*Insert generic mAh question here*

Status
Not open for further replies.
In a protected VV/VW mod, what's the highest mAh capacity 18350 battery out there? Of course I've seen whatever-fire batteries rated at 1200mAh, but like hell if I know if it's anything close to that. Do 18350 with a 1200mAh capacity even exist? I'm just interested in shortening my telescopic mod and don't mind switching out batteries, however I'm a little spoiled from my ~3400mAh panasonic that lasts almost an entire day of chain-vaping :D

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
700 mAh is about the highest you're going to find. Some are rated at 800, but because of differences in the way manufacturers rate them it's a wash. I guaranty you there are no 1200 mAh batteries out there in this size.

Probably more important than this though is what is the lowest resistance coil you're going to use. Typical max currecnt draw is around 6A but you need to leave some leeway in there. Efest makes a 10A now I think, but I don't know much about it.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
TheWarmth98 said:
How will I get better performance with the IMR in a regulated mod? Couldn't I just boost the power up with an ICR? Or would that pretty much just equal out and wind up using the same amount of energy from the battery?

Attempting to boost the power up with an ICR battery will cause a drop in the mod's performance and stress the battery.

There is far more to choosing a battery than just picking one with the highest mAh rating.

ICR batteries are low drain output with high internal resistance, with a limited amp capacity (usually less than 3 amps). They are great for continuous low drain applications like a flashlight, but not so great for intermittant high drain applications like a regulated PV.

Using Ohm's Law, running a device at 4.2v with a 1.8 ohm coil will draw 2.3 amps from the battery. This is safely below the 2.65 amp rating of the average 2600 mAh ICR 18650 battery. However, using a 1.8 ohm coil at 5.5v will draw over 3 amps which is over that battery's amp rating and would not be safe to use.

IMR batteries are high drain output with low internal resistance, with a much larger amp capacity (6 - 35 amps depending upon the size and chemistry of the battery). They won't have the battery capacity (mAh) of an ICR battery, but they are far more capable of supplying high bursts of energy (low internal resistance and higher amps) when demanded by a regulated mod.

A regulated mod uses buck boost circuitry, and PWM (pulse width modulation) circuitry, in the regulated processor to make high voltage from a 3.7 volt battery. The processor may need to pull up to 6 - 9 amps from the battery to do this. An ICR battery doesn't have these amps to give, so performance will be far from optimum in the mod. The ICR battery will struggle to supply the power, and you won't see all those mAh's that were advertised in the spec sheet as a result.

On the other hand, the IMR high drain batteries are designed specifically for this purpose. Add to the fact that high drain batteries just happen to be safer chemistry, and you have a much better battery.

Why high drain batteries?

Question for the tech engineers

Deeper Understanding of Mod Batteries

TheWarmth98 said:
I'm a little spoiled from my ~3400mAh panasonic that lasts almost an entire day of chain-vaping

BTW, those 3400mAh Panasonic batteries you are using are not high drain. In a low drain application like a flashlight they would last 34 hours, but you stated you get less than a day in your regulated mod. That's because they are not high drain and being used in a high drain application.

The Panasonic NCR18650PD 2900mAh or Panasonic NCR18650PF 2900mAh would last longer and improve your regulated mod's performance because they are a high drain battery.

Last edited:

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
If the above post and links are too difficult to understand, I just found a video which demonstrates the concept I am trying to get across to you. At the 5:50 mark in the video, the demonstrator shows the relationship of amp draw on a battery using different resistance coils and voltage output. This concept applies to the difference in how an amp draw affects a low drain battery vs a high drain battery.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread