How many button presses?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
My vtc mini records and displays firing time and fire button presses. That's useful for a few reasons. I'm accumulating a 10 year supply of nic, mods, and rda's in case of government interference. So how many mods do I need so that at least one of them will still be working in 10 years? The puff counter on the vtc mini says I'm pressing the fire button about 650 times a day X 365 days = about 250,000 clicks a year. That's a lot of clicks. Are there any electronics wonks on the forum who have experience with these board mounted buttons or know how they are rated? If the outside limit is half a million clicks then 2 years is the life of the product for my use. If a million clicks is realistic then it's 4 years.

Two_Bears

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 4, 2015
Northern Arizona
My vtc mini records and displays firing time and fire button presses. That's useful for a few reasons. I'm accumulating a 10 year supply of nic, mods, and rda's in case of government interference. So how many mods do I need so that at least one of them will still be working in 10 years? The puff counter on the vtc mini says I'm pressing the fire button about 650 times a day X 365 days = about 250,000 clicks a year. That's a lot of clicks. Are there any electronics wonks on the forum who have experience with these board mounted buttons or know how they are rated? If the outside limit is half a million clicks then 2 years is the life of the product for my use. If a million clicks is realistic then it's 4 years.
You could up your level of nicotine so you wont need to hit it so often

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
You could up your level of nicotine so you wont need to hit it so often
That begs the question. The manufacturers who make the button componants have tested them and know how long they might last. A button press tester would not be high tech. I'd like the benefit of that information. Vaping mod fire buttons must get more use than the buttons on any other consumer device. May be a million presses is no big deal. May be that number is impossible.

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
I would imagine a microchip would go out before the button, but I guess I'm not sure. My IPVD2 I bought in Nov after irregular use in the house, no pushing it or anything. IMO to guarantee your mod will work in 10 years, you'll need a mech mod. Would be good to do some research and grab a mech at least for back up.
A single mod doesn't need to last 10 years. If one vtc mini would go 4 years before something fails then one out of 4-5 might still be working in 10 years. My vape is TC and rda's. I watched some battery venting videos on youtube. That was the end of my interest in mechs.

Bad Ninja

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 26, 2013
God's Country
That begs the question. The manufacturers who make the button componants have tested them and know how long they might last. A button press tester would not be high tech. I'd like the benefit of that information. Vaping mod fire buttons must get more use than the buttons on any other consumer device. May be a million presses is no big deal. May be that number is impossible.

Lol

I doubt chinese manufacturers budget money to heavily R&D vaporiser switches.
Most are assembled using off-the-shelf parts.

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
Lol

I doubt chinese manufacturers budget money to heavily R&D vaporiser switches.
Most are assembled using off-the-shelf parts.
The testing would be done by the componant manufacturer but the chinese mod makers do it too. One of pbusardo's factory visit videos shows a button press tester running in one of the mod factories. I forget which one. One of the things you learn watching those videos is the principle manufacturers care a lot about quality. Their qulity control procedures are visible every step of the way and they are happy to point them out. Never the less a million button clicks is still just 4 years of estimated use so, how long are they rated to last?

Bad Ninja

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 26, 2013
God's Country
The testing would be done by the componant manufacturer but the chinese mod makers do it too. One of pbusardo's factory visit videos shows a button press tester running in one of the mod factories. I forget which one. One of the things you learn watching those videos is the principle manufacturers care a lot about quality. Their qulity control procedures are visible every step of the way and they are happy to point them out. Never the less a million button clicks is still just 4 years of estimated use so, how long are they rated to last?

Testing would have to be done within application parameters.
In otherwords: tested on a vaporizer.
Actual end-product testing.

This, of course, would raise the cost astronomically.

In most vaping devices
Your board will fail before the switch.

Cacique

ECF Veteran
May 4, 2014
Orlando, FL
I was just saying if you wanted to be 100% sure that mod will be working in 10 years, and that you didn't get something DOA or faulty when you pick it up in the future, would be to get a mech. To avoid a battery venting, just follow proper battery safety. It's much easier now that there are some tools to help us like steam engine. I just punch in my ohms and make sure it's safe for my battery, make sure the wrap on my battery is intact and don't not too tight in the mod. For added safety I don't use direct to battery mods.

I prefer regulated, but mechs can be safe, you just have to be aware of what you're doing and using. And I have no issues if you want to have regulateds for back up, just making a statement that the mech will outlast a device with a chip and will work as a more long term device. Hopefully this won't be an issue for either of us, because I prefer regulated mods as well.

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
Testing would have to be done within application parameters.
In otherwords: tested on a vaporizer.
Actual end-product testing.

This, of course, would raise the cost astronomically.

In most vaping devices
Your board will fail before the switch.
I imagine the mod factory tester in the video was pushing the button on a complete mod. A button pressing machine is about as simple as it gets and could accelerate the life cycle test to several 10's of thousands of presses per day so it should not be so hard to estimate the life of the button. The only reason this matters is the potential for government interference. If the products remain freely available it's not so important at these price points whether the buttons last half a million clicks or a million clicks.

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
its called MTBF...
manufacturer time before failure... (?)
normally something designed for everyday use is rated for 1 million actuations...
I wrote to eleaf but got an "add failed" message on two attempts so we'll see if the got it.

I asked about button endurance. I also suggested a version of the firmware that limits max watts to 40 so the cut off voltage can be a bit lower for the sake of more endurance and safety margin. I never go above 30 watts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread