hot coiling above ~6 watts

Status
Not open for further replies.

jgilk1

Verified Member
Jan 23, 2013
Rio Rancho
so i have been playing with an aga-t for about 3 months now (on a silver bullet no kick and a vamo mode 1 or mode 2)

i get a decent coil built 1.7-2.0ohm with 32 (3-4 wraps on wick size) no hot spots and even glow dry burn (i just use the heat and quench method with a blue torch flame and 3 juice burns with a lighter)

I have worked density of coil from tight fit with a paper clip in the wick hole to just a couple wraps around the paperclip very loose and everywhere in between with juice from 100%pg all the way up to 100% vg with mesh of 325, 400, and 500... i can't seem to get above about about 5.5 -6.0 watts with out hot coiling and drying out the wick.... any opinions (normally i vape around 8 watts or so with 20% pg 80%vg)

Crash Moses

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 30, 2012
Lansing, Michigan
Silly question: do you leave the fill-screw out? (I do)

Not a silly question. The only coil I've built that I didn't have to leave the fill screw out was a hybrid I made with SS mesh and 3mm silica down the center.

I've heard many times that with a properly made wick you can leave the screw in but I'm just not that good.

JD1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 20, 2010
KY
Make sure your wick is smaller that the wick hole (it should wobble a little) and work out the hot spots to a fairly high voltage. Start low and ramp it up 4 or 5 tenths of a volt at a time until you're above what you vape at and still glows evenly.

The wick being smaller than the wick hole really helps wicking. Also try to make sure that it's centered enough to not be pressing against the side of the hole.

As you probably already know, these things can be taken out to 15 watts and above easy enough.

I hope this helps and good luck. :vapor:

Edit: Glad to see you got it solved.

EDO

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 15, 2009
Not a silly question. The only coil I've built that I didn't have to leave the fill screw out was a hybrid I made with SS mesh and 3mm silica down the center.

I've heard many times that with a properly made wick you can leave the screw in but I'm just not that good.

I always leave the screw in all my builds. It has nothing to do about being good at making your wick. All you have to do is make the wick smaller diameter than the wick hole. For example if you have 3mm wick hole, make your wicks 2.5mm to 2.8mm. The big advantage of having the fill screw in is that it makes your genny totally 100% leak proof. I always carry my gennies with me and always lay them on their side when not in use....they never ever leak.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread