How to wick nickel

Status
Not open for further replies.

a tez

Mar 21, 2015
New York
Been playing with 28g nickel ni200 and am having a hard time wicking and dewicking with KGD without deforming the coils. Have any of you used tempered nickel and does it hold up better? What about different wicking material?

You need to be delicate when wicking with ni200. I usually use enough cotton to make it cause some tension but still passes through the coil easily. The cotton needs to make full contact throughout the coil because if not the TC doesn't work as well. I use KGD cotton as well.

I have tempered ni200 and I honestly prefer the annealed.

xtwosm0kesx

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 30, 2010
Face down in the gutter, USA
To avoid deformation when removing a gunky wick, i've found carefully cutting off the wick right at the edge of the coil then pulling it out from the opposite side works well. (i use 30g, so even softer, though i work harden it a bit)

If you're having bad problems with it deforming when putting in fresh wick, it almost surely means you've got too much wicking material.

JimScotty0

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 10, 2014
Garden Grove, CA, USA
www.facebook.com
Been playing with 28g nickel ni200 and am having a hard time wicking and dewicking with KGD without deforming the coils. Have any of you used tempered nickel and does it hold up better? What about different wicking material?
Try twisting it with some 30ga Kanthal. You won't have a problem with the coil deformation and the Kanthal plays no part in the current flow since the resistance is so much higher than the NI200. More surface area too for the ejuice so you get great flavor. I have been doing the 26ga NI200 with 28ga Kanthal with great results and you get a very stiff coil to wick too.

Ryuukon

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 19, 2013
Wyoming, USA
Like what has already been said, twisting the cotton while you feed it into the coil can help. The other thing I do is hold the coil in place with my fingernail while I pull cotton through. It will compress the coil, but then you just pull the cotton back and forth a few times to get the coil spaced out again.

Reactions: jackmormon
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread