Not open for further replies.

BuzzKilla

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 4, 2010
Etobicoke, Ontario
www.graindeep.etsy.com
A lot of SS genisis users are slowly disappearing, for reasons that do not make sense to me....
Probably due to the "difficulty" :blink: in building with SS, and the dreaded geni tilt:ohmy:.
The gangster tilt while vaping defeats the purpose of this and is grounds for disqualification.... it also makes you look silly.

So here it goes...

How low can you go before "the tilt" is necessary?

Here are my results :D
~The Build~
Material: 400 SS Mesh
Coil(s): dual coil 30ga Kanthal @ 0.5 ohms
Geni: Ti Steam Turbine
juice: D.I.Y 88% VG Juice
6xkXfIENrmKuS2irYAsgKP1s_nXUg3Nf7ZUJCabcq5Y=w516-h822-no

Picture taken after first dry hit.

* this is a "just for fun" thread so let's try to keep it that way...
** if we learn something from what others are doing, that is just a bonus!

Last edited:

Froth

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 1, 2014
Chipotle.
I love Genesis style atomizers, my EDV is a pyrex RSST and I haven't changed the build in it for over three weeks and it's still going strong.

The way I normally hit my vape, no matter what device is on it is to hold it horizontally to the ground or at least somewhat sideways. It's just comfortable that way for me, but I do have a VERY nice performing wick that doesn't dry hit for me ever(all the way down to the last drop). It's a variation of the "Hybrid" wick with SS and cotton, but I wanted one that I could dry burn with the mesh still in place and not burn the cotton...so I came up with this. I guess I would call this a three piece hybrid SS mesh/cotton wick.

This is 400ss mesh, the three components make it up, a full length normal 400ss mesh tube, it is enough material to basically make a single wrap straw of mesh that is ~2.5mm in size. The bottom half of it has a very small piece of organic cotton in it, the mesh is also angle cut on the tip and the cotton barely sticks out. The top smaller piece of mesh is a nearly solidly rolled section that will just barely fit inside the top of the hollow SS mesh wick, and sit on top of the cotton.
-
hywick1.jpg

I roll that up, like any normal ss mesh wick to just barely fit inside my coil - due to the nature of the coil I run in my RSST I cannot wrap directly on the SS mesh, I wrap it on a ~2.5mm rod and insert the wick later. I keep the smaller piece of mesh that is nearly solid OUT until after I already have the wick in the coil. This is the first two pieces rolled together.
-
hywick2.jpg

Now that I have the ss mesh tube with cotton inside in my device I can insert the smaller almost solid rolled piece of 400 SS mesh into it, and it will sit just on top of the cotton. I have trimmed this so that the wick just barely clears the top coil.
-
hywick3.jpg

Final assembled product, this thing really wicks well for me. I have used it with 100% VG, 50/50 pg/vg and 25/75 pg/vg juice with no issues and no burnt or dry hits.
-
hywick4.jpg

I should also mention, the coil is a .52 ohm twisted 26ga 5/4 wrap and this wick keeps up with it and provides exceptional flavor for me.

When it is empty, I can still dry burn it to clean the coil of any crud on it and just fill with a new flavor. The cotton doesn't burn. I am able to keep the fill plug IN the RSST with all juices I have used and because of the nature of the wick I am using I have yet to experience a leak through it. I can set the device upside down and juice does not leak out of the wick, I can set it sideways on my desk for long periods of time and juice does not leak. This is my EDV, I carry it everywhere with me and I am able to just throw it in my pocket and not worry about it. I'm usually someone who likes to build and re-build but since I stumbled onto this wick and coil I've had this RSST set with this exact coil and wick that I have pictured for over three weeks and I don't see myself changing it. Even the cotton is three weeks old, and when I took the pictures I just rolled the same cotton back up into it and I've been vaping on it happily while I wrote this post. I get the nice flavor of SS mesh, with the wicking ability of cotton and the convenience of a genesis without leaking. This is a neat thread, I'm very curious to see any other really clever/different wick ideas.

Last edited:

etchie

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2013
Winter Springs, FL, USA
I love Genesis style atomizers, my EDV is a pyrex RSST and I haven't changed the build in it for over three weeks and it's still going strong.

The way I normally hit my vape, no matter what device is on it is to hold it horizontally to the ground or at least somewhat sideways. It's just comfortable that way for me, but I do have a VERY nice performing wick that doesn't dry hit for me ever(all the way down to the last drop). It's a variation of the "Hybrid" wick with SS and cotton, but I wanted one that I could dry burn with the mesh still in place and not burn the cotton...so I came up with this. I guess I would call this a three piece hybrid SS mesh/cotton wick.

This is 400ss mesh, the three components make it up, a full length normal 400ss mesh tube, it is enough material to basically make a single wrap straw of mesh that is ~2.5mm in size. The bottom half of it has a very small piece of organic cotton in it, the mesh is also angle cut on the tip and the cotton barely sticks out. The top smaller piece of mesh is a nearly solidly rolled section that will just barely fit inside the top of the hollow SS mesh wick, and sit on top of the cotton.
-
hywick1.jpg

I roll that up, like any normal ss mesh wick to just barely fit inside my coil - due to the nature of the coil I run in my RSST I cannot wrap directly on the SS mesh, I wrap it on a ~2.5mm rod and insert the wick later. I keep the smaller piece of mesh that is nearly solid OUT until after I already have the wick in the coil. This is the first two pieces rolled together.
-
hywick2.jpg

Now that I have the ss mesh tube with cotton inside in my device I can insert the smaller almost solid rolled piece of 400 SS mesh into it, and it will sit just on top of the cotton. I have trimmed this so that the wick just barely clears the top coil.
-
hywick3.jpg

Final assembled product, this thing really wicks well for me. I have used it with 100% VG, 50/50 pg/vg and 25/75 pg/vg juice with no issues and no burnt or dry hits.
-
hywick4.jpg

I should also mention, the coil is a .52 ohm twisted 26ga 5/4 wrap and this wick keeps up with it and provides exceptional flavor for me.

When it is empty, I can still dry burn it to clean the coil of any crud on it and just fill with a new flavor. The cotton doesn't burn. I am able to keep the fill plug IN the RSST with all juices I have used and because of the nature of the wick I am using I have yet to experience a leak through it. I can set the device upside down and juice does not leak out of the wick, I can set it sideways on my desk for long periods of time and juice does not leak. This is my EDV, I carry it everywhere with me and I am able to just throw it in my pocket and not worry about it. I'm usually someone who likes to build and re-build but since I stumbled onto this wick and coil I've had this RSST set with this exact coil and wick that I have pictured for over three weeks and I don't see myself changing it. Even the cotton is three weeks old, and when I took the pictures I just rolled the same cotton back up into it and I've been vaping on it happily while I wrote this post. I get the nice flavor of SS mesh, with the wicking ability of cotton and the convenience of a genesis without leaking. This is a neat thread, I'm very curious to see any other really clever/different wick ideas.

I saved this thread just so I can try this (hopefully) tomorrow! I get constant dry hits and never really felt that comfortable with genesis atty's. I've got a Kraken sitting aside that I've been really wanting to make use of.

Kemosabe

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 21, 2011
Roe Dylin
Froth, amazing innovation. i need to try that.

BuzzKilla- that is a crazy low juice level for no dry hits and without having to tilt. im envious. my gennys need a tilt here and there even when as much as half-full. i use a solidly rolled #500 mesh wick yet it dries out under the coil with a sub ohm build if i chain vape. i figured there was nothing i could do about that. i do not keep the fill screws in any of my gennys.

how is the wick set up on yours and how can it allow you to go so low before a dry hit?

BuzzKilla

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 4, 2010
Etobicoke, Ontario
www.graindeep.etsy.com
I use 400 mesh, it is a good medium...
I can adjust the way I roll it to suit the juice viscosity.

The way I roll my mesh is a bit unique, but very easy.

I roll it solid but not tight.
When you look at the mesh from the end, it looks like a cinnamon bun. Dense but there is a gap between each layer. The gap is just slightly thicker than the mesh itself.

It's not always perfect though.

Since this pic I have been able to empty out the tank completely without dry hits.

:)

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Kemosabe

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 21, 2011
Roe Dylin
I use 400 mesh, it is a good medium...
I can adjust the way I roll it to suit the juice viscosity.

The way I roll my mesh is a bit unique, but very easy.

I roll it solid but not tight.
When you look at the mesh from the end, it looks like a cinnamon bun. Dense but there is a gap between each layer. The gap is just slightly thicker than the mesh itself.

It's not always perfect though.

Since this pic I have been able to empty out the tank completely without dry hits.

:)

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

i can see why that method works. thanks, im going to try that. ive got a bunch of 400 that i abandoned for 500 so i ought to go back to it, a la the cinnamon bun.

Blackboar

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2014
Upper Marlboro, MD
I'm quite a fan of the Pyrex RSST. I'm build mine to 1.6 ohms and use a hollow ss mesh wick with #400 mesh. I roll my wick around a 5/64 drill bit and it fits quite snug in the wick hole.

My wick lasted 4 weeks before I changed it. I could have probably used it for another tank or 2, but I felt like putting on a fresh one.

brickfollett

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 25, 2013
Washington

-
hywick1.jpg

-
hywick2.jpg

-
hywick3.jpg

-
hywick4.jpg

Looked like a replica of my rsst besides the coil! Try a microcoil. You won't be disappointed

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

BuzzKilla

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 4, 2010
Etobicoke, Ontario
www.graindeep.etsy.com
i can see why that method works. thanks, im going to try that. ive got a bunch of 400 that i abandoned for 500 so i ought to go back to it, a la the cinnamon bun.

honestly... i explained this method to a few people locally... and this trick alone has resparked their interest in Genisis-style tanks.
we've been calling it the cinnawick.. lol
I've been doing it this way for well over a year... after trying everything else, this has given me the most consistent results.

For pocket friendly tanks
i do the same thing but i wrap around a thin paper clip, to make it hollow.
and leave the fill hole plugged.

There is a trade off. You wont he able to chain vape, but you can leave it on its side for a good hour or two, without leaks.

Coelli

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 5, 2014
Los Angeles, CA
I've had a Kraken for a few weeks (won it in a giveaway from Craft Vapery, have to give them a shout out for that :) ) and built it multiple times with rope and mesh or rope and an XC-116 sleeve. I couldn't deal with the metallic taste I kept getting no matter how much I oxidized or how long I waited. It was like licking tinfoil. I even posted a thread whining about how I couldn't get it right.

So I finally built it with XC-116 only. Here it is at about .5 with 26g kanthal. The XC-116 (ReadyxWick from RBA Supplies) wicks so well there is never, ever a dry hit even when chain vaping and you don't have to tilt it even when the tank is low. I think you can see how juicy the wicks are in the photo. Best part, I can dry burn it completely clean when it gunks up. No worries about shorts or hot spots; I just slid a needle into each wick while wrapping. The wick is more expensive, but I don't like the taste of cotton or how it tends to burn. The flavor on this is INTENSE.

13951687287_e5e9264898.jpg

Last edited:

mohitgarg

Verified Member
Apr 8, 2014
India

Coelli

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 5, 2014
Los Angeles, CA
I run cotton or yarn in all my gennys down to 0.4ohm and they all have no problem, no leaks etc.,... I do like the xc build looks dope, I haven't been there yet...

I can't stop singing the praises of the stuff. I've been using it in all of my builds (drippers, Sophias, and now the Kraken) since I found it a few months ago. Being able to dry burn it completely clean means I never have to rebuild it until the coil itself gives out, and I never have to mess with the wick once it's built. If it gunks up, just dry burn and go. It's expensive compared to everything else, especially cotton, but it's been worth it. Cotton tastes weird to me and makes me cough if I don't change it soon enough. I had to change it out at least once a day in my RDAs when I used it.

Oh, also, it holds a LOT of juice! It's got a hollow core.

Coelli

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 5, 2014
Los Angeles, CA
Where is the best place to get it, what size is good for gennys, mine generally have smaller holes, like kraken sized..

The only place that really sells it properly treated is rbasupplies.com. I'm using 3mm in the Kraken (not a clone) but they recently started offering 2mm.

Expect some sticker shock at the price, but if that doesn't throw you, try it out. I do boil mine once I get it. Once it settles in there is absolutely no taste except the juice. I also re-use it, if the ends fray too much after a couple of builds (it doesn't fray as badly as silica) I cut them off and use the same piece in a different build that uses a shorter wick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread