The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

hot coiling above ~6 watts

Discussion in 'Rebuildable Atomizer Systems' started by jgilk1, May 18, 2013.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. jgilk1

jgilk1 Full Member Verified Member

Jan 23, 2013
    Rio Rancho
    so i have been playing with an aga-t for about 3 months now (on a silver bullet no kick and a vamo mode 1 or mode 2)

i get a decent coil built 1.7-2.0ohm with 32 (3-4 wraps on wick size) no hot spots and even glow dry burn (i just use the heat and quench method with a blue torch flame and 3 juice burns with a lighter)

I have worked density of coil from tight fit with a paper clip in the wick hole to just a couple wraps around the paperclip very loose and everywhere in between with juice from 100%pg all the way up to 100% vg with mesh of 325, 400, and 500... i can't seem to get above about about 5.5 -6.0 watts with out hot coiling and drying out the wick.... any opinions (normally i vape around 8 watts or so with 20% pg 80%vg)

2. Hiding

Hiding Senior Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Feb 26, 2013
    Milwaukee, WI
    How are you wrapping the coil? Drill bit? On the wick? On the wick in the device?

If you can, post a picture or 2 of your coil/wick.

3. pdib

pdib Registered Supplier - Offline ECF Veteran

Nov 23, 2012
    Silly question: do you leave the fill-screw out? (I do)

4. Crash Moses

Crash Moses Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Nov 30, 2012
    Lansing, Michigan
    Not a silly question. The only coil I've built that I didn't have to leave the fill screw out was a hybrid I made with SS mesh and 3mm silica down the center.

I've heard many times that with a properly made wick you can leave the screw in but I'm just not that good.

5. jgilk1

jgilk1 Full Member Verified Member

Jan 23, 2013
    Rio Rancho
    fill screw solved it.... lol thanks pdib

6. JD1

JD1 Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Nov 20, 2010
    KY
    Make sure your wick is smaller that the wick hole (it should wobble a little) and work out the hot spots to a fairly high voltage. Start low and ramp it up 4 or 5 tenths of a volt at a time until you're above what you vape at and still glows evenly.

The wick being smaller than the wick hole really helps wicking. Also try to make sure that it's centered enough to not be pressing against the side of the hole.

As you probably already know, these things can be taken out to 15 watts and above easy enough.

I hope this helps and good luck. :vapor:

Edit: Glad to see you got it solved.

7. EDO

EDO Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Feb 15, 2009
    I always leave the screw in all my builds. It has nothing to do about being good at making your wick. All you have to do is make the wick smaller diameter than the wick hole. For example if you have 3mm wick hole, make your wicks 2.5mm to 2.8mm. The big advantage of having the fill screw in is that it makes your genny totally 100% leak proof. I always carry my gennies with me and always lay them on their side when not in use....they never ever leak.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.