I achieved a major stepping stone with making a cartomizer tonight

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mark Linehan

ECF Veteran
Sep 15, 2010
Salem, MA
marknsalem.blogspot.com
Okay, I actually got VAPOR from a homemade cartomizer tonight. This is a first for me. I have rebuilt and refurbished them in the past and they worked fine. Att and cart's alike. This is the first one that I made all on my own using nothing from an original atty or carto except for a carto base for the threads I needed. If I get a tap and die set I will not even need that!

It ALMOST worked completely. I just have one final obstacle and then I will be able to completely make a homemade cartomizer!!

I will upload images another time. It is very late and I am too tired. I was too excited to play with my soldering iron and nichrome wire so I will take picures on the next carto build. I will quickly outline the steps though, you have seen other builds people have done, and I have basically taken steps and concepts from many other posts to develop mine. When I post a complete step by step I will post credits and links. For now ...

I made the coil by wrapping 1 5/16" nichrome wire around the thickest sewing needle I could find (about 1mm)
Before pulling coil off needle, I threaded the needle with several strands of the silica rope stuff (sorry can't find the name right now)
I solder one wire onto a carto base and then solder the coil onto the end of that wire, and onto the center tube coming out of the carto base.
I then stacked strands of the silica in between the coil and the upright wire almost forming a sheet with it.
I then wrap this pseduo sheet between and around the wire/coil thus keeping them apart and attempting to make an airway.
I then slide a pill fob with a hole drilled through the bottom the same size as the carto base.
I then packed poly fill into the sides where there was a lot of space left.
I popped on the pill fob cap with a drop tip attached to it

I fire it up, and I get vapor! I was so happy to get a tiny bit of vapor!! If I can just figure out what to use to make a sturdy permanent airway through the center of the carto it will be complete!

I'm open to suggestions :D

Mark Linehan
:vapor:

So my next one will have lots of pictures, credit to others who inspired mine and links to their posts. Credit where credit is due!!

BobTheKlown

ECF Veteran
Sep 11, 2010
Red Oak, Tx
Okay, I actually got VAPOR from a homemade cartomizer tonight. This is a first for me. I have rebuilt and refurbished them in the past and they worked fine. Att and cart's alike. This is the first one that I made all on my own using nothing from an original atty or carto except for a carto base for the threads I needed. If I get a tap and die set I will not even need that!

If you're using it on a mod you build yourself, you won't need a tap and die... Just a set of any kind of common connectors you wanna use, since you won't be needing commercial attys or commercial e-cig batts, it will only HAVE to be compatible with itself... Just a thought...

Mark Linehan

ECF Veteran
Sep 15, 2010
Salem, MA
marknsalem.blogspot.com
Well, I am going for a design that everyone can use so I went with 510 connectors so when I do a final version tutorial it will be using a standard connection setup. 510 seems to be the most predominant connector choice. I have not worked on this again yet. I have been getting my forums configured and actually not modding much if you can believe that!

capecodjim

ECF Veteran
Sep 28, 2010
Cape Cod
That's great! Can't wait to see some pics and info on sourcing parts if you have a chance!

Now all you need to do is derive your own nicotine from tomatoes and green beans and you'll be all set! ;)

What voltage are you using and how many Ohms is your coil?

I also had progress... on a whole new type of carto mod and will post results soon....

Thanks for the inspiration too! It brings me a step closer to trying to make my own atty!

Last edited:

Mark Linehan

ECF Veteran
Sep 15, 2010
Salem, MA
marknsalem.blogspot.com
That's great! Can't wait to see some pics and info on sourcing parts if you have a chance!

Now all you need to do is derive your own nicotine from tomatoes and green beans and you'll be all set! ;)

What voltage are you using and how many Ohms is your coil?

I also had progress... on a whole new type of carto mod and will post results soon....

Thanks for the inspiration too! It brings me a step closer to trying to make my own atty!

I have two versions I make. One is for the 3.7v boxes and it uses 2.6-2.8 ohm and the other for my 5v pass-thru uses 3.6-3.8 ohm and this is great for me, but I know a lot of people prefer a higher level of wattage crossing their atty but for me, too much heat kills the flavor.

What I would like to find out, is if anyone knows a really good source for the RCA jacks so I can start making my boxes and atty's without using ANYTHING from an e-cig supplier so it is truly MY OWN and not a 510 compatible. I need male and female rca connectors without attached cabling.

phoenixfire

ECF Veteran
Mar 3, 2011
Southeast Mo.
TRY RCA connectors I don't know if you can beat the price elswhare but this is a start
I have two versions I make. One is for the 3.7v boxes and it uses 2.6-2.8 ohm and the other for my 5v pass-thru uses 3.6-3.8 ohm and this is great for me, but I know a lot of people prefer a higher level of wattage crossing their atty but for me, too much heat kills the flavor.

What I would like to find out, is if anyone knows a really good source for the RCA jacks so I can start making my boxes and atty's without using ANYTHING from an e-cig supplier so it is truly MY OWN and not a 510 compatible. I need male and female rca connectors without attached cabling.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread