimenting with the cartomizer at 5V to see if that might be my driving solution. So far, I'm liking it. :)

doots

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2009
safe-list.com
Thanks for all the info everyone. Just wondering though, how many puffs does everyone get off of 2-4 drops on the atty? I know it will vary from among each atomizer as well as juice used. But for me on the 510 with 2-4 drips I'm getting about 5-10 decent puffs now that I started taking shorter puffs.

that's about right.

eclypse

Moved On
Sep 9, 2009
Macomb MI
Try my mod on that high voltage! Blue Foam PLUG! UPDATED v2.0 "THE SLUG" - The Search is over!

Page 25 i finally get my new nhaler thickk juice and its perfect for me with either mod (v1, v2.0).

I did try the mod with my SB i had at the time at 6v. Worked great though was using thin juice at the time. I sold the SB 10 days later with hopes of buying a Xhaler.. which i'm hoping to do today. heh.

A cart with poly and high voltage will end up with a quick dried top end and all juice stuck down the cart.. The foam plug will wick for you!

Oh 510 round cart only.. if you are going to use this on a flat tip 510/901 or 801 look for the other mod that uses a straw to hold the plug.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread