How and when do I clean my setup?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tara81

ECF Veteran
Mar 13, 2014
canada
How often do I clean out my tanks and attyz ? Will just soaking in hot water be good enough?

Is it okay to switch flavors in a tank without fully cleaning / soaking in hot water for hours?

For ego style battery, evod vv, how do I clean the battery top, just with q-tip or q-tip and water?
How long should I wait for the battery top to dry after cleaning before charging?
Do I clean the charger, if so, how ?

My kanger evod vv 1000 mah batteries take 4-5 hours to charge, they are 2 years old. Is this normal ? (I only used them for 1 month then quit and recently started up again)

How long does kanger protank 2 atties usually last?
How long does innokin iclear 16 atties usually last?
How long does nautilius mini tank atties last ?
How long does aspire vivi nova atties last?

I ordered an innokin itaste v4 so I would also like to know this:

For 1.5 ohm vaping, what wattage and voltage should I start at?
for 2.4 ohm vaping, what wattage and voltage should I start at?
for 1.8 and 2.2 ohm vaping, what wattage and voltage should I start at?

I want to get direct lung hits, is it possible without sub ohming ? Is it possible to sub ohm with an innokin itaste?

How long should I wait for batteries to cool down before and after charging, before using ?

Last edited:

Dextrose

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 1, 2015
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Hello @tara81 i clean my attys/tanks once every couple weeks, hot water and dish soap or as mentioned above voldka works great, as for the batt a Q-tip and rubbing alcohol, and as for cleaning before changing flavors, i dont usaly, depends on the flavor, sometimes that little mix turns out realy good,

MoDmAnDaN

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 31, 2013
Spanaway, Wa.
If I'm just changing cotton, I usually don't clean to much. But if you're rebuilding the coils, I would clean with hot water then. I have never really found a benefit to Vodka or similar except to waste money.

I also completely tear down the dripper/atty right down to taking all the insulators out and cleaning them. But I do this maybe every four to five builds.

Taowulf

ECF Veteran
Mar 9, 2014
Bend OR
I clean my tanks and drippers when making a change to a juice that is very different from what I was vaping previously, or if they are just gunked up. If I am changing coils, I will usually start fresh with a clean atty then too.

Hot water, a little rinsing and you are good to go. With premade coils, a longer soak, maybe repeated a couple of times until the water isn't tinted by the juice and then a long air dry. If the coil is really gunked up and you care not comfortable with replacing the wick, toss it and move on. If you can replace the wick or if it uses heat resistant silica rather than cotton, a dry fire to burn the gunk off and a rinse can keep it going for a bit longer.

As far as voltage/wattage to use, start with the lowest marked wattage on the coil itself and work up until you like it. This chart also helps -

safe-vaping-power-voltage-resistance-ohm-chart.jpg

Frenchfry1942

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 12, 2014
You mentioned factory tanks and factory coils.

The tanks, I cleaned when the bottle was empty or each 15ml. I took the atty out and cleaned the tank with hot water. I vaportowel dried it and let it sit overnight to further dry. The atty, I did the same with a little more attention to nooks and crannies, but it MUST be dry to use again.

Really, the atty needs cleaning when flavor drops off. It is just clogged and gunky. Clean it then and the tank as well. I do have to say that the atty was only good for 1-2 cleanings. Unless you have the experience to really dis-assemble it and rebuild it. That is your call.

I have ALWAYS had multiple tanks so that when some are in the cleaning process or to have multiple flavors available. I generally have flavor in 4-6 toppers at a time. I currently use RTAs.

A good direction to go, I think.

Good luck!

Oh, I forgot. This is a good ohm calculator. Put in the resistance (ohms) and 3.9 for volts and it will tell you the watts to use. It does a huge amount more, but it will tell you the watts for a battery-saving vape. If you want, add a few watts if it tastes better. If you go to high with a factory coil, it will burn and be ruined.

Ohm's law

Here is another that seems simpler on my eyes...

Ohms Law Calculator

Last edited:

Taowulf

ECF Veteran
Mar 9, 2014
Bend OR
I was working on building a deck, Continuity beat me to it. :)

I never really seen a chart updated for subohm, but most premade coil manufacturers have gotten in the practice of printing a range on the outside of the coil, the low end is a good starting point. Don't start at the top end, I rarely had decent results there personally.

I just happen to have some Kangertech coils next to me, Kanthal, .5Ω, they are marked 15-30W.

Reactions: djsvapour

mcclintock

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
  • Oct 28, 2014
    I rarely clean tanks with water unless the taste seems off even after changing coils, or it looks bad. Once every 3 months at most. I do sometimes dump out the last bit of juice before refilling if it's dark and dirty looking. Also now have enough spare EVOD bases that I can switch to a cleaner one (I really need to stop carrying bare clearos in my pocket). Likewise, I usually wipe out the top of the battery with paper towel, but often. With cheap clearos I try to dedicate each one of them to a flavor or flavor family, switching to something that would mix.

Resistance doesn't tell you much for sure. There is some tendency to run around the same voltage so higher resistance will draw less power. But I think oldstyle Kanger stuff is for lower voltage than Aspire for example. Kanger batteries claim 3.7 V but I've never owned one to measure it. That's may be the nominal voltage of the battery cell but I think it's a voltage they get sort of stable by taking it down a little with a fully charged battery, letting it straight through in the middle and then it falls off below that towards the end which might give you a hint it needs charging. Whereas a coil that wants 4.2 volts would need a boost circuit.

I use the 2.2 ohm coils on single coil EVODs and Protanks as most VV batteries won't go down low enough for the 1.8's. That's about 5.2 watts at 3.5 V . Plenty of taste. Actually the EVODs have more flavor than the Protanks but I have a mini PT2 that's at least 2 years old. EVODs usually only last 3-9 months before leaking too much but mine are $2 (plus a decent coil). If for some reason I vaped on one all the time, coils would be ready for replace, or rewick at least, probably within 4 days, but I spread the load.

wheelie

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 12, 2014
    Ont. Canada
    www.independentont.com
    New coils every second tankful usually. I like my first vape to be as good as my last vape and don't wait for a vapor loss or bad taste. If you don't rebuild factory coils I would not recommend what I do as if you buy all the coils it would put you in the poor house. LOL CHEERS!

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread