Status
Not open for further replies.

gayhalo

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 17, 2013
Ross-on-Wye UK
I think there are two prohibitions to look at. Alcohol on the USA. Did that stop people drinking. No, but it did mean that the drink was of unknown quality and strength. At lot was probably stronger than people would normally drink. ........ in the UK today. It sits on the edge of legal and illegal where small quantities are overlooked. Again there is no regulation or guarantee on the strength or quality.

E cig liquid I am sure would be the same. If you read this forum there are people who are trying to secure their source of nicotine and it worries me when I hear about insect repellant etc. the best thing all authorities could do is to secure the quality and strength of nicotine and not to limit it in any way. I am sure if it was illegal that the bad people out there will be making money by selling stuff we don't want and may do us harm.

soba1

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 27, 2013
Van Nuys Ca., USA
The cow is out of the barn. Even if it is only a few people in the mainstream medical profession are in support.
I think there is too much of a shift in conciousness in a lot of things for this to be stopped.
I do worry but I don't think it will happen. There are people fighting the good fight,
keep vaping and always expect miracles.
Hey G I think I'm back :)

AgentAnia

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2013
Orbiting Sirius B
I believe that if e cig liquid was made illegal, there would just be those who quit and those who start smoking again. I don't really foresee a black market for e liquid. Much easier (and proabaly cheaper than black market e liquid) to just buy a pack of smokes

I agree that some would just quit and some would start smoking again. But I DO foresee a black market for e liquid if it was made illegal. And that's why I don't think it will be banned. The worst feds can do is regulate strength and limit accessibility. But even that will mean "vaper workarounds" will be created. That's why the feds are treading so slowly and cautiously right now, IMO. However they try to control ecigs will be a regulatory nightmare for them and will create a backlash they don't even want to contemplate.

This is my opinion.

e-pipeman

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 16, 2008
Brown Edge, England
Nicotine has uses in industry and research. It will continue to be available from wholesalers and chemical supply companies. If e-juice were to be made illegal in the states (not going to happen, it's more likely to be taxed or regulated heavily) it would be fairly simple to make your own ejuice at home.

The problem may be that, though nicotine may still be available from chemical supply companies, you will probably need a licence to buy it.

Maggiemw

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 23, 2013
Middle East
There are some countries already, mine for example, where you cannot sell e-liquid containing nicotine. It's already extremely difficult to buy it, unless you really know where to look. 0 mg stuff is easy to find, however, but what is sold is horrendously vile.

Disposable e-cigarette look-alikes with nicotine are not allowed, either. A friend of mine ordered some from the US and they were seized by Customs. She was told she had to have their import authorized by the Ministry of Health. My very small packages from FT have so far not been searched, but I imagine that if they were opened, and e-liquid found, it would be seized too.

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
It seems to me it would be pretty easy to restrict access to nicotine.
The public will be all for it because after all it is a "poison" and think of the children.

And really, that's all it would take to bring us down.
And we'll be left with nothing but pre-filled low-strength Big Tobacco cartridges with no flavors.

I have already done the only two things that can help....
--Join CASAA and be ready to fight
--10 years worth of nicotine in the freezer

Have you joined CASAA yet?
http://www.casaa.org/Become_a_Member.html

Coastal Cowboy

This aggression will not stand, man!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2013
Alabama Gulf Coast
www.ibleedcrimsonred.com
It seems to me it would be pretty easy to restrict access to nicotine.
The public will be all for it because after all it is a "poison" and think of the children.

And really, that's all it would take to bring us down.
And we'll be left with nothing but pre-filled low-strength Big Tobacco cartridges with no flavors.

It would take an act of Congress to amend the Tobacco Act, which currently forbids FDA from banning tobacco products (including liquids with nicotine extracted from tobacco), and also forbids FDA from requiring tobacco products to deliver zero levels of nicotine. Those are express provisions in the act and as long as they are in place, there's not much FDA can do.

Even if they do find some way of restricting access to commercially marketed nicotine liquids, there is nothing stopping you from growing, harvesting, curing and processing your own tobacco. Or, one could legally go buy a box of cigarettes or cigars, crushing them and doing it that way. FDA knows this.

They can't stop you from buying tobacco products, and liquid has been defined by the courts as a tobacco product.

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
It would take an act of Congress to amend the Tobacco Act, which currently forbids FDA from banning tobacco products (including liquids with nicotine extracted from tobacco), and also forbids FDA from requiring tobacco products to deliver zero levels of nicotine. Those are express provisions in the act and as long as they are in place, there's not much FDA can do.
I am fully aware of all that, but don't see what it has to do with the FDA being able to restrict access to bottled nicotine liquid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread