Gold-Plated 510 Connection

Reactions: Heartsdelight

Eskie

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    May 6, 2016
    NY
    Which problems did they fix on this they couldn't on the 270? The main issue for me that prevented me from buying it was the whole TC problem. Is it working better in this version, and did they abandon trying to fix it through firmware on the 270? And as the 270 can use either 20700 or 18650s, what the purpose of this version? And as a totally subjective opinion, I'm not a fan of that Captain label and design.

It just seems weird to bring this one out, but maybe it is an improvement over the 270. I just don't understand it, but that's not an unusual state for me.

Heartsdelight

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Nov 10, 2015
    Which problems did they fix on this they couldn't on the 270? The main issue for me that prevented me from buying it was the whole TC problem. Is it working better in this version, and did they abandon trying to fix it through firmware on the 270? And as the 270 can use either 20700 or 18650s, what the purpose of this version? And as a totally subjective opinion, I'm not a fan of that Captain label and design.

It just seems weird to bring this one out, but maybe it is an improvement over the 270. I just don't understand it, but that's not an unusual state for me.
    :lol:
    Don't worry I don't get it either :lol:

Eskie

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    May 6, 2016
    NY
    This version is smaller and only uses 18650's. Afaik nothing else has changed.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

It can't be that much smaller as it can still hold a 30 mm tank without overhang. The 5 mm shorter battery doesn't seem like it would reduce the height by all that much.

KenD

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 20, 2013
    Stockholm, Sweden
    kennetgranholm.com
    It can't be that much smaller as it can still hold a 30 mm tank without overhang. The 5 mm shorter battery doesn't seem like it would reduce the height by all that much.
    It's a few mm smaller than the pd270. A totally unnecessary product.

Sent from my K6000 Pro using Tapatalk

TrollDragon

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Dec 3, 2014
    NS, Canada
    I imagine it has the exact same board as the PD270. The iJoy 20700's don't really last any longer than a pair of HG2's and 18650's can be found everywhere quite a bit cheaper. It makes sense to release a native 18650 SKU and combine it with a tank like competing Smok products do. Also the 18650 sleeve for the PD270 is a little bit on the janky side.

v1ks_

Has a pretty generic custom title
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 18, 2015
    Latvia
    Since there's already a thread here, I won't be making a new one.
    I did a review for Reddit so I'll just paste this here as well.
    It's not much, but maybe it'll help someone.
    ~~~

Back with another short review. This time around Heaven Gifts sent over a kit to be reviewed. As you might've guessed from the title, the kit in question is the iJoy Captain PD1865. A dual 18650 mod that comes with the iJoy Captain sub-ohm tank. Should you fancy, the kit can be found here.
    As before, the information posted is purely my own opinion.

--- The Packaging and Contents ---
    The kit I received came in the retail packaging. Although these things can change, it's fairly safe to assume, that what you see, is what you'll get. Included in the package there are:
    * 1x IJOY CAPTAIN PD1865 BOX MOD(225W)
    * 1x IJOY CAPTAIN SUBOHM 4ML TANK
    * 1x CA2 Coil 0.3ohm (60-80W Pre-installed)
    * 1x CA3 Coil 0.25ohm (60-100W)
    * 1x USB Cable
    * 1x Manual
    * 1x Warranty Card
    * 1x Spares bag

Some images:
    Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

--- The Mod ---
    Now, uh, well... you either like colourful, or you don't, as simple as that. The sticker on the side of the mod won't be everyone's cup of tea. Certainly not my cup of tea, but thankfully, if you hold onto it and vape it, instead of looking at it, it's not all that bad. In most promotional materials you'll see, the mod has carbon fiber stickers on the sides. Now... stickers aren't a pro in my book, as eventually they start to come off. Luckily, you receive the mod without the stickers and you can glue them on should you please to do so. This option, or should I say choice, sadly, is taken away from you by iJoy. How, you ask? Well, there are some pretty heavy machining marks on the side. Unless you fancy uneven surfaces and machining marks on your mod, you pretty much have to use the provided carbon fiber stickers. Apart from that, the build quality seems to be good. There is no rattle from buttons or battery door. Paintwork seems to be decent. Two weeks of daily use didn't leave any scratches, not even on the bottom of the mod.
    The screen! Nothing bad can be said about the screen. It's well laid out, reasonably bright (considering it's not OLED). The plastic covering the screen does show flex when you press it, but that's not something I'd worry about.
    Now onto the most important bit, I suppose. Does it do the job it's supposed to? Yessir, ir does! The ohm readings are pretty spot on, compared against a DNA device and a Geekvape Tab521, using the stock coils in the Captain tank, two different SS316L build in a Peerless RDTA, another SS316L in a Griffin and KA1 clapton build in a Digiflavor Lynx. I have no complaints whatsoever about the mod's performance in Power mode. It does overshoot a little, the clapton that I ran at 90W on a RX200S was unvapable by me on the Captain, unless I dialed it down to 80W. I almost wish it was quite this easy with TC mode on the Captain. To the mods defense, I did not look/try to update the firmware, to see if this has been addressed. TC using SS316L was way off when compared to a DNA75 device, or VTC Mini (current and previous daily driver that I carry with me). TC works, if you mess around with the mod once you find the values you should use, but against my DNA device, I had to go from 35W and 260C to 28W and 240C even when manually adjusting TCR to optimal values for SS. If that doesn't bother you at all, well, then it works, in it's own way.
    Lastly, the menu system. This was the first iJoy device I've tested/used but it's quite intuitive, if you know what to look for. If you don't the manual will help you. Written in a fairly decent English too, for that matter.

Mod images:

--- The Tank ---
    Much like with the mod itself, this could be rounded up to two words. It works. Actually I found that it works quite well, for a kit tank. Right out of the box and for like the first hour or so, it will taste like sh*t, despite me taking it apart, giving it a wash in warm, soapy water and wiping it off with some 93 proof spirit. Needless to say, the coil was properly primed and allowed to soak for an hour, before being used. After that initial break-in period, I found that it actually delivered a fair amount of clouds and flavour. I'm by long and far a DIY person. I run only RTAs, RDAs and RDTAs, and build my own coils, but if you'd take it all away from me, I could see myself using this tank for awhile and be quite happy about it. It's fairly decent, for a kit tank. Sadly, I only had the chance to use the .3ohm coil, as the .25 turned out to be a dud.
    Nothing bad I can say about the build quality either. It's machined and painted well. I can not and will not comment on the "Unique groove chassis" which "reduces heat transmission" as I honestly couldn't care less about flashy marketing terms and slogans. All I know the machining quality is good, so is the paintwork. I quite like the sliding top fill feature, it works well and is quite convenient. During the time I used the tank, I did not notice any leaking, even when tossed in a bag. If I absolutely had to find a flaw with the tank, it would be the non-adjustable center pin, but that's about it. Other than that, it's a decent kit tank. The single coil it did have the chance to use, lasted roughly two weeks.

Tank images:

--- Conclusion ---
    So then, what's my take on the whole kit?
    It's a decent kit, with a bunch of ifs and buts. If you don't mind stickers and a splash of colour, if you're not fussed that TC on this particular device works differently from your other devices, then this indeed might me a kit for you. The mod isn't small, but it's not large either, if you're comparing it to an older gen device (like XCUBE II for example, haha). Tank seems to be decent and if you can consistently get two weeks out of a coil, that's nothing to scoff at either. Would I recommend this to a friend? Well, if I knew they like colourful stuff, don't mind stickers and need something that can shoot upwards of 100W, while offering the convenience of pre-built coils, then yes, I would. It's not perfect, but it's not bad either.

Finally, I wold like to give another shout out to Heaven Gifts for making this possible. Do give them a look as I honestly believe they're a great bunch of people.

Cheers,
    v1ks_

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread