IPV Mini keeps shutting off

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrsMojoRisin

Verified Member
Nov 21, 2014
Commonwealth of Massachusetts
I bought my husband the ipv mini for Christmas and for some reason it keeps shutting off on him. When it shuts off in order to get it to turn on again he has to take the battery out and put it back in. We just bought new batteries and it happens even with a full charge on them. Has anyone else has a problem with this and know how to fix it or have any ideas of what is causing this? I use mech mods and am not familiar with regulated so I'm no help to him. Thanks.

MrsMojoRisin

Verified Member
Nov 21, 2014
i have the same mod, the IPV mini, I noticed that it goes into "standby" mode if you don't fire it for a few seconds. if the screen just goes blank, it's not off its just in standby mode, just click the fire button again. other than that I would see if you could get it replaced though the warranty.

It's definitely not going into standby mode because it doesn't turn on when you press the fire button, or when you press if 5 times for that matter. It doesn't work at all now, Bonehead started fudging around with it instead of waiting for me to either get some feedback here or call the B&M tomorrow. I have no idea what could have happened, possible we just got a wonky one. I'll call the store in the morning and see if they will replace it or if I have to go to Green Leaf directly.

trlandoll

Nov 5, 2013
tucson az usa
I'm very sorry to hear that :(

I hope you can get a replacement or maybe they have a good quick fix at the B&M that you bought it at.

I have had mine maybe a week and so far loving it, so yeah maybe you just got a lemon.

again very sorry, I wish you the best with it though

edit: the only other thing I can think of is that you're maybe going too low or high on your oms (it handles between 0.5 and 3 ohms) or the battery you have cant handle the wattage of the device, try a higher amp 18650 battery maybe...sorry I coulden't be more help :(

Last edited:

MrsMojoRisin

Verified Member
Nov 21, 2014
Raise hell with the B&M. Are you sure it is authentic?

I'm fairly certain it is authentic. I have a good relationship with the guys at the store so if they can help me out I'm sure they will. I don't know if this is normal or has something to do with the problem but since the day he opened it when you fire the mod the battery fluctuates up and down by one bar until you stop pulling. If it's not normal than it's been messed up from the beginning.

c3scott

ECF Veteran
Nov 21, 2014
PA
Raise hell with the B&M. Are you sure it is authentic?

Hate to hijack but.....I have had zero problems with my mini but I bought a black mini on eBay and it is not gunmetal color. Wondering if there are actually black ones now. If it is fake my only complaint would be the threading on the battery cover

congaman

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2010
Saint Augustine Florida
Cool name MrsMojoRisin, from The Doors I'm guessing. The battery indicator will fluctuate when you fire the mod, that is normal. It's just telling you that it's drawing from the battery. Just out of curiosity, what kind of battery are you using in it? Brand, Amps, etc. Is the battery new and have you tested it and forgive me for asking but, is it installed correctly?(sometimes that happens) Other than that all i can think of is that it may be a defective chip. one more thing, if you press the up/down buttons together i think it will lock the unit,might want to try that and see if it remedies the situation. I'm no expert on the matter but these are a few things i've read about, maybe they will help. Good luck!

MrsMojoRisin

Verified Member
Nov 21, 2014
Cool name MrsMojoRisin, from The Doors I'm guessing. The battery indicator will fluctuate when you fire the mod, that is normal. It's just telling you that it's drawing from the battery. Just out of curiosity, what kind of battery are you using in it? Brand, Amps, etc. Is the battery new and have you tested it and forgive me for asking but, is it installed correctly?(sometimes that happens) Other than that all i can think of is that it may be a defective chip. one more thing, if you press the up/down buttons together i think it will lock the unit,might want to try that and see if it remedies the situation. I'm no expert on the matter but these are a few things i've read about, maybe they will help. Good luck!

Thanks Congaman, I seem to have got it working again for now. Let's see if it shuts off again. Now that you mention pressing the up/down button at the same time he may be accidently switching it into mobile mode. I don't think so but it's possible for sure. I have brand new Samsung 25R's and Green 38amp Imrens and I have a D2 Nitecore so it's not the batteries. He's still using the stock coil which is 1.0 ohms are the posts are tight, no shorts, so that's not it either. I'll see how long it stays on for this time.

BTW, yes, The End is one of my favorite songs ever. Would have gone with ScarletFire but it seems it was taken.

MrsMojoRisin

Verified Member
Nov 21, 2014
I have this issue now.

Are there any ipv mini users who have there mod for over 3 months without issue?....Sometimes mine work without the display on.

Mine is under a months old

You may have a problem with the chip in it, is the display not on or just in standby mode?I have heard many people have no issues with the IPVmini and I think Congaman was correct that he was somehow locking the IPV by switching it into mobile mode while he was taking a pull off it. I made him show me how he was holding it when he was taking a draw and I think the heel of his hand was hitting the up/down buttons at the same time. We haven't had a problem with it since....yet. If it happens again and he is not accidently locking it we'll have to contact Greenleaf about the warranty, which I have also heard they are very good about. If it's not a user error that's causing your issues definitely contact where you purchased the IPVmini or Greealeaf directly.

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2012
Williamsport Md
MrsMojoRisin
You are handling this well and in the right fashion. The IPV mini is a very nice Mod, but like anything Mass produced some can have issues. Doesn't matter if it is a Mod, kids toy or an automobile, it happens. It is nice to have something that is actually warrantied.

I have owned (2) since they first shipped out and both are working very well.
I also picked up a Cloupor mini - it is nice and handy but less versatile than the IPV. Seems more flimsy also.

x3ro

Apr 15, 2013
Arlington, TX
I'm currently having the same issue with my month old IPV Mini. If I let it go into standby mode, when I press the fire button the display with light up for a second then the unit will shut off. I have to remove the battery and reinstall and turn it back on and it's fine again unless I let it go into standby mode. Very annoying, and it sounds like the warranty company for P4U is a pain in the .... I'm so frustrated with this!

ktez71

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 29, 2014
WI
My hubby has had that happen to his IPV mini a couple times too, tried swapping batteries and plugging it in, both batteries were fully charged. He eventually got it to come on again, but it happens about once a week to him. I will check on the mobile mode thing, not sure how he holds it. But can't you still see something on the display even if it goes into mobile mode?

Sent from my iP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread