I cannot believe I finally found an RTA that doesn't leak or flood - and it was a very unexpected candidate!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Millah

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 20, 2012
FL
don't think so, I suspect user error, the engineering and design of this is such that if you assemble it correctly and don't screw up the seals, it is pretty much leak-proof - never seen engineering at this level on a Chinese rta, and quite possibly not on ANY rta.

You mean two o rings? Pretty ingenious engineering ;). Then again, that is all depending those o rings are not blemished in any way and won't allow liquid to seep through. Because I've heard of several cases of peoples Subtanks leaking from the top red o ring. Which has even prompted Kanger to CHANGE the o ring in the new Subtank Mini, and make them thicker. Which means obviously enough people experienced leaking to get Kanger to change the type of o ring they use.

I don't know what kind of RTAs you've been using, or how you've been building them. But of all the RTAs I own, the only way to get them to leak is from build errors. If your tank is leaking from the airhole, thats flooding caused by too little cotton in your deck. If you get leaking from any of the seams/threads, then thats a faulty o ring. But either way, all RTAs including the Subtank operate on the same principle, a bunch of o rings are used to seal off any seams or connecting points. There is nothing novel about how the Subtank was engineered, as far as sealing the entire unit is concerned. Its an awesome tank, don't get me wrong, but I'm just saying RTAs have been operating on this principle for a long time now.

Treeburner1983

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
What's your secret? if in up position I get no leaking, but can't completely prevent from going sideways/flat in my jacket pocket. At that point it will leak.

I wick with Japanese cotton, and typically build between 2.5 and 3mm diameter coils so there's plenty of cotton to work with. I cut the wicks at the top of the chimney then tuck them down and fan them out against the deck. As long as you have all your o-rings and the fill screw in, if youre getting leaking its probably due to out of place wicks.

-Treeburner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread