Intro + question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rainz

ECF Veteran
Sep 15, 2011
Winnipeg, Canada
Hi All,

Just registered as new member of the forum :).

Been reading ECF for about a week, and just ordered my first PV ... the Volt starter kit w/ PCC. So far, I love this e-cig and the liquids that came with it.

One thing I'm confused about is the PG/VG, throat hit/vapor prod. thing. My juices are @ 70PG/30VG, and the TH is great, but not alot of vapor exhaled.

> My question is; Is the TH caused by the PG in the mix, or from the nic. content? <

... other than that, just wanted to say Hello to everyone here! I've already absorbed a good amount of info in the last week of reading@ ECF... much more to learn. And thanks for having me. Hope I too can soon contribute to the wealth of knowledge here!

Rainz

dormouse

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 31, 2010
Pennsylvania
TH is nicotine
TH is let through best by PG, dulled by VG (which also dulls flavor and irritation)
Heat enhances TH (and KR808D-1 which Volt is, is the hot for a slim ecig)

PG and heat cannot create TH - they just enhance nicotine's TH

I won't use any more than 20% VG in cartos. I think it degrades the airflow. Ditto for juices that drop a lot of flavoring sediment specks in the carto.

IMO better airflow gives more volume of vapor and gives me longer good use out of each carto.

If you want want tons of visible vapor and weak TH and flavor, try a DSE901 atomizer and drip tip on a Volt manual only (the manuals are sealed) w/ high VG juices. You could also try the Vapor4Life VG juices which may be thinned enough for cartos.

BTW standard resistance DSE901 atomizer only. The hotter LR ones are for the fat batteries and mods (450mah+)

Last edited:

Cotty77

Jun 12, 2011
Chester UK
Higher nicotine equals greater TH, but I agree adding a more powerful battery (when you are ready to invest more money) is a win. Getting yourself even something like an ego with a LR atty will make a big difference to your vaping experience..or even giving a cisco 306 atty a go - that was my first big hit on the TH as I tend to vape mainly 18mg!

Rainz

ECF Veteran
Sep 15, 2011
Winnipeg, Canada
ok.... I got a bottle of VG usp from my local pharmacy, for some quicky experimentation. My juices are supposed to be 70pg/30vg. I added about 40% VG(4ml) to one of the bottles(to top up to 10mls again), and if my calculations are right, it should now be 42pg/58vg.

Testing both the original and the new mix gives immensely different results. A small pull from the new(VG added) blend results in huge vapor exhaled, that lingers for about 10 seconds(blown at light)... but it's much heavier feeling in the lungs, and the throat hit is gone completely.

The original 70/30 blend gives great throat hit, with very little vapor exhaled, that vanishes almost instantly. [same 5 sec hit on both... same time held in]

I'll be ordering more juices soon, and hopefully I can find that pg-vg balance that hits the sweet spot.

Great input from all...thanks!

[oh... I think i'll try to tweak the Volt for now... just got it a few days ago. This may help when i'm ready to upgrade ;) ]

Last edited:

TitanRich

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 30, 2011
Chicagoland/NWI
@Rainz

Something I learned since vaping, you don't need to hold in the vapor very long, if at all. That could be why your vapor is diminished. All of my 70/30 blends make clouds as well as good/decent TH.

Something to think about.

Congrats and welcome.

I know there's a thread around here that points out the differences between the actions of smoking and vaping. Maybe something to look for.

Last edited:

Iffy

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 3, 2011
Florida Suncoast
Rainz,

I'm soooo glad you joined; if for no other reason than your avatar!
lol.gif

BTW, good luck with your quest for the perrrfect flavor...
thumbsup.gif

burns_erin

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 22, 2010
The ArmPit of Texas
I prefer a greater amount of vg cut with some vodka. But you are right about the th. So when I want that I trends to smoke a flavor like cinnamon roll. It very satisfactorily simulates th for me. Too much pg aggravated my asthma. But that could be a factor of relatively high ambient humidity. Good luck.

Rainz

ECF Veteran
Sep 15, 2011
Winnipeg, Canada
Kasala, TitanRich - This is something to consider, but I don't hold the vapor in at all, just inhale and immediately exhale. I inhale deeply though... average I would say. Now that you mention this, there's probably many personal variables related to this such as; lung capacity, draw style, etc. ...thanks for that.

Iffy - Glad you got a charge from Yoga-dog... someone emailed me this a while back :p

burns-erin - I love a strong menthol, so would probably like that cinnamon as well...thx!

lighter - thanks for that, glad to be here!

Well, I think I found that sweet-spot I was after! I downloaded a great little(free) program called "E-juice me up", that helps you get to your target nic + pg/vg preference.
Inputting my 70/30 blend @22%nic, I set my target at 18% nic, and 65/35 pg/vg for starters. Then knocked down the target PG% by 1 until the calc. returned 'add 0 drops PG', which was now at 62pg/38vg. With this formula I was to add 8 drops nic to 1 drop VG. (to make my target sample of .5ml)
I then mixed 16 drops nic. and 2 drops VG(doubled the recipe to fill carto), and dripped into a new cartomizer.

The result is perfect(for me)! ...now 18% nic @ 62/38, this mix provides lots of vapor and throat hit.

Considering what others have said about having great results with a 70/30 blend, methinks that maybe my original juice was pure PG, i dunno. Once I get all my DIY supplies, i'll make some comparisons. Whatever it really is now, i'm liking it alot... much better than the original juice. :2cool:

Rainz

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread