iJoy 40A 3000mAh 20700 Bench Test Results...overrated but a good 30A battery

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    I would like to preface this by saying I absolutely do not encourage anyone to vape like I do---now ... I own both versions of the xxx mod and have been using these batteries(ijoy20700) and they tear up( become permanently weak ) very fast compared to the 18650s I use. I run .05-.08 and take around 6-10 pulls before charging as to not allow the battery to get hot..they lasted about a week and a half compared to about two months for the 18650( aspire 1800, lg hb6) . Also the thermal coupling tends to become damaged instantly on a few Ive gotten .. then they don't fire at all without going straight to red hot... just putting some real life info to the discussion.. have tried one Sanyo 20700a and it hits harder and hasn't stopped for the month Ive had it ... this might be useful to those who vape mechs this way ( more vape this way than most realize).. looking forward to the big three making a more quality product

Hmm...I've subjected the iJoy's to some pretty serious abuse without problems, about 15 cycles, but I'll try to do some longer abusive cycle life testing soon.

Derek Cross

ECF Veteran
    May 16, 2015
    Hmm...I've subjected the iJoy's to some pretty serious abuse without problems, about 15 cycles, but I'll try to do some longer abusive cycle life testing soon.
    So this is normal then? Is a month or two the norm when we vape at this low a voltage on a single 18650, or the newer 20700?

I ask because i vape at around 0.08 ohms and ive been running these vtc5a cells for over 3 months, and my HB cells even longer. I generally run them about 6 to 9 months when tooling them around in a single cell unregulated setup

Evanleese

Jun 1, 2017
    So this is normal then? Is a month or two the norm when we vape at this low a voltage on a single 18650, or the newer 20700?

I ask because i vape at around 0.08 ohms and ive been running these vtc5a cells for over 3 months, and my HB cells even longer. I generally run them about 6 to 9 months when tooling them around in a single cell unregulated setup

Evanleese

Jun 1, 2017
    If you are happy with your performance of your batteries then your happy and that's what matters ... but myself can notice the difference in a new cell and one that's a month old in a mech performance wise...HOWEVER, in my experience only, the closer you go to .1 the longer they last . My lghb6 or aspire 1800 will last up to 3 months or more ( based on frequency of use and other basic battery care ) if I vape at .08/.1 . The lower you go you will see a dramatic difference in power over time... these are my experiences only and would listen to Mooch first and foremost

Reactions: Derek Cross

Derek Cross

ECF Veteran
    May 16, 2015
    Sorry, I don't understand your questions.
    Sorry Mooch, let me be more clear.

Is it normal for a cell to start losing it power in how it "hits hard" so quickly like the gentleman Evanleese was talking about? Ive had cells feel a little weak even at a full 4.2 volt charge after vaping at a very low ohm load for a couple months but always thought it was my mod needing a cleaning or something else.

I guess my question is when we vape at below 0.1 ohms, is it normal for a cell to only last a couple months or less wirh daily use,even if the cells is known to keep at a pretty low temp after a heavy set of pulses? Ive never had a cell get hotter than 43 degrees Celsius. Is this hot enough to do a lot of damage?

Sorry that I wasnt clear in my last question. I always think its just in my head when a particular setup isnt hitting quite hard and maybe its that I should be getting rid of these batteries and rotating some new cells more frequently when vaping this low on a single cell.

Mooch when vaping at say 0.08ohms.I always wonder if I should be rotating my cells every 3 months to be safe. Is this what you would suggest?

MaxximusRevelation

ECF Veteran
    Jul 12, 2016
    I always wonder if I should be rotating my cells every 3 months to be safe. Is this what you would suggest?

You said you do .05-.08 builds. There is no such thing as safety at those ohms regardless if you threw out the batteries every single time you used them.

Topwater Elvis

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Dec 26, 2012
    Texas
    Also the thermal coupling tends to become damaged instantly on a few Ive gotten .. then they don't fire at all without going straight to red hot...
    o_O
    Ive never had a cell get hotter than 43 degrees Celsius.
    o_O

When using a single cell in an unregulated it is completely normal for cells to have very short lifespans when they are abused.

Demanding the amp range that results from using .05Ω - .08Ω from any single cell even in short bursts = severe abuse and relying on luck instead of anything that even resembles reasonable saftey practices.

KenD

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 20, 2013
    Stockholm, Sweden
    kennetgranholm.com

Is it normal for a cell to start losing it power in how it "hits hard" so quickly like the gentleman Evanleese was talking about? Ive had cells feel a little weak even at a full 4.2 volt charge after vaping at a very low ohm load for a couple months but always thought it was my mod needing a cleaning or something else.

I guess my question is when we vape at below 0.1 ohms, is it normal for a cell to only last a couple months or less wirh daily use,even if the cells is known to keep at a pretty low temp after a heavy set of pulses? Ive never had a cell get hotter than 43 degrees Celsius. Is this hot enough to do a lot of damage?

Sorry that I wasnt clear in my last question. I always think its just in my head when a particular setup isnt hitting quite hard and maybe its that I should be getting rid of these batteries and rotating some new cells more frequently when vaping this low on a single cell.

Mooch when vaping at say 0.08ohms.I always wonder if I should be rotating my cells every 3 months to be safe. Is this what you would suggest?
    You're abusing your batteries, of course they're gonna take damage.

Sent from my K6000 Pro using Tapatalk

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015

Three months is about right for cells being used very hard.

How are you measuring temperature?

The heating doesn't occur evenly across the cell internally. There are hotspots inside the cell that can be at a much, much higher temperature than what you measure externally, after the heat has spread out.

I can't make any firm recommendations because I don't know the true condition of your cells. But, for me personally, I don't use them once their performance drops. They're dirt cheap for what they give us so I just buy new ones when that happens. But, I haven't had to replace any of my vaping batteries yet after two years. Other batteries I use, yes.

If they are running hotter even though the amount of current you are drawing from them hasn't changed then, definitely, replace them.

Derek Cross

ECF Veteran
    May 16, 2015
    o_O
    You said you do .05-.08 builds. There is no such thing as safety at those ohms regardless if you threw out the batteries every single time you used them.
    Ya wrong guy. I never said I vaped at 0.05 ohm coil. That was the guy before me. I do vape at 2 second pulses on an 0.08 ohm load yes. And i know my risks in doing this. I never vape below 0.08 and only use batteries that can handle the pulsed load im putting them through. A lot of people vape this way, but of course a lot of us check our temperature and take every precaution available to us. I ask experts like Mooch the question needed to feel as safe as possible, but I dont suggest anyone take risks that they are uncomfortable with. I myself only use authentic batteries and dont even take my mechanical mods outside of the house. Its for at home use, kinda a hobby of mine.

So please understand theres a huge difference between a 0.08 ohm load and an 0.05 ohm load. I believe on a freshly charged battery its like close to 25 to 30amps more from 0.08 to 0.05ohms

Now my Vtc5a or HB4 battery doesnt even get past luke warm after a vape, and thats every time. If it did, I would never have felt safe vaping that low. Again to each theyre own. Not everyone is going to be in agreement, but the least we can do is be respectful to each other and quote the correct person when giving our criticisms.o_O

Derek Cross

ECF Veteran
    May 16, 2015
    Three months is about right for cells being used very hard.

How are you measuring temperature?

The heating doesn't occur evenly across the cell internally. There are hotspots inside the cell that can be at a much, much higher temperature than what you measure externally, after the heat has spread out.

I can't make any firm recommendations because I don't know the true condition of your cells. But, for me personally, I don't use them once their performance drops. They're dirt cheap for what they give us so I just buy new ones when that happens. But, I haven't had to replace any of my vaping batteries yet after two years. Other batteries I use, yes.

If they are running hotter even though the amount of current you are drawing from them hasn't changed then, definitely, replace them.
    Thanks for all of that info.

In all honesty I just started doing actual temperature reading of the outside of the cell with a infrared thermometer. I knew it wasnt too accurate but also knew that i havent felt a cell get hot to the touch when ive pulled them from my mod. Any time ive taken a battery out to check for heat, it was warm at most.

I will start to throw my 18650 cells out at the 3 month mark just to be safe, performance drop or not. I will also watch out for any extra heat. I use the same build every time so thats easy enough to do.

Thanks again for helping people like me get the info they need without the added slap on the wrist, or wag of the finger. I sometimes dont even want to ask questions on these forums because theres always someone waiting in the corners to tell you your doing something wrong, ;)
    You, however have always been only respectful, sincere and helpful Mooch!

Derek Cross

ECF Veteran
    May 16, 2015
    Also, theres a reason why I was asking an expert in the field and not directing my questions to all the people who came out to give me a swift kick in the junk:D

Listen, I read through all the pulse tests to see how hard I can safely push a battery. Im not even taking the 5 second puffs that are on those tests, maybe 2 to 3 seconds at most. I find the battery that can take the abuse and then I use that battery.

Now you may attack me again, but I wont respond any more to this. I know all to well that i wont win that internet fight. Too many of you dislike anyone who doesnt stay way way below even the Max discharge rating, even when pulsing on a mechanical mod.
    :pop:

KenD

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 20, 2013
    Stockholm, Sweden
    kennetgranholm.com
    o_O
    Ya wrong guy. I never said I vaped at 0.05 ohm coil. That was the guy before me. I do vape at 2 second pulses on an 0.08 ohm load yes. And i know my risks in doing this. I never vape below 0.08 and only use batteries that can handle the pulsed load im putting them through. A lot of people vape this way, but of course a lot of us check our temperature and take every precaution available to us. I ask experts like Mooch the question needed to feel as safe as possible, but I dont suggest anyone take risks that they are uncomfortable with. I myself only use authentic batteries and dont even take my mechanical mods outside of the house. Its for at home use, kinda a hobby of mine.

So please understand theres a huge difference between a 0.08 ohm load and an 0.05 ohm load. I believe on a freshly charged battery its like close to 25 to 30amps more from 0.08 to 0.05ohms

Now my Vtc5a or HB4 battery doesnt even get past luke warm after a vape, and thats every time. If it did, I would never have felt safe vaping that low. Again to each theyre own. Not everyone is going to be in agreement, but the least we can do is be respectful to each other and quote the correct person when giving our criticisms.o_O
    How do you accurately measure such a low resistance?

Sent from my K6000 Pro using Tapatalk

MaxximusRevelation

ECF Veteran
    Jul 12, 2016
    o_O

I apologize I will edit my post.

Original:

Edit:
    You said you do .08 builds. There is no such thing as safety at those ohms regardless if you threw out the batteries every single time you used them.

Lol its funny because I did not attack you at all or give you a "slap on a wrist". I actually think I was quite respectable in my original post. People like myself have love for the hobby, so when they see people practicing it in ways that could potentially harm the future of the hobby, they will come in and say their two cents.

Thanks for all of that info.

Thanks again for helping people like me get the info they need without the added slap on the wrist, or wag of the finger. I sometimes dont even want to ask questions on these forums because theres always someone waiting in the corners to tell you your doing something wrong, ;)
    You, however have always been only respectful, sincere and helpful Mooch!

One of the things I have noticed the most in life is that, if you walk into a room of hobbyists and tell them how you practice your hobby and every single one of them in the room say you're doing it wrong, you are most likely doing it wrong.. There is absolutely no reason to go that low of an ohm other than the show off "look at my big truck" mentality.

I am a new member on this website. I only use mech mods, and I have never once been attacked by the members on this forum when posting about my mods, coils I use, etc. I actually love coming here for the wealth of information and the quick help I always receive on my threads/inquiries I have.

Derek Cross

ECF Veteran
    May 16, 2015
    I apologize I will edit my post.

Original:

Edit:
    You said you do .08 builds. There is no such thing as safety at those ohms regardless if you threw out the batteries every single time you used them.

Lol its funny because I did not attack you at all or give you a "slap on a wrist". I actually think I was quite respectable in my original post. People like myself have love for the hobby, so when they see people practicing it in ways that could potentially harm the future of the hobby, they will come in and say their two cents.

One of the things I have noticed the most in life is that, if you walk into a room of hobbyists and tell them how you practice your hobby and every single one of them in the room say you're doing it wrong, you are most likely doing it wrong.. There is absolutely no reason to go that low of an ohm other than the show off "look at my big truck" mentality.

I am a new member on this website. I only use mech mods, and I have never once been attacked by the members on this forum when posting about my mods, coils I use, etc. I actually love coming here for the wealth of information and the quick help I always receive on my threads/inquiries I have.
    Ya I could have handled myself in a more appropriate manner. I also could have been a little more mature.

You never attacked me. I apologize for using that word. I do however stand by what I originally said. I go through all the pulse data for the battery that im using and with the builds im vaping, at the amperage im vaping at, I feel like im ok. Now would I tell someone else to do what I do? No. They could have a mod that auto fires and continuously discharges a cell and then they could harm themselves, or others. That is something im not ok with.

I do not vape that low to "show off my big truck". I dont even take my mechs outside of the house. I have found that with the wire I have on hand, that the number of wraps that gives me the desired vape is what gets me to 0.08ohms. I also have found a few vapes over 0.01ohms that i love. Each build has never got my battery more than warm. Im extremely careful with my gear when using it at home. I live alone, so if something DID happen, im only hurting myself. Im constantly checking the temperature of the cell im using.

Again im very very careful. I guess thats what bothers me the most. Knowing how careful ive been and having someone tell me that im only trying to "show off" because I like to push the limits a little, in the privacy of my home, where no one can even see what im vaping on Anyway.

I dont think everyone in the room was telling me that I was doing it wrong either. I believe that I was directing a few questions at Mooch since he is the expert here and you read what you wanted to read and responded quickly before even thoroughly understanding what the question was, or who it was directed towards. :eek: Mooch will give us the pulse data and let us decide what risks we are willing to take. Sorry for the "Mooch gush fest" here but ive never witnessed him throw his unwanted criticism around, and even when someone asks, he seems to really be thoughtful in his answers. Thats why I was asking him and trying not to ask "everyone". I get it though, its a forum and theres always gonna be someone around to try to make you feel dumb for pushing the boundaries a little. Saying theres no reason to vape that low, except show that "my trucks bigger than yours" is a little close-minded if you ask me. If I dont show my builds off to anyone, than I guess that kinda kills your theory there. So I guess its not the "only reason" someone would vape that low, huh?

I wish in the future those people could read through EVERYTHING before answering a question that wasnt even directed at them in the first place:sleep: My original question had much more in it and you your answer only covered how terrible my vaping style was. See obviously I dont want the answers from you. My question was about longevity of cells when being pulsed at low ohms. Your response only told me that I shouldnt be vaping at that low of ohms. No other info.

MaxximusRevelation

ECF Veteran
    Jul 12, 2016
    Well if you don't want the opinions of the public and want the opinions of Mooch only, maybe private message Mooch instead of posting a question on a public forum ;) When you post on a public forum you are addressing the public regardless if you think its directed to them or not.

We can agree to disagree. I never like putting any of my gadgets past its paces. Which is why I never use +P ammo in a gun that isn't rated for +P. Lots of people do without incident, just not something I would do.

You yourself stated you wouldn't recommend what you do to anyone else, but don't you see the contradiction? You posted on a public forum where hundreds of thousands of people trying to get data can read it. If you state what you use and claim it to be safe, someone viewing the internet may see your statement, and take your word on it.

The "I wouldn't recommend this to anyone, but let me state what I do to everyone" theory just doesn't hold ground which is why people may of "tried to make you feel dumb" although yet again I have yet to see a single post on this thread trying to make you look stupid.

Also you stated you would only be hurting yourself with a catastrophic failure, untrue. You would not only be hurting yourself, you are hurting the hobby most of the community is trying to protect.

Anyways this is a thread about a batteries CDR. To prevent this thread being closed down I am going to stop responding to you as you seem to take my responses as attacks.

Derek Cross

ECF Veteran
    May 16, 2015
    Well if you don't want the opinions of the public and want the opinions of Mooch only, maybe private message Mooch instead of posting a question on a public forum ;) When you post on a public forum you are addressing the public regardless if you think its directed to them or not.

We can agree to disagree. I never like putting any of my gadgets past its paces. Which is why I never use +P ammo in a gun that isn't rated for +P. Lots of people do without incident, just not something I would do.

You yourself stated you wouldn't recommend what you do to anyone else, but don't you see the contradiction? You posted on a public forum where hundreds of thousands of people trying to get data can read it. If you state what you use and claim it to be safe, someone viewing the internet may see your statement, and take your word on it.

The "I wouldn't recommend this to anyone, but let me state what I do to everyone" theory just doesn't hold ground which is why people may of "tried to make you feel dumb" although yet again I have yet to see a single post on this thread trying to make you look stupid.

Also you stated you would only be hurting yourself with a catastrophic failure, untrue. You would not only be hurting yourself, you are hurting the hobby most of the community is trying to protect.

Anyways this is a thread about a batteries CDR. To prevent this thread being closed down I am going to stop responding to you as you seem to take my responses as attacks.
    Ya I have no issues with you personally. I just dont like when someone jumps the gun.

Mooch pulses these cells way beyond theyre max discharge rating to show what they're capable of so that we can then make a choice of what we feel is a risk we are willing to take. To say that pushing a cell to where it never gets more than warm is jeopardizing everyones hobby and maybe putting vaping as a whole at risk of being banned is pretty crazy.

And saying that I even once claimed to the readers that what im doing is, in your words "safe" is something you took from my posts. I only ever said that I understand my risks, and I AM willing to take them. Call that what you want, but im actually trying to be responsible. If we were responsible for everyone elses actions, I would think that Mooch wouldn't even show what a cell does at even 60 or 70amp pulses. He isnt telling them its safe, is he? No. He is showing what happens to a cell when its put through certain abuses, and if someone then goes and vents a cell, because he is pushing it too hard and tries to blame the person performing the tests, I dont think we will blame the tester, will we. No.

Again, I very much disagree with you. I do apologize if anything that I said is coming across as trying to advertise vaping in an unsafe manner. Again my cells never get hot. My mods are not in danger of auto firing since I take every safety precaution available to me(like post questions to the experts here in an attempt to keep learning and be safer)

I dont want this to go any further myself. I too will stop posting within this thread as it no longer has anything to do with the ijoy 20700 cell.

Mooch I apologize if I hijacked this thread or offended you in any way. My only intention was to gain more knowledge on safety.

Reactions: billthetroll
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread