I guess it's time to say hello and quit just reading.

Status
Not open for further replies.

hbwright

Aug 15, 2012
Charlotte, NC
I have been smoking since I was 10 years old, yes you read that right. I quit for my pregnancies, but started right back again, even while nursing. After years of my kids begging me to quit, and recently specifically asking me to try the e-cigs, I decided to give it a try. I actually bought a couple kits, prefilled cartos, some blank cartos, and some juice from a local vendor that I read was suggested on this forum. So, today I started vaping and quit smoking. Okay, I had one "analog" just to see if I still liked it better. I have to say I'm impressed. I didn't miss it at all today. I've done very well. My son even said he was not looking forward to the mood swings that he witnessed with my previous failed attempts, but fortunately he did not see any today. I believe I've already worked my way through one carto full and changed it out. Still hard to tell when they are done or not so who knows. I just guessed because I was starting to taste it on my lips more so than in my inhaling.

So, I'm in this for the long haul and think I may actually enjoy it. I'm sure I'll have a million questions because right now I have no clue what to do besides screw on the carto onto the battery and even fill empty ones. Cleaning, refilling, etc. Are all a little too much right now for me to grasp. I'll get there.

AutumnWolf

Absinthe Minded Diva!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 18, 2011
Florissant, MO
Welcome Hbwright! Congrats on your decision to try vaping and leave the nasties behind...don't worry about feeling overwhelmed - we've all been there! When you said that about only being able to screw the cartos on - I remembered when I started - it was exactly the same for me! Just keep reading here - you have definitely come to the right place for info and support. Good luck! :)

chohan

Earthbound Misfit
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2012
NC Foothills
So, today I started vaping and quit smoking. Okay, I had one "analog" just to see if I still liked it better. I have to say I'm impressed. I didn't miss it at all today. I've done very well.

Good for you and welcome to the forum. Now, forget about quitting smoking. Think of it more like, 'trading the smoking habit for something better, something more enjoyable and less expensive.

It's like a mean ole dog with a bone in his mouth. How do you get him to turn the bone loose? Do you try to force it out of his mouth? I suppose you could but chances are he won't turn loose. So you toss him something better. You toss him a nice juicy steak, he grabs it and forgets all about the bone because that juicy steak is so much better. Did he quit the bone or did he just find something better.

Now, I don't mean to infer you're a dog, that's just the best analogy I can come up with after working all night. Quitting is the wrong way to think of it. Vaping is the juicy steak... it's just way better. Better flavors, better clouds of vapor, better on your purse, your health... just better. Forget the bone, the steak is better.

I started smoking when I was 14yr old, I found something better when I was 51. :vapor:

Just trying to help you out a bit with the mindset. As the others have said, just give us a yell if you have questions.

My best to you.

JParadise

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 17, 2012
Jersey (via Bklyn)
I just started myself as well. I can say already that ECF is an incredible resource. Every time I have googled something vaping related the best result was here. Also, tons of great videos on youtube that explain how to fill, clean, replace, fix, any and every piece of every device there is it seems. Good luck to both of us!

Craktskull

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 30, 2012
Cebu, Philippines
HB, I'm with you.....I just quit 14 days ago after 3-4 PPD for 33 years. I DO have a lot of toys but it's been pleasurable and easy to quit this time around... I vape a LOT all day but do it with really low Nic content. Just find your juice and have fun with it......it's much better than analogs....

SABOTEUR

ECF Veteran
Mar 11, 2009
Baltimore MD USA
I have no clue what to do besides screw on the carto onto the battery and even fill empty ones. Cleaning, refilling, etc. Are all a little too much right now for me to grasp. I'll get there.

You do what you know and what you feel comfortable with. It sounds to me like you do have a clue and you're doing just fine.

hbwright

Aug 15, 2012
Charlotte, NC
HB, I'm with you.....I just quit 14 days ago after 3-4 PPD for 33 years. I DO have a lot of toys but it's been pleasurable and easy to quit this time around... I vape a LOT all day but do it with really low Nic content. Just find your juice and have fun with it......it's much better than analogs....

This is what I noticed today. I got quite a bit of small e-juices and got some at 24 mg and some at 16. I think I enjoy smoking more of the 16 rather than less of the 24. I'm having fun trying the different flavors, but need a way to keep track of them. I have a few surprise cartos that I am smelling to guess the content. LOL.

I haven't had an analog since I woke up this morning and I have to say I'm okay with this. It helps to get my nicotine fix and hand/mouth fixation, but I don't think I'll have trouble lowering my nic content when I put in another order for juice, maybe even go lower than 16.

My husband hasn't smoked in a few years now and tried one of my flavors and really liked it, but he got a major head rush since it's been so long for him. I may get him some 0s just so he can vape with me for the fun of it. Of course I'll have to get him some manly toys, not let him use my pretty ones.

MiamiMom63

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 17, 2012
South Florida
Congratulations and welcome to the forum. When I first started vaping, I watched a heck of alot of Youtubes on everything having to do with vaping and ecigs. I didn't know anyone that vape and didn't know about this forum. You might want to watch youtube reviews. GrimmGreen is really the best known and well liked reviewer. He did a video also on newbs and how difficult it is because of all the strange lingo about ohms, and watts and which carts to use on what device. Here's a good link to one of his videos for newbs that I liked alot when I first started vaping. Best of luck and happy vaping! TAKING THE NEXT VAPING STEP - YouTube

lotsoffish

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 15, 2012
Buffalo, New York
I have been smoking since I was 10 years old, yes you read that right. I quit for my pregnancies, but started right back again, even while nursing. After years of my kids begging me to quit, and recently specifically asking me to try the e-cigs, I decided to give it a try. I actually bought a couple kits, prefilled cartos, some blank cartos, and some juice from a local vendor that I read was suggested on this forum. So, today I started vaping and quit smoking. Okay, I had one "analog" just to see if I still liked it better. I have to say I'm impressed. I didn't miss it at all today. I've done very well. My son even said he was not looking forward to the mood swings that he witnessed with my previous failed attempts, but fortunately he did not see any today. I believe I've already worked my way through one carto full and changed it out. Still hard to tell when they are done or not so who knows. I just guessed because I was starting to taste it on my lips more so than in my inhaling.

So, I'm in this for the long haul and think I may actually enjoy it. I'm sure I'll have a million questions because right now I have no clue what to do besides screw on the carto onto the battery and even fill empty ones. Cleaning, refilling, etc. Are all a little too much right now for me to grasp. I'll get there.

Don't worry about the cleaning, refilling, etc.

For the first few weeks throw that crap out if you don't feel like reusing/cleaning stuff.

The ONLY important thing in the beginning is you put some time and distance between you and your last actual cigarette. Later on if you feel like cleaning stuff or rebuilding things by all means do it but right now just focus on leaving those unhealthy ROTTEN cigarettes behind you.

I smoked for 35 years until I "discovered" the miracle of vaping. For 35 years I threw everything away except my ash trays. If you don't feel like reusing your gear at first DON'T. Just enjoy the fact you are finally free of those damn things. :thumb:

MiamiMom63

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 17, 2012
South Florida
Also, to keep your carts of juice flavors straight, you might want to consider different colored drip tips for them. That is what helped me alot and the drip tips are fairly cheap. Yea, and I tried boiling carts and all that, but it wasnt worth it. They just aren't the same as new and plus, they are disposable for a reason. I'd rather spend a buck more for a good vape rather than save a buck for a lousy vape. It's all still cheaper than smoking analogs.

Last edited:

hnyb0210

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 12, 2012
PA
Hi there and welcome! Most importantly, congratulations! :toast: Since I'm fairly new to vaping also, your comments made me go oh, yeah, I know exactly where she's coming from! I have only graduated from "just screw on the carto" to "wow, I can fill my own cartos" and "double wow, look at all these juices I can get!" So for now I'm just having fun w/that. I've done a lot of carto-sniffing as well, when I couldn't remember which juice was in which carto. I did buy some colored end-caps & tried to associate them with a flavor (green for menthol, pink for strawberry, etc.) Inevitably, I would end up topping off a carto w/the wrong juice, but found that made for some interesting (and tasty!) flavor combinations :)

Vaping is so much more fun and wonderful and yummy than smoking ever was - what was I thinking all those years? :facepalm:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread