I don't get it. WTF am I doing wrong?

Status
Not open for further replies.

joedirt

Verified Member
Aug 11, 2009
Wattage in a parallel circuit is additive, I believe - in such case, two 2 watt resistors in parallel would equal a single 4w resistor.

Well, you would put two 4 ohm / 1W in parallel to get an equivalent 2 ohm /2W resistor. (Each one sees 1/2 the current and power I^2*R is (1/4)*(2) )

At any rate, you don't need over 1W probably. Don't forget this ceramic resistors heat pretty slowly, so the wattage is the average power to them and since you only applying current for 6s on at a time then more then 6s off, if you are putting 2W while on, you only need to meet the power rating for 1/2 or 1/4 that.

Well, you would put two 4 ohm / 1W in parallel to get an equivalent 2 ohm /2W resistor. (Each one sees 1/2 the current and power I^2*R is (1/4)*(2) )

At any rate, you don't need over 1W probably. Don't forget this ceramic resistors heat pretty slowly, so the wattage is the average power to them and since you only applying current for 6s on at a time then more then 6s off, if you are putting 2W while on, you only need to meet the power rating for 1/2 or 1/4 that.

Indeed, I agree.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread