The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

How long can i keep ?

Discussion in 'DIY E-Liquid' started by SonnyCooL, Jan 3, 2019.

Tags:
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. SonnyCooL

SonnyCooL Super Member ECF Veteran

Jan 12, 2018
    i try to mix PG n VG only juices, no flavor no nicotine, how long can i keep those juice after mix ?

• Like Like x 1
  2. bombastinator

bombastinator Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Sep 12, 2010
    MN USA
    PG and VG do not decay. Nicotine does though. It is susceptible to heat and light. Ejuice kept in a freezer though can last a very long time.

It is unsurprising you experienced flavor changes. You diluted the juice. Also VG tends to have a muting affect on flavors. High VG juices generally have flavor profiles adjusted to account for the changes made by VG

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. BrotherBob

BrotherBob ECF Guru ECF Veteran

Dec 24, 2014
    Sunnyvale,CA,USA
    Depends on the environment you keep the mix in and the susceptibility of the chemicals to standard temperature and temperature (STP). I would think storing the mix in a refrigerator in a sealed oxygen free light proof container at a constant temperature would pretty much maximize your storage lifetime. As to how long it would last is anyone's guess.

• Like Like x 2
  4. SonnyCooL

Jan 12, 2018
    cause i just purchase 1000ml VG n 500 ml PG, so should be almost perfect for 70/30, plan to mix it up, than play with flavor and nicotine later ...

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  5. BrotherBob

Dec 24, 2014
    Sunnyvale,CA,USA
    Might try mixing only a small batch to last 2 to 4 weeks before mixing it all to begin with. My tastes rapidly changed when I first started vaping. You can always add nic at a latter date to *any ratio of PG/VG mix, here again, might be wise to mix small manageable nic batches.
    *Nic is also cut/base with different PG/VG ratios, so your initial nic ratios may change very slightly.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  6. SonnyCooL

Jan 12, 2018
    my initial step should be no nit n flavor. :)

• Like Like x 2
  7. BrotherBob

Dec 24, 2014
    Sunnyvale,CA,USA
  8. SonnyCooL

Jan 12, 2018
    with no favor n nit, it safe to keep it for long term right ? proper storage.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. BrotherBob

Dec 24, 2014
    Sunnyvale,CA,USA
    I would think you would be all right mixed for a year or so. I have a gallon of VG stored in a cool dark place that does not vary more than 40 F. for 3 years and still tastes fine, as for PG, I don't know how stable that is. The VG has been only opened 3 or 4 times to take a few pints out and transferred to a smaller container.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. IDJoel

IDJoel Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Feb 20, 2015
    Boise, ID
    A mixture, of ONLY PG and VG, should be extremely stable (PG is naturally antimicrobial; and neither are susceptible to oxidation). Just keep the majority of it, in a cool dark place, and I would expect it to easily last for a year or more. I could even see it lasting for multiple years.

I have (separate) gallons of PG and VG, that are going on four years old, and I can not detect any change in either.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  11. Katya

Katya ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Feb 23, 2010
    SoCal
    Agreed. I'm using my VG and PG that are at least 2 years old, if not older, no change whatsover. Kept in a dark closet in dark bottles, never refrigerated or frozen.

Nicotine and flavors and other additives do deteriorate with time, though.

• Like Like x 2
  12. IDJoel

IDJoel Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Feb 20, 2015
    Boise, ID
    Mine aren't even in dark bottles. They have remained in the HDPE (translucent) one gallon jugs they shipped in.:) I imagine the dark closet reduces/removes the need for light blocking containers.
    Yep; I completely agree.:thumb::D

• Like Like x 2