iJoy Combo RDTA build suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.

shangula

ECF Veteran
Jun 30, 2014
British Columbia
Hey all, I've had a bit of building experience in the past, but not a ton. (Magma, Dark Horse, Billow V2). I'm sort of tired of paying and ordering coils, and timing it right with the mail before my current coils run out. I'm also noticing due to my vape habits at 80-90 watts on a Crown 3, my batteries (Charon or Voopoo drag) are depleting quicker than I'd like.

I just don't think I'd have the patience to build aliens, claptons, twisted coils so I'm thinking of ordering a iJoy Combo 2 RTDA and just doing a dual contact, from what I hear wicking is pretty straight forward on it.

Would a 2 x 7 wrap 24g(dual contact) work well? I would to hit around 65-70 Watts. Sound good for decent flavor and clouds? I already own coil jigs so my goal is to perfect coiling/wicking on the Combo RDTA so it becomes a breeze .

PS: if you personally think there are better RDTA/RTA options for the $20.00-25.00 $$ range. let me know. open to suggestions. I like the concept of an RDTA, perhaps you know of a better straight up RDTA? (no interchangable decks) preferably something current?

Thanks

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
Coil ID does matter for resistance. Bigger coil, more metal to heat. Hard to tell you what specifically to build to, and you don't necessarily need to have a "target" wattage when building with a regulated mod. I favor SS Claptons that I use in TC. Kick it up for a one second preheat, then 40W 440F. Vapes great with a warm smooth vape through the entire draw.

3vilpsychos

Oct 19, 2017
Hey with you ordering a rdta, try building with the coil I'd @.2-.25. I've been really playing with rdtas. The fact that you have a tank constantly feeding your wick really make micro Coils a great choice.
484c84c4c9d94fe9e7513755c895f8dd.jpg

Sent from my Z981 using Tapatalk

Don29palms

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Sep 12, 2014
joshua tree, ca
Hey all, I've had a bit of building experience in the past, but not a ton. (Magma, Dark Horse, Billow V2). I'm sort of tired of paying and ordering coils, and timing it right with the mail before my current coils run out. I'm also noticing due to my vape habits at 80-90 watts on a Crown 3, my batteries (Charon or Voopoo drag) are depleting quicker than I'd like.

I just don't think I'd have the patience to build aliens, claptons, twisted coils so I'm thinking of ordering a iJoy Combo 2 RTDA and just doing a dual contact, from what I hear wicking is pretty straight forward on it.

Would a 2 x 7 wrap 24g(dual contact) work well? I would to hit around 65-70 Watts. Sound good for decent flavor and clouds? I already own coil jigs so my goal is to perfect coiling/wicking on the Combo RDTA so it becomes a breeze .

PS: if you personally think there are better RDTA/RTA options for the $20.00-25.00 $$ range. let me know. open to suggestions. I like the concept of an RDTA, perhaps you know of a better straight up RDTA? (no interchangable decks) preferably something current?

Thanks

The OBS Crius RDTA is a much better RDTA. It's easy to build and much better quality. 2 7/8 wrap coils 24g 316l ss 3.5mm id will give you a .2 ohm resistance. Spaced coils will give you a little better flavor. If you really want some nice clouds and vapor production, pick up a roll of nichrome 80 rectangle wire.

3vilpsychos

Oct 19, 2017
The OBS Crius RDTA is a much better RDTA. It's easy to build and much better quality. 2 7/8 wrap coils 24g 316l ss 3.5mm id will give you a .2 ohm resistance. Spaced coils will give you a little better flavor. If you really want some nice clouds and vapor production, pick up a roll of nichrome 80 rectangle wire.
Yes yes yes yes. Spaced coils provide nothing compared to contact coils in the way of a nice warm vape.

3vilpsychos

Oct 19, 2017
You obviously have no clue youngster.
I have tried spaced coils. I don't need you to sit here and Try to say you have some special knowledge that is only obtainable by you and your kind. Infact, it's nice to meet you. I feel different, would you like to know why? It's called personal preference.

I have a decent good way to get some tension on these coils and they work wonderfully. I have learned less is more with most RDTAs. Great taste.

Nichrome60 kills it. Haven't looked back.

3vilpsychos

Oct 19, 2017
You obviously have no clue youngster.
Looololol. Youngster? Thanks.

He just implied that coil building is a skill measured with age. Hey look im 50, Im balding, my back hurts, but now that im old, I can build amazing spaced coils. [emoji39]

The secret lies in spaced coils! @19 degrees err. Watts.

Jeez. Can't wait!

3vilpsychos

Oct 19, 2017
Nichrome is great. I do agree. But I really don't like spaced coils to each is own.

Don29palms

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Sep 12, 2014
joshua tree, ca
  • Deleted by retired1
  • Reason: Inappropriate and rude

3vilpsychos

Oct 19, 2017
  • Deleted by retired1
  • Reason: Cleanup in aisle 6