Hoarding NIC juice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vermiform

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 18, 2014
Louisiana
I've read on this forum that some people are buying nicotine liquid and storing it in the freezer. Some have even commented that they have 2 years stored up. I would like to start doing this as well. I'm guessing most of these folks are DIY liquid mixers.

1) What concentrations do most people buy and from where?

2) I vape mostly 70/30 PG/VG so whatever I buy, I want what would most easily give me this ratio if this is even a factor.

3) Flavorings: I want to get some basic ones that are easy to use.

Also: In my quest to build a good liquid for stealth vaping, I bought some 24mg VG and some 24mg PG and a single grape flavor. I mixed it up to where it would come out 90/10 PG/VG and after letting it sit a day I tried it. It was bad....I mean really bad. It was so bad it haunts me.....

Now I know I probably did not wait long enough, but there are mom and pop B&M that mix here in town with good results so I figured it would be OK. Also, I'm wondering if I also need sweetener....

Anyhow, I want to get into DIY and maybe some tobacco extractions in the future but for now I just want to be able to make a simple e-juice that doesn't make me nauseous. :facepalm:

Huckleberried

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 10, 2013
Louisville, KY, USA
Basic, easy to use flavorings. I'm gonna say FlavourArt. Easy, because it's so concentrated you use very little. I mean very little. Their fruits taste like the actual fruit. The Vanillas are wonderful. I've only tried 5 tobaccos. I'm not a tobacco person, my boyfriend is. He usually vapes Hangsen Turkish. Loves it. He also likes Shade and Virginia by FlavourArt. I like 7 Leaves. Here is a thread about samples for $1.50 and some wonderful recipes. Recipes are how I started. I'm only beginning to form my own, but it's been a ton of fun!

Nic. I buy 100mg Nic in PG. So much easier to draw, then add additional PG and a little VG.

Huckleberried

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 10, 2013
Louisville, KY, USA
Some keep their pg/vg in the fridge or freezer. I just keep mine in a dark cool cabinet. When I get my nic, I split it up into 60ml glass bottles, leaving very little room at the top. I wrap them up, not everyone does, but I don't have much freezer space, so that keeps em from being bumped around too much. I keep one of those out to use for mixing.

Here's another thread about nic storage. I learned what I do from this.

I get mine from Wizard Labs, usually. I've gotten it from RTS Vapes, also. Another VERY popular brand lately is Vapers Tek. Those who use it, say its much smoother, no fragrance, better vapes. Costs a little bit more, sourced from the UK, sold from Oklahoma, LOL.

coalyard

ECF Veteran
Feb 20, 2014
Rome, NY, USA
I use 100mg/ml 100% VG nic base. It allows the most flexibility when mixing different ratios. I mostly mix 50-50, sometimes 70-30 PG/VG. I store it in an airtight light proof container in my basement, which is pretty cool. I buy my base from Heartland Vapes, $89 per liter, and it is very good quality. I get PG from Tractor Supply, $20 per gallon, and VG is $18 per gallon.

RonJS

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 26, 2014
SW Chicagoland, IL
..might have to buy some argon and really extend the storage shelf life..:D

I'm thinking I'm going to evacuate my glass bottles with CO2 before filling with nic for storage. I do this now with beer bottles before filling to reduce oxidation. Since I already have everything I need..."what can it hurt?" :unsure:

Ron

wheelie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 12, 2014
Ont. Canada
www.independentont.com
I've read on this forum that some people are buying nicotine liquid and storing it in the freezer. Some have even commented that they have 2 years stored up. I would like to start doing this as well. I'm guessing most of these folks are DIY liquid mixers.

1) What concentrations do most people buy and from where?

2) I vape mostly 70/30 PG/VG so whatever I buy, I want what would most easily give me this ratio if this is even a factor.

3) Flavorings: I want to get some basic ones that are easy to use.

Also: In my quest to build a good liquid for stealth vaping, I bought some 24mg VG and some 24mg PG and a single grape flavor. I mixed it up to where it would come out 90/10 PG/VG and after letting it sit a day I tried it. It was bad....I mean really bad. It was so bad it haunts me.....

Now I know I probably did not wait long enough, but there are mom and pop B&M that mix here in town with good results so I figured it would be OK. Also, I'm wondering if I also need sweetener....

Anyhow, I want to get into DIY and maybe some tobacco extractions in the future but for now I just want to be able to make a simple e-juice that doesn't make me nauseous. :facepalm:

Most juices are not to good when first mixed. Leave the lid off for a couple days. Put lid on and shake every couple hours and leave lid off. After couple days stick it in a dark closet for a couple weeks and then pull it out and try it. It will taste much different.

100mg nicotine and 1000ml I have store in freezer. In Canada you need a prescription for anything over 36mg. So I buy it when I can, when I see it for a good price. it is in a gray area here and a wait and see game what the government decides what to do with esmokes and all the fixings. CHEERS!

RogerWilco357

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 30, 2013
USA
I to like the Wizard labs nicotine and have bought from Ecigexpress and 2 others and have a nice stock pile going on all at 100mg nic.also have some Pg/Vg juice stored in gallon containers for the price you can't beat it. Especially coming off paying almost a dollar per mg of the artisan type E juice . Don't get me wrong i have 200 mls of those juices stored in the fridge and in the Freezer I just need a couple more bottles of this and that to complete me along with the items to make Custards the way I like them extra creamy and eggy which i know isn't good for me but at 40 plus years old I can make that decision. It still should be better than smoking cigarettes ? anyway Wizard labs has good Nic. period.

Vermiform

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 18, 2014
Louisiana
Hoarding? Who is hoarding?

I'm simply preparing for the possibilities. As a DIYer these items are a necessity.

Stocking up on Plywood and screws before Hurricane Season would be considered Wise, not Hoarding. I don't see this as being any different.:D

I'm a prepper and don't see the word hoarding as being negative, though lately it has been used in a negative sense. I certainly see your point however.

Jugband

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 10, 2013
PA, USA
Someone posted this once, it'a a letter they received from Wizard Labs. I don't remember who. Anyway, it was very helpful to me in the proper way to store nic. Thought it might be helpful here also.

Thanks for the enquiry.
Just to clarify, nicotine doesn't have a shelf life as is normally used in
the food industry.
It won't spoil, and be unsafe to consume like a food product.
In the chemical industry, the "expiration date", or retest date, is usually
based on prior stability testing to indicate when a chemical, or solution
should be retested to assure it still meets the original specs for usage.

Nicotine will oxidize in reaction to oxygen, light, heat, and moisture to
form nicotine oxides.
These oxides are strongly colored, and are responsible for the yellow,
brown, and sometimes pink or red shades that you may see develop in nicotine
solutions over time.
In addition to the color change, the solution may develop a stronger
characteristic nicotine aroma, and taste which might interfere with very
light, or delicate flavorings.
When this happens it doesn't mean that a solution is now unusable, but
depending on individual tastes, you may find a heavily oxidized solution
only suitable for use with tobaccos (some find this even preferable), or
other strong flavorings.

While you cannot completely prevent the oxidation process once the pure
extract has been opened and mixed, there are a few storage procedures you
can follow to reduce exposure, and keep the solution as close to it's
original state for the longest period of time as possible.

Nicotine solutions should be stored in amber glass containers with a tight
fitting cap to prevent exposure to oxygen, light, and moisture.
If a nicotine solution is going to be used immediately over the course of a
few weeks, leaving it in the plastic shipping container is acceptable, but
if longer storage is needed, the solution should be transferred into glass
containers due to their superior oxygen barrier, and non-reactive
properties.
*** NOTE: Always properly label any rebottled solutions and chemicals! ***

To avoid repeated exposure of the entire solution to oxygen and moisture
during use, we recommend that the solution be divided up among several
smaller amber glass bottles instead of stored in one large bottle.
This way, you can take one small bottle from storage for short term use
while leaving the other bottles sealed, and untouched until needed at a
later date.
Store the filled amber glass bottles in a freezer to help slow down
molecular movement, and chemical reactions in the solution.
When filling the amber glass bottles, leave a minimal air space at the top
of the neck (approximately 1/4") for possible heat expansion when the bottle
is removed from cold storage, and allowed to warm to room temperature again.

Storage and handling recommendations are the same for both propylene glycol,
and glycerin based nicotine solutions.

On a side note, during our stability testing we've consistently witnessed
faster oxidation of VG based solutions in comparison to PG based solutions.
Whether this is due to a difference of hygroscopic properties, retention of
microbubbles during mixing, or other factors is unknown, but I thought I'd
include that for your own interest.

Thanks again for the good questions, and if we can be of any further help
just let me know.

Best regards,

J. M.
Wizard Labs

Train2

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2013
CA, USA
Damn wish I'd read that - I just stocked up a bit, and went with VG base, just because that's what I was using when I developed my favorite recipes (I know - it shouldn't matter, but just in case)...

I've bought from a couple places, including RTS Vapes and MyFreedomSmokes, but I lean towards Wizard for nic.
And since I got it in today: Kudos to Wizard for excellent packaging - PLEASE stay careful.

It was 107 degrees here today. God knows what that means it hit inside my big metal mailbox...
Each item is individually sealed in a bubble-wrap envelope.
Those are then inside a heat-sealed very thick plastic bag.
That plastic bag is then placed in ANOTHER heat-sealed thick plastic bag.

My VG (just VG - no nic - needed to hit shipping minimum) DID leak a little. Just enough to need a wipedown and worry about label legibility. But NOTHING got through even the first layer of plastic. So I didn't have a big mess unwrapping or moving to storage.

I wouldn't have chosen to subject my supplies to temperature abuse - but it's good to know if it happens that I won't have a soggy, slippery cardboard box - or a puddle of 100 mg nic to deal with.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread