IPV Mini 2 with a 40A battery?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I just bought an ipv Mini 2 that says that the AMP limit is from 10A(I think)-30A but then I bought an AWT 18650 3.7V 2600mah 40A and 40 is obviously over than 30 and I was wondering whether I can still use this battery or no?

A friend of mine told me 40A on a digital mod can fry the chip, but I want to know from you guys hence I registered here :)

Reactions: Susan~S

Susan~S

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 12, 2014
Mpls/St.Paul, MN
The AWT 18650 3.7V 2600mah 40A battery is only 20A CDR (continuous discharge rate). 40A is the pulse discharge rating which is an arbitrary spec and should be ignored.

You should be fine using a 20A battery in your ipv Mini2. I generally would use a 30A battery if I was constantly running at 70watts or 0.2Ω because I don't like to push a 20A battery that hard.

Check out @Baditude (one of our resident battery/safety experts). He has a blog post on the "mislabeling" of batteries.

Purple Efest Batteries not as Advertised
* A cautionary blog that reveals that the purple Efest batteries may not have the specifications advertised. Also includes a commentary on "continuous discharge ratings" vs "pulse discharge ratings" of battery specs.

Reactions: Baditude
The AWT 18650 3.7V 2600mah 40A battery is only 20A CDR (continuous discharge rate). 40A is the pulse discharge rating which is an arbitrary spec and should be ignored.

You should be fine using a 20A battery in your IPV Mini2. I generally would use a 30A battery if I was constantly running at 70watts or 0.2Ω because I don't like to push a 20A battery that hard.

So to make it clear to me, I can still use it without worrying about damaging the mod? Though I'm still in doubt and I might just buy a VTC5 o_O

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
You should be fine with that battery in your IPV, although it is a relatively new battery on the market. I have not seen any independent testing of it to verify it's claimed specs. As long as you use a high drain battery with at least 20 amps continuous discharge rate, you'll be fine.

Your IPV Mini2 is a regulated mod, which means its processor has built-in protective circuitry. Whenever something is not kosher with Ohm's Law (ie short circuit), the IPV should refuse to fire the atomizer and display an error message to protect itself.

Battery Basics for Mods: IMR or Protected ICR?

Deeper Understanding of Mod Batteries Part 1

Reactions: k702

The_Nom

Apr 28, 2015
As said above, the only thing that will damage it on the battery end is if you over volt it. The mod regulates the amperage/voltage on the backend to equal the wattage.
Take in theory. You plug a charger into your cars 12v outlet, the charger only uses 2 amps but the outlet can /PROVIDE/ 15amps. You won't damage it, right?
Same thing here. You will be able to provide more then the IPV can use, but it will only draw it's own maxumim current. Again, your friend was likely talking if you were trying to output a higher wattage then it supports, which won't happen.
All this means if you have more battery overhead, no harm no fowl.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread