I'm having MAJOR issues with smokktech clear cartos

Status
Not open for further replies.

LauraBolyard

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 10, 2011
west palm beach
I don't know what's going on, but it's going from bad to scary!! I have been using the 1.7 on an epower. There have been many inconsistencies, no quality control AT ALL. My tip is now too big and I have to jam it on, of course this leads to the tube co ing loose at the bottom because they are fragile anyway. Some are burnt right out of the box, more often lately. Some are way too tight of a 'pull' and some are way too loose. My friend was having trouble with her unit and batteries (I had given her one of these cartos). It appears that it fried both of her batteries. I was trying to figure out what the issue was, so I put the carto she was using onto my unit and it immediately became burnt and my led button glowed orange, ok THAT was scary!! What the fruit is going on?? It's not the vendor because I order from more than one. I WAS using the DCC's from smoktech, no real issues. I doubt that the switch from dual to single coil is the issue, more likely the time span and they are just becoming crap!! HELP!!

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
I don't know what's going on, but it's going from bad to scary!! I have been using the 1.7 on an epower. There have been many inconsistencies, no quality control AT ALL. My tip is now too big and I have to jam it on, of course this leads to the tube co ing loose at the bottom because they are fragile anyway. Some are burnt right out of the box, more often lately. Some are way too tight of a 'pull' and some are way too loose. My friend was having trouble with her unit and batteries (I had given her one of these cartos). It appears that it fried both of her batteries. I was trying to figure out what the issue was, so I put the carto she was using onto my unit and it immediately became burnt and my led button glowed orange, ok THAT was scary!! What the fruit is going on?? It's not the vendor because I order from more than one. I WAS using the DCC's from smoktech, no real issues. I doubt that the switch from dual to single coil is the issue, more likely the time span and they are just becoming crap!! HELP!!

Sometimes I have bought things and have just had to throw them out and put them on the "Never to Try Again List".

I don't get too upset about it. A 5 pack of Cartos is Less than what I was spending on Analogs Every Two Days. But it is Annoying.

Hottody

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Mar 20, 2011
Temcula CA
I have tried Boge and Smoktech cartos with fairly good luck, but I have found a carto I love! These things (ThunderHeads) are very consistent and taste great, might want to check them out for a change. I think SmokeTech makes them but they are very good!
http://www.vaporbeast.com/15_Thunderhead_Carto_Steal_p/c23.htm
Anyway, I thought you might appreciate the tip Laura! :)

Last edited:

LauraBolyard

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 10, 2011
west palm beach
For months I never had an issue, now many. Thanx for the tip hot!! It's gotten worse!! I put a brand new one in a different unit yesterday and a similar thing happened, everything got REALLY hot. My switch was still firing after my finger was off the button. Button isn't depressed or stuck, but the shut off mechanism isn't shutting off. So now I'm playing with my own 'twist!'. It's called 'twist-a-carto'. I twist on to vape and twist off! Now I'm down an epower 14650 and 2 batts, an18650 and one bat. Kinda pricy

yzer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2011
Northern California
I haven't experienced any problems with Smoktech cartos. I use the 2.0 ohm XL in stainless steel from Hoosier. I also have the 1.7 XL in stainless but don't use those that often. I purchased my last batch of Smoktech cartos in May.

I've been using the same switch module on my E-Power 14650 for a long time. Once in a while (like a couple of months apart) the button will stick in the on position. I just move my thumb lightly as if tracing a "O" on top of button. This just frees up the floating plastic button. The problem clears up quickly and can be caused by dirt or moisture getting under or alongside the button. If the switch under the button is starting to wear out you can get a new replacement switch module pretty cheap. I pm'd you with a couple of vendor suggestions.

My E-Power 14650 has an auto shut-off feature. If the button is held down (or stuck) in the ON position for more than eight seconds then power to the 510 connector will shut down.

yzer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2011
Northern California
The E-Power 14650 switch module at CCV costs under $10 and has all the features.
Crystal Clear Vaping

Tropical Vapors has the replacement switch for the first version of E-Power 18650. $13.
Epower 18650 Electronic Cigarette Replacement Switch by SMOK Tech

Here is where I get my protected 14650 ICR batteries. Can't beat two for $8.80. These Trustfire Blues have the same 1050 mAh capacity as the generics supplied by Smoktech but the Trustfires are much better constructed.
TrustFire 2*3.7V 1600mAh 14650 Protected Rechargeable Li-ion Battery (Blue) - EB289L at US$ 8.80

A couple of vendors are now offering IMR 14650 batteries for the E-Power 14650. These are only 950 mAh though, so I'm sticking with the ICRs.

ray1264

Mar 29, 2012
NC
I'm having the same problem with the 1.7 cartos. I've been using them for a long time and suddenly I'm tossing them out right and left. Bought five boxes from crystal clear and two full boxes were duds. I mean back to back duds. Cant return them or get a refund so I lose. I don't know whats going on but I don't like it. I'm going to try a new vendor. I'll keep you posted.

LauraBolyard

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 10, 2011
west palm beach
I'm glad to know its not just me.. I've ordered from more than one vendor. At first it was an occasional one. Now, like you, I bought three boxes. Not only back-to back duds, but damaged equipment. I don't get it!! Scary AND frustrating. Tossed a LOT of juice. It's been costly and irritating!! I emailed smoktech , but of course I haven't heard anything back.

WillyB

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 21, 2009
USA
I have tried Boge and Smoktech cartos with fairly good luck, but I have found a carto I love! These things (ThunderHeads) are very consistent and taste great, might want to check them out for a change. I think SmokeTech makes them but they are very good!
Just another vendor silly name for the Smok 1.7Ω single coils.

LauraBolyard

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 10, 2011
west palm beach
WillyB, please tell me it ain't tru!! What the fruit?? Don't even know where to go from here!!
Up until a couple of months ago, I was using the clear DC's with no trouble. Vendor told me that it would damage my equipment (epower) and he suggested the single coil 1.7's. I've had nothing but trouble since, getting worse, AND I now have damaged equipment. Now I ask,

1) would I have trouble NOW even with the DC's because smoktech is doing something different all around?
2) is it possible that sub-par cartos are being shoved into a smoktech box, or are all clear cartos basically manufactured in one place?

WillyB

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 21, 2009
USA
... Up until a couple of months ago, I was using the clear DC's with no trouble. Vendor told me that it would damage my equipment (epower) and he suggested the single coil 1.7's. I've had nothing but trouble since, getting worse, AND I now have damaged equipment. Now I ask,

1) would I have trouble NOW even with the DC's because smoktech is doing something different all around?
2) is it possible that sub-par cartos are being shoved into a smoktech box, or are all clear cartos basically manufactured in one place?
Sounds weird to me. Most of the DCs I tried came in at 1.6Ω, can't see how going to a 1.7Ω load would change anything.

LauraBolyard

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 10, 2011
west palm beach
I heard back from my vendor and he DID say that the single coils have been causing him some serious headaches and that he has been in touch with smoktech several times. He states that they have told him theat the problem had. Even taken care of, but his most recent order has been the same trouble. Not so with the DCC's, I'll be going back to those with my fingers crossed!! My neighbor asked to borrow a carto, I handed her the box like Russian roulette, PICK a WINNER!!

LauraBolyard

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 10, 2011
west palm beach
Ok, I'm going to clean some Artie's. I have a lot. I've only dabbled in using them, out of curiosity or E-mergency. These cartos are little better than dripping. About every 4 or 5 draws, I have to resoak. I'm guessing that the filler isn't tight enough around the coils. The problem is that they are ALL like that. Trying another one will just be frustrating. I'm at a loss at the moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread