I just ordered my first e-cig

Status
Not open for further replies.

nickpopovich88

May 10, 2011
Ohio
I just ordered a Joye Ego from www.cignot.com. It should be arriving in a couple days. I am very new to this. Is this really going to help me quit? I have been smoking for 6 years. It started out as a pack a day, moved to a pack and a half then out of sheer will have brought it down to just a little over half a pack a day. Any tips, websites anything would be appreciative. I heard about the Joye Ego from a friend who has been smoking about 12 years and he has now gone to the lowest dosage of nicotine since february. I am really hoping this will help me and help my asthma.

Yes yes I know shame on me for smoking and having asthma. heard it all lol

Beans

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2011
Missoula Montana
Welcome, I'm so happy you went with the eGo. It kicked my 27 year 1-2 ppd habit. I think you will be amazed how much easier it is to quit with the e cig.

Now the hard part, The first week will still be uncomfortable for you, you will go through withdrawals from everything else in the cigs your addicted to. Don't worry, it passes fairly quick. Remember to drink water EVERY time you vape and using higher nic levels help when the cravings hit you hard.

Congrats on your decision and good luck!

permafrying

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 1, 2011
montrose co
haven't tried the ego but heard allot of good things about it, using a riva right now which is close to the same thing. should help you quit though i smoked for about 8 years and started vaping just to save money on cigs and be able to not go outside to smoke. didn't even plan on quitting it just kinda happened. just don't stress over it to much if you have to smoke do it, youll still see a major cutback in your smoking and eventually youll get off of them. deffinetaly order some juice your gonna need it try different nic lvl's and see what helps the most

Good job taking the first step!

I started out with really high nicotine juice (I smoked 2-3 packs per day) and believe it or not, I didn't even have nicotine cravings, and still haven't had one since I started vaping two weeks ago. Everyone is a bit different. Just stick to it, and if something isn't working for you (your gear, your juice, etc...) there are always other options out there that will.

GIMike

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 15, 2009
Around OKC, OK
Might be that going cold turkey may not be best for ya. I would use it to wean yourself off, but I wouldn't say quit completely. If it were me, I'd keep a pack around for those times when nothing else will work but burning tobacco. Use the e-cig for the rest of the time. Eventually, you'll find yourself going to the pack less and less to the point where you'll probably forget about it altogether :)

dormouse

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 31, 2010
Pennsylvania
First - warning - new atomizers arrive with primer on them and primer tastes nasty. Blow the atomizer out into a tissue. Then you can rinse the atomizer well, blow and shake out and dry thoroughly. OR you can drip 3-4 drops of juice on the bridge /\, wait for it to soak in a bit, and then vape that off without inhaling (use an empty cart or drip tip), then blow out the atty and repeat. Then re-prime and it should be OK.

Did you get eliquid? The eliquid at hardware vendors can be a bit harsh - it is often 100% PG Chinese juice and PG alone lets through the most of nicotine's skin irritation which you do not want in your lungs. So if you got 100% PG you may want to pick up a bottle of Humco Glycerin at Walmart (Humco says their is all vegetable aka VG - it should be near rubbing alcohol) or the more expensive Wilton's Glycerin near the cake decorating stuff in Michael's crafts. That way, if any of your juice is too harsh you could add a bit of VG to it. It will cut the flavor and nic too but will help keep it from irritating you.

When you order more juice try US juice vendors who offer PG/VG blends - BTW I think Gourmet Vapor's sale goes to midnight tonight 5/11 - 50% off with code gv50 which makes their 5ml juices under $2. They offer every PG/VG combo and you can even create your own flavors. Try some 70pg/30vg. FreedomSmokeUSA and Backwoods Brew are popular places for tobacco vapes.

And I highly recommend some Boge 510 cartomizers. Most people prefer dripping and/or cartomizers by far over using carts with an atomizer. Cartomizers have limited lives (a Boge may work well for 4-14 days) but they vape so nicely and don't need juice as often. As well, they keep each flavor totally separate - no mixing of tastes on an atomizer. I get them at LitecigUSA.net and elsewhere. Try the standard resistance for starting out since you have asthma. I use the standards all the time. The LR ones can also be used on an Ego but are hotter with a harder hit - get used to vaping first them you can try these.

And while you are there get a plastic or delrin drip tip. You can use the drip tip to test juices on the atomizer or as a comfortable mouthpiece on the cartos. If you got a particular tube size Ego atty then you will ned an Ego drip tip for the atty but still a 510 atty for an optional mouthpiece on the cartomizers. You will probably have to leave the cone off the Ego when using a carto (or buy a 510 extension at Goodprophets.com to lift up the carto high enough to poke through the cone well).

Filling a Boge carto - Only put juices you know you like into a carto. Hold a tissue against the threaded end hole and fill totally to start (18+ drops), then do cleanup - clean the threaded end, tilt the opened end down into the tissue and puff in the threaded end to clear the aut channel - I like to see light through it, sop up any loose juice above the stuffing. Then cap (or put drip tip on as a mouthpiece) and let it settle so every single bit of stuffing absorbs some juice so you won't singe the carto. I lay the freshly filled blank on different sides for 15-20 minutes and that is enough with the thin (30% VG or less) juices I use. If you have higher VG you may need to let a carto settle a lot longer.

Last edited:

Eddie.Willers

ECF Wiki SysOp
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 3, 2011
Prairie Canada
Welcome to the wonderful world of ECF and vaping!

The Ego is a great PV to start with - good battery life, 510 thread for wide range of cartomizers and atomizers etc...and it's a solid piece of engineering. It's what i started with, although I am itching to get into the world of mods.

+1 on the drip tips, USA juice suppliers, Boge cartos and other advice from dormouse - enjoy!

ditch.the.pack

ECF Veteran
Mar 24, 2011
East Stroudsburg, PA
You came to the right place! Noone here will pick on you for being a smoker, or even a smoker with asthma. Instead, everyone will applaud your decision to try e-cigs and help you along the way! That's what I love here - it's so non-judgemental. :)

My technique (was a p-a-d for 14 years. NO willpower). I started using the e-cig, and first day went from normally 1 pack, down to 5 cigs! Without trying! Some days more, some days less. I didn't put pressure on myself. I just let it flow naturally. Eventually I decided that I could completely quit. Did that for about 46 hours. lol Went back to 2 or 3 cigs a day. Then decided to give quitting another go - and I've been smoke free for 3 weeks now! :) The MORAL: Don't put pressure on yourself. You're doing this for YOU. Not for everyone else. Even if you smoke ONE LESS cigarette a day, that's one less cigarette!!! That is SUCCESS!!! Applaud even the smallest accomplishments. You deserve it!

Stay strong!! You'll be declaring your smoke free status in no time!

lillybit

Apr 28, 2011
Springfield, MO
Welcome to ECF and to e-cigs! So glad you started this route! I'm still new here myself, but I'm hugely glad I started, and even further happy I got my husband to do it. I think you'll be very happy with it and I encourage you as the others have to stick with it...it's not easy to start by any means, but it's seriously alot better than those smelly coffin nails....Hope to see you here more!!!

I'm off to stalk the mailman some more....I want my juice!!! lol!

but seriously...have fun with it...it may become a true hobby for you the way it has for others over time!! I can say I'm already plotting my next purchase! :)

Happy Vaping!

JD1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 20, 2010
KY
So if you got 100% PG you may want to pick up a bottle of Humco Glycerin at Walmart (Humco says their is all vegetable aka VG - it should be near rubbing alcohol) or the more expensive Wilton's Glycerin near the cake decorating stuff in Michael's crafts. That way, if any of your juice is too harsh you could add a bit of VG to it. It will cut the flavor and nic too but will help keep it from irritating you.

When I researched the Humco Glycerin last year I came across some posts that indicated it was indeed always vg. I've since ran across a post that quoted a Humco rep as saying that it wasn't always vg and depended on what lot was in stock. Since I don't know who's right and who's wrong, I personally won't risk it. I'd rather pay a little extra for the Wilton brand as it's intended purpose is for food and it has to be vg. Better safe than sorry. :p

phonedude

DIY Enthusiast
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 21, 2011
Kansas
Hello and welcome. Yes I truly believe this can work for you. I wish you the success that I have found.

It hasn't really been that long since I quit smoking and I already feel a lot better. I never had developed any cigarette related diseases (miraculously) but I had a terrible cough and couldn't take a deep breath. That is all gone now.

So best of luck and hope you really like your ego.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread