Innokin T18 problems?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mattmc92

Sep 6, 2016
Super new to vaping, just started yesterday and am not craving a cigarette, i'm ecstatic. Although, I have concerns that I haven't found answers for. Any help in the following would put my mind at great ease.

It feels like i'm getting a bit of liquid through the drip tip, not much at all, might be condensation?

The vape feels warm and the drip tip gets hot after a few puffs, is that normal?

I was told to check if theres a leak by tipping it upside down, after 30s a big drop came out, have I mis aligned the coil with the gasket? It looks straight.

I'm not getting much flavour while vaping, other than some pepperyness, just a little on my lips after, which is a little sweet.

Sorry for noobness.

Smoke_too_much

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2016
Hi Matt and welcome to the forum.

I'm pretty much a noob myself having started serious vaping only last Xmas on top of that I've no experience with that particular vape but maybe I can answer a few of your questions, at least to the best of my ability.

Getting eliquid in the mouth is not abnormal though it usually gets there because of the coil spitting and popping. You hear the noise while drawing and then get a very small hot bit of liquid spit onto your tongue. Some devices and custom builds are more prone to it than others. If there is a leak in a device the liquid usually runs down with gravity, runs through the air flow holes (if they are a bottom air flow which most are) and out onto your mod/battery/fingers. It dosen't normally flow upwards to the drip tip unless you are holding it upside down. While vaping condensation in the coil chamber, the chimney, and the drip tip is common, but again it usually runs down not up and is primarily water.

With no experience with your device it's hard for me to say if the drip tip getting hot is normal for it or not but I see it has a top mounted coil which means the heat of the coil is very close to the tip and your mouth. Some devices have the coil farther away and/or have heat resistance materials in between and/or have air flow to minimize the problem. You can buy replacement drip tips made of non-heat conductive materials, or have cooling fins, or have air flow holes in them, or you can slow your vaping down a bit giving your unit a better chance to cool between draws.

What most likely dripped out was just condensation. If your unit starts leaking you will know soon enough because it will be all over your fingers. Devices with store bought coils are not very prone to leaking but when you put them together it helps to make sure your o rings are all in place and to put a bit of eliquid on them to give them lubrication so they seat properly and last a lot longer.

Lack of flavor can be attributed to a lot of factors including;
- design of your device
- ohms rating on the coil (a higher ohm coil supposedly produces a wetter more flavorful vape)
- the specific juice you are using, its flavor and its VG vs PG makeup
- your coil setup and power settings (not applicable to your device as it dosen't appear to have variable power settings and it has a premade coil)
- airflow, amount and direction
to name a few. I doubt you will achieve what most would consider a flavorful vape using your sort of device, though you should be able to get better than what you have described. Other than moving to a better device (which you will undoubtedly do if you stick with vaping) you can first try to turn down the airflow a bit as that usually brings out more flavor. Next try different ohm rated coils to see if they make a difference. Then you can try different juices. Some juice makers allow you to add additional flavoring which would allow you to compensate for what's lost through this sort of device design. I have two Ijust 2 vapes and they are similar to what you have and yes their flavor is a bit muted but they give reasonable clouds, fit in your pocket easily, and are cheap, so they have their purposes.

The name of the vaping game is experimentation and is in fact much of the fun attached to vaping. There are so many devices out there that when you feel like trading up there lots of folks here who will make recommendations to you. I started with an Evic Mini and a Tron S tank, a nice unit but I've gone beyond that tank to much better ones and am now getting into RTA's and RDTA's big time and am finding them a world away in terms of flavor and cloud production.

bnrkwest

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 6, 2011
Somewhere out there
I use the T18 as my grab and go unit. It does vape hot, get a longer drip tip, I use drip tips over an inch long on them and it helps. I really like T18 but have found it does not like high VG juice, 50-50 is the max VG and works best with higher PG like 60-40. Also when you fill the tank, only fill to bottom of top hole that keeps gurgling down. And yes juice in your mouth means it got juice in the center of air tube. Congrats on quiting smoking! Oh and be sure to soak your new coil for about 10 min to be sure it is saturated before vaping.

djsvapour

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2012
England and Wales
Most tanks get some liquid in the drip-tip recess. This (by my definition) is not leaking.

Warm? Yes, maybe a little. It's based on an old design (the coil 'cartridge') updated with cotton instead of Silica.
It's certainly going to seem hotter than other designs. I remember vaping the old style and yes.... you are right! :)

(the distance between the hot metal coil and your lips is shorter on this than many others).

Reactions: mattmc92

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Not to much to add to what's already been said.
It feels like i'm getting a bit of liquid through the drip tip, not much at all, might be condensation?
More than likely, any liquid sucked up through the drip tip is condensation from vapor that has liquefied from a gaseous state. Sometimes a juice attachment will spit hot liquid that wasn't vaporized properly. If a tank is "flooded", it will gurgle and spit e-liquid into your mouth.

The vape feels warm and the drip tip gets hot after a few puffs, is that normal?
A short metal drip tip will become hot from the heat generated and transferred from the heating coil in the atomizer. Delrin and glass tips do not transfer heat, so they remain cool to the touch.

I was told to check if theres a leak by tipping it upside down, after 30s a big drop came out, have I mis aligned the coil with the gasket? It looks straight.
Hard to say with limited information. You didn't say what juice attachment you are using.

I'm not getting much flavour while vaping, other than some pepperyness, just a little on my lips after, which is a little sweet.
Nicotine has a peppery taste. The higher the nicotine concentration of your e-liquid, the more you'll notice the pepperiness. Gives you incentive to eventually drop your nicotine concentration so that you can better taste the e-liquid's intended flavor.

Being that you just quit smoking, your taste buds are still damaged from the smoking. Eventually, after your taste buds heal, you'll start getting your sense of taste and smell back to normal.

Tip: Exhale some of the vapor out through your nose. Your sense of smell assists your sense of taste. With more complex flavors, you may sense one flavor on the inhale, and another flavor on the exhale.

I think "flavors" are overstated by most vapers, new or old. Nearly all e-liquid flavors are derived from food flavoring agents. Therefore, you won't find an e-liquid that tastes like a cigarette. A watermelon flavor will taste more like watermelon candy than watermelon fruit. Different juice delivery attachments will vary in how much flavor they produce.

Last edited:

mattmc92

Sep 6, 2016
thanks for all your responses. i really like the community here, there's no judgements, and no presumption that i'm some vape master (still learning all the terminology).

three days after i started vaping, i upgraded my unit to an eleaf istick nano variable wattage / temp control device.

i've found the flavour is better, the drip tip is insulated so heat isn't a problem, little to no condensation build up, just all round more enjoyable. i'm using .5 coils which have a recommended wattage of 8-25. temperature control baffles me. i enjoy vaping at 24/25w with these coils, thinking of going to the .3 for 30-80w vaping, for more flavour and bigger clouds.
the istick nano has a max wattage of 40, although i think 30-35w will be my range for a cooler vape. any tips or tricks to share? am i 'sub-ohm' vaping? the coils are below 1ohm?

today also marks one week since i've had a cigarette.
without support from the vapemunity, i'd be so lost on what to do with all the information i come across.

Reactions: Cheallaigh

FishingBuffalo

ECF Veteran
Mar 22, 2012
Collinsville,TX
The T18 is a fixed 14 watt device. It is a warm vape. It is also possible the coil was over primed, that would explain a little gurgling/spitback. Best way to prime the coil when new is fill tank and let is sit or roll it around a minute. Top off tank and let sit for 3 minutes. Thicker juice (up to 70%VG) is Ok as long as you do not chain vape it, giving wicking time to catch up. 50/50 is perfect as it will give youmore throat hit like a cig would. Hope that helps. It is my wife's go to device and is a wonderful mouth to lung unit.

mattmc92

Sep 6, 2016
The T18 is a fixed 14 watt device. It is a warm vape. It is also possible the coil was over primed, that would explain a little gurgling/spitback. Best way to prime the coil when new is fill tank and let is sit or roll it around a minute. Top off tank and let sit for 3 minutes. Thicker juice (up to 70%VG) is Ok as long as you do not chain vape it, giving wicking time to catch up. 50/50 is perfect as it will give youmore throat hit like a cig would. Hope that helps. It is my wife's go to device and is a wonderful mouth to lung unit.

i like the 50/50 for the throat hit, and i do think maybe it was over primed. thanks for the tips.
any thoughts on my last posts about the istick nano?

mattmc92

Sep 6, 2016

More than likely, any liquid sucked up through the drip tip is condensation from vapor that has liquefied from a gaseous state. Sometimes a juice attachment will spit hot liquid that wasn't vaporized properly. If a tank is "flooded", it will gurgle and spit e-liquid into your mouth.

A short metal drip tip will become hot from the heat generated and transferred from the heating coil in the atomizer. Delrin and glass tips do not transfer heat, so they remain cool to the touch.

Hard to say with limited information. You didn't say what juice attachment you are using.

Nicotine has a peppery taste. The higher the nicotine concentration of your e-liquid, the more you'll notice the pepperiness. Gives you incentive to eventually drop your nicotine concentration so that you can better taste the e-liquid's intended flavor.

Being that you just quit smoking, your taste buds are still damaged from the smoking. Eventually, after your taste buds heal, you'll start getting your sense of taste and smell back to normal.

Tip: Exhale some of the vapor out through your nose. Your sense of smell assists your sense of taste. With more complex flavors, you may sense one flavor on the inhale, and another flavor on the exhale.

I think "flavors" are overstated by most vapers, new or old. Nearly all e-liquid flavors are derived from food flavoring agents. Therefore, you won't find an e-liquid that tastes like a cigarette. A watermelon flavor will taste more like watermelon candy than watermelon fruit. Different juice delivery attachments will vary in how much flavor they produce.

thank you for addressing all of my concerns. astounded by the friendliness of the community. many thanks.

Reactions: Baditude

mattmc92

Sep 6, 2016
Hi Matt and welcome to the forum.

I'm pretty much a noob myself having started serious vaping only last Xmas on top of that I've no experience with that particular vape but maybe I can answer a few of your questions, at least to the best of my ability.

Getting eliquid in the mouth is not abnormal though it usually gets there because of the coil spitting and popping. You hear the noise while drawing and then get a very small hot bit of liquid spit onto your tongue. Some devices and custom builds are more prone to it than others. If there is a leak in a device the liquid usually runs down with gravity, runs through the air flow holes (if they are a bottom air flow which most are) and out onto your mod/battery/fingers. It dosen't normally flow upwards to the drip tip unless you are holding it upside down. While vaping condensation in the coil chamber, the chimney, and the drip tip is common, but again it usually runs down not up and is primarily water.

With no experience with your device it's hard for me to say if the drip tip getting hot is normal for it or not but I see it has a top mounted coil which means the heat of the coil is very close to the tip and your mouth. Some devices have the coil farther away and/or have heat resistance materials in between and/or have air flow to minimize the problem. You can buy replacement drip tips made of non-heat conductive materials, or have cooling fins, or have air flow holes in them, or you can slow your vaping down a bit giving your unit a better chance to cool between draws.

What most likely dripped out was just condensation. If your unit starts leaking you will know soon enough because it will be all over your fingers. Devices with store bought coils are not very prone to leaking but when you put them together it helps to make sure your o rings are all in place and to put a bit of eliquid on them to give them lubrication so they seat properly and last a lot longer.

Lack of flavor can be attributed to a lot of factors including;
- design of your device
- ohms rating on the coil (a higher ohm coil supposedly produces a wetter more flavorful vape)
- the specific juice you are using, its flavor and its VG vs PG makeup
- your coil setup and power settings (not applicable to your device as it dosen't appear to have variable power settings and it has a premade coil)
- airflow, amount and direction
to name a few. I doubt you will achieve what most would consider a flavorful vape using your sort of device, though you should be able to get better than what you have described. Other than moving to a better device (which you will undoubtedly do if you stick with vaping) you can first try to turn down the airflow a bit as that usually brings out more flavor. Next try different ohm rated coils to see if they make a difference. Then you can try different juices. Some juice makers allow you to add additional flavoring which would allow you to compensate for what's lost through this sort of device design. I have two Ijust 2 vapes and they are similar to what you have and yes their flavor is a bit muted but they give reasonable clouds, fit in your pocket easily, and are cheap, so they have their purposes.

The name of the vaping game is experimentation and is in fact much of the fun attached to vaping. There are so many devices out there that when you feel like trading up there lots of folks here who will make recommendations to you. I started with an Evic Mini and a Tron S tank, a nice unit but I've gone beyond that tank to much better ones and am now getting into RTA's and RDTA's big time and am finding them a world away in terms of flavor and cloud production.

such a comprehensive response. thank you kindly for your time, and advice.

FishingBuffalo

ECF Veteran
Mar 22, 2012
Collinsville,TX
My tip to you is you are one week into vaping, do not worry about temp control until you get a little further along with your vaping edumication. It can be confusing. Keep that T18 for when you want a cig and enjoy the tight draw and throat hit. You will find that the higher wattage you may want to run, the less PG and nic level needs to be. Also the iStick Nano is a good starter direct lung device. Good to see if something is right for you without breaking the bank.

mattmc92

Sep 6, 2016
My tip to you is you are one week into vaping, do not worry about temp control until you get a little further along with your vaping edumication. It can be confusing. Keep that T18 for when you want a cig and enjoy the tight draw and throat hit. You will find that the higher wattage you may want to run, the less PG and nic level needs to be. Also the iStick Nano is a good starter direct lung device. Good to see if something is right for you without breaking the bank.

i can turn the wattage down on my istick and adjust air flow, so i don't use the t18, i gave it to my mum.
one week in, i've converted my partner, mum and stepdad and a family friend. people love being able to breathe easier apparently, so it was an easy switch.
i've ordered some 6mg - been smoking 18mg, but i've heard there are problems in lower end decives and high vg, and it not being able to wick properly. is the vg just for denser clouds and less throat hit? i'm okay with the throat hit at 25w and i'm not into cloud chasing, i've read people blow between 10-20ml a day. one of the main reasons i switched is vaping in now under a $1 a day habit.

thanks again, still overwhelmed at the kindness here. most online communities suffer from elitistism and are highly devisive. everyone here has been so inclusive and patient.

Last edited:

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
i've heard there are problems in lower end decives and high vg, and it not being able to wick properly. is the vg just for denser clouds and less throat hit? i'm okay with the throat hit at 25w and i'm not into cloud chasing, i've read people blow between 10-20ml a day. one of the main reasons i switched is vaping in now under a $1 a day habit.
That is true. The older first generation tanks used silica string as the wick, which is inferior to cotton in flavor and wicking ability. Today's third generation tanks use larger coils and cotton wick with larger wick holes, so wicking (and dry hits) is not nearly the problem as it was a few years ago.

Pg (propylene glycol) is a better flavor carrier than Vg (vegetable glycerin) and is much thinner in consistency. Liquid with a higher percentage of Pg will be thinner and have more throat hit (harshness) and have less vapor. E-liquid with a higher proportion of Vg will be thicker and produce more vapor and will have less harshness.

Racehorse

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 12, 2012
USA midwest

I don't use the innokin Endura battery but I do use the Endura T18 (Prism) tanks and I love them! They are similar to draw I was getting with cigarette and with cartomizers when vaping. 100% cotton wicking, too.

That Endura battery runs at 14 watts which may be a little high for some vapers, but I think you CAN get some coils for your Prism T18 that are a little higher ohm since they do make them in 2.0 and 1.5.

See the photo here. I have a box of the 1.5's, which I think is what came w/your kit, but obviously the higher ohm 2.0 are available and will give a cooler vape.

2.0s are vertical coils and 1.5 are horizontal .

I did have to thin out my DIY eliquid a little bit but I love the tank and the big holes on this prism T18 tank!

Reactions: bnrkwest

mattmc92

Sep 6, 2016
I don't use the innokin Endura battery but I do use the Endura T18 (Prism) tanks and I love them! They are similar to draw I was getting with cigarette and with cartomizers when vaping. 100% cotton wicking, too.

That Endura battery runs at 14 watts which may be a little high for some vapers, but I think you CAN get some coils for your Prism T18 that are a little higher ohm since they do make them in 2.0 and 1.5.

See the photo here. I have a box of the 1.5's, which I think is what came w/your kit, but obviously the higher ohm 2.0 are available and will give a cooler vape.

2.0s are vertical coils and 1.5 are horizontal .

I did have to thin out my DIY eliquid a little bit but I love the tank and the big holes on this prism T18 tank!

i got some 1.5 and 2.0 replacements immediately know the higher you go (2.0) the cooler the vape.
already switched to an eleaf istick nano 40w vw/tc, i love vaping :) thanks for the advice !

mattmc92

Sep 6, 2016

with my current device, any idea on vg limitations? i'm not expecting max vg unless i add some distilled water and sacrifice flavour. i'm goiing to start diying liquid. thinking 30pg/70vg might be the max my device can handle at 35w.
with other direct lung devices, they intimidate me with temp control, external batteries / non usb rechargable, things like .15 coils that carry safety warnings, differences in ti and ni coils, it's too much too quick i think. i mean.. as long as i were to keep things in the safe wattage range stamped on the coil, i'm not going to melt my face right?

FishingBuffalo

ECF Veteran
Mar 22, 2012
Collinsville,TX
Do what is comfortable for YOU, and keep in that realm. Be safe. Be patient, especially DIYing. I myself do not DIY and will not. Comb this forum really good. Too much good info to help you find your vaping path not to look around. 30/70 is a good DL blend, some like 20/80 or max VG. I myself MTL 13-15 watts for my all day vape and prefer 60/40. I subohm for play. Beauty of vaping is the customization options available for each of us to find our own path.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread