I did something different...mesh inside of a Recurve RDA!

Status
Not open for further replies.

treehead

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2014
Anchorage, AK, USA
Can one man have it all? We'll see.

There's 3 things I really wish I could combine in my vape setup:
-Mesh coils
-A small flavorful chamber
-And the ability to squonk my e-liquid in.

I really love how mesh coils never seem to burn, and they give you next level flavor from their surface area, the problem I've experienced is all the RDA's that are designed to hold mesh are frankly garbage (the ones I've tried), the best I've tried is the Profile RDA. The profile does the job but it's airflow is either WAY too wide open giving you a cold and almost dry hit (still great flavor though), or if you twist it to shut half the airflow off it's not even being directed at the coil anymore and you get a spitty, starting-to-burn-but-still-somehow-cold hit. My favorite RDA I tried last year and have never looked back on is the Recurve, even using normal stainless steel 31 coils, it blows the Profiles flavor out of the water due to it's smaller volume chamber and perfect airflow holes, and provides a rich, warm, satisfyingly dense hit. THE PROBLEM with the recurve is that it's not designed to accept mesh as you traditionally need a flat clamp to lock your mesh ribbon into place.

Well I got a bug up my .... and had some time on my day off so I decided to make it work. It was alot easier than I thought it was going to be, I simply twisted the end of a strip of mesh so that it could be inserted into the Recurves circular wire mount hole, I pre-heated the mesh to temper it so it would lose it's springiness and wrapped it around a diameter smaller than 3mm so that when it relaxed it would be about 3mm, it worked surprisingly well (I also cut the mesh ribbon so that it was half it's original width, otherwise you wouldn't be able to make one wrap without exceeding the width of the chamber. The only tricky part was getting the terminal end of the coil to land perfectly in the other mount screw while keeping the diameter consistent, I just kept trimming the end and twisting as needed until it was a perfect fit, and looked good. Once everything was mounted it was alot more cooperative, and I simply teased it with tweezers until no parts of the helix were touching (so-as to avoid hotspots, in the picture you can see a hotspot that I fixed near the mounting screw where it was touching the actual body of the RDA, a little nudge fixed that). I then wicked it so it was fairly snug, and at this point everything pretty much stays exactly where you move it, super easy to position where you want it.

The coil ended up being 0.56ohms, and I'm running it temperature controlled at 450F, and I've been vaping pretty hard on it for the past two hours and it's amazing. My honeydew e-liquid got doubly sweeter, the notes a little bit more obvious, and because the recurve has a small chamber it's dense and warm too with no spitting whatsoever. I'm also noticing the wick doesn't dry out as quick. If they could come out with a Recurve with mesh clamps I think it would be a GAME CHANGER.

Let me be the guinea pig for a few days if you're thinking about trying it, it feels too good to be true (besides saying a few curse words installing it) and I'm sure there's a problem I'm not finding yet haha. I'll report back if anyone is interested!

Attachments

• 20210126_162827.jpg
    20210126_162827.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 47
  • 20210126_162850.jpg
    20210126_162850.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 46
  • 20210126_163726.jpg
    20210126_163726.jpg
    923.5 KB · Views: 48

AvaOrchid

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 19, 2019
USA
I didn't read everything cuz I'm on my way out but I think what you've done here is pretty cool and I just had to comment on it. It looks like you did it really well at first when you said try mesh in the recurve I was like how in the hell is that going to work out. But looks like you did something there! Pretty awesome

• Love
Reactions: treehead
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread