Is a 100W mod enough for double coils?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Franklinrw

Feb 13, 2015
Honduras
Hello guys,
I recently purchased a single coil RTA, my first rebuildable experience. I love it!! .
I saw at the shop a double coil RTA and a Double coil rda, was planning on buying one of them until I thought I only have a 100W mod. Do you guys think it is enough? Are there some specific ohms coils that could make it work etc? Or is a 100W enough? I am new to this so calculating ohms law and all the other stuff I will learn, I just need a answer from the double coilers if you guys use higher wattage mods or not.
Thank you in advance!

sonicbomb

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2015
1187 Hundertwasser
Within reasonable limits, with a regulated mod the resistance of the coil doesn't really matter.

100W for dual coils should be plenty. Of course this depends on which two coils.
If you are planning on using two monster quintuple-core 22 guage core beasts that weigh half a kilo, then no.
If you are planning on using plain round wire coils or relatively simple claptons then yes, enough power.

What mod are you using, and which batteries are you using with it?

Pigs

Vaping
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 7, 2019
Sydney Australia
Hello guys,
I recently purchased a single coil RTA, my first rebuildable experience. I love it!! .
I saw at the shop a double coil RTA and a Double coil RDA, was planning on buying one of them until I thought I only have a 100W mod. Do you guys think it is enough? Are there some specific ohms coils that could make it work etc? Or is a 100W enough? I am new to this so calculating ohms law and all the other stuff I will learn, I just need a answer from the double coilers if you guys use higher wattage mods or not.
Thank you in advance!

Congratulations on discovering the joys of BYO!

Even for dual coil builds as low as 0.15 Ohms, I've never needed more than about 80W. That's my own personal experience though and I know some like it hotter. Others are happy with 50 or 60W for that build. It's really up to your preference.

If your mod only goes to 100W then battery life may be a limiting factor for you if you plan on vaping big dual coil builds.

I'd say just experiment with what you have.

Good luck.

• Agree
Reactions: mimöschen

mimöschen

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 15, 2016
100w is more than enough for me and my dual coil atties, because I seldom vape higher than 70W.
If mod size is not that big of an issue, I highly prefere single 21700 over 18650 mods, because a Samsung 40T 4000mah, Molicel P42A 4000mah, Sanyo 2070C 3500mah or even Samsung 30T 3000mah guarantee a much longer vaping time over any 18650 available at these high wattages.

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Hello guys,
I saw at the shop a double coil RTA and a Double coil RDA, was planning on buying one of them until I thought I only have a 100W mod. Do you guys think it is enough? Are there some specific ohms coils that could make it work etc? Or is a 100W enough? I am new to this so calculating ohms law and all the other stuff I will learn, I just need a answer from the double coilers if you guys use higher wattage mods or not.
Thank you in advance!

100 watts is more than enough power to drive dual coils. I happily vape a dual coil attie at around 7 watts just fine.

It doesn't matter if you have a single coil or two of them to absorb the watts (power) you set, as long as the build is appropriate for the watts you push into your setup. The RTA or RDA you have however has to be able to perform well at the watts you want to vape at.

With a regulated mod, you don't need to worry about about resistance, it's all about the watts that your battery(s) can handle. Ask if you need more info about that.

Best of luck with it :cool:

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Superuser187

Franklinrw

Feb 13, 2015
Honduras
Within reasonable limits, with a regulated mod the resistance of the coil doesn't really matter.

100W for dual coils should be plenty. Of course this depends on which two coils.
If you are planning on using two monster quintuple-core 22 guage core beasts that weigh half a kilo, then no.
If you are planning on using plain round wire coils or relatively simple claptons then yes, enough power.

What mod are you using, and which batteries are you using with it?

Thank you for the reply, I plan on using a Mag grip kit with a single 21700 battery, I do have a spare 18650 too. My only other mod is a Tarot Baby 85 Watts.
I am glad to hear I can use my mag grip then! I understand double coils will go through battery and juice faster than a single coil. I can also purchased another single coil, don't know if a double coil is much more superior than singles.

Franklinrw

Feb 13, 2015
Honduras
100 watts is more than enough power to drive dual coils. I happily vape a dual coil attie at around 7 watts just fine.

It doesn't matter if you have a single coil or two of them to absorb the watts (power) you set, as long as the build is appropriate for the watts you push into your setup. The RTA or RDA you have however has to be able to perform well at the watts you want to vape at.

With a regulated mod, you don't need to worry about about resistance, it's all about the watts that your battery(s) can handle. Ask if you need more info about that.

Best of luck with it :cool:

The main battery I will be using is a single 21700 4000 nah, my back up is a 18650 on a mag grip kit 100W

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    My 21700 is a MXJO ,4,000 mah

Is this the one?

Bench Test Results: MXJO 20A 4000mAh 21700...accurately rated, good 30W-35W battery

If so, keep in mind that battery has a low CDR and is only good for up to 45W in a single battery mod and up to 90W for a dual battery mod.

Higher than that and you'll need a battery with a higher CDR, like the the aforementioned

Samsung 40T 4000mah (up to 75W single and 150W dual)
    Molicel P42A 4000mah (up to 90W single and 180W dual)
    Samsune 30T 3000mah (up to 90W single and 180W dual)

Good links to bookmark:

List of Mooch's battery tests:
    List of Battery Tests | E-Cigarette Forum

Battery drain/amp draw calculator:
    Battery Amp Draw / Drain Calculator - Vaping Hardware

Last edited:

Franklinrw

Feb 13, 2015
    Honduras
    Is this the one?

Bench Test Results: MXJO 20A 4000mAh 21700...accurately rated, good 30W-35W battery

If so, keep in mind that battery has a low CDR and is only good for up to 45W in a single battery mod and up to 90W for a dual battery mod.

Higher than that and you'll need a battery with a higher CDR, like the the aforementioned

Samsung 40T 4000mah (up to 75W single and 150W dual)
    Molicel P42A 4000mah (up to 90W single and 180W dual)
    Samsune 30T 3000mah (up to 90W single and 180W dual)

Good links to bookmark:

List of Mooch's battery tests:
    List of Battery Tests | E-Cigarette Forum

Battery drain/amp draw calculator:
    Battery Amp Draw / Drain Calculator - Vaping Hardware

Oh Dam!!! That's my exact same battery!! I've been using it at 50w in my single battery mod!! Is it dangerous? And if I get the dual coil RTA I'll be doing at least 65w. But then even with a single coil I am screwed.

hittman

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009
    Somewhere between here and there
    Oh Dam!!! That's my exact same battery!! I've been using it at 50w in my single battery mod!! Is it dangerous? And if I get the dual coil RTA I'll be doing at least 65w. But then even with a single coil I am screwed.

I personally would get rid of that battery and buy one of the ones that have been recommended with a higher CDR rating. I personally like the Molicel and Samsung 21700 batteries.

Z-Lee

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
  • Apr 17, 2021
    Upper Midwest
    Hello guys,
    Thank you in advance!
    Volts / Ohms = Amp draw
    Those batteries you're using offer 10-15A (max 20A CDR, but you don't really want to be using it at it's max CDR for battery longevity)
    So for a single in a regulated device, you'd multiply that by roughly 3 to give you an idea of what that single battery can handle. If it's a dual battery regulated device, you'd multiply the resulting value by 2 (so 3x2, or 6). With a single MXJO that you have, 30-45, dual would be 60-90. If you ran it at it's estimated max CDR of 20 in a dual mod, that's 20x6 which is 120W. You're likely to burn those batteries out pretty quickly, but according to mooch's estimated max CDR, it can supposedly handle it (at the risk of losing recharge cycles).

In short, for a single battery of the MXJO you're using, I wouldn't go above 60W. 45W to be on the safe side and for the sake of having more than 300 recharge cycles on that battery.

• Winner
    Reactions: Tommy-Chi

Hawise

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Mar 25, 2013
    AB, Canada

'Is it dangerous?' is a hard question to answer. Most likely, you'll just see the battery age and lose function much faster than it should. However, there is a chance, albeit a small one, that it could go bang - especially after it's been used over its CDR (continuous discharge rating) and thereby damaged for some time. The chances aren't high, but the consequences would be devastating. So the question becomes: is it worth the risk? Consider too that there are a number of batteries that can be more safely used at that wattage, and they're usually little if any more expensive.

@UncleJunkle has provided a good list of batteries. If you want to work out the limits for your batteries yourself, it's pretty straightforward:
    1. Find the CDR of the battery. Note that some manufacturers and some sellers lie through their teeth about the CDR, so it's best to get it from Mooch's tests.
    2. Multiply the CDR by the number of batteries in your mod and by a factor of three. That's your watt limit. For example, if a battery has a 30A CDR and you're using it in your single battery mod, you'd have a limit of 30 x 1 x 3 = 90 watts.
    3. If you intend to use the battery near the limit, e.g. at 80 watts when you have a 90 watt limit, you'll probably get better performance out of a higher CDR battery even if it has a lower capacity (mAh).
    Another tip is to stick to batteries from the major manufacturers: Sony/Murata, Sanyo/Panasonic, Samsung, LG, or Molicel. Other batteries tend to be poorer quality and give less reliable CDRs. Finally, there are a lot of counterfeit batteries around, so it's best to buy them from one of the reliable vendors Mooch recommends. They tend to have more reliable supply lines and many spot check their shipments to make sure the batteries are behaving as expected. Best of all, they're no more expensive (and often cheaper) than other vendors.

Mooch's recommended vendors:
    18650.uk
    18650batterystore.com
    akkuteile.de
    batterybro.com
    ecoluxshopdirect.co.uk
    fogstar.co.uk
    illumn.com
    imrbatteries.com
    liionwholesale.com
    orbtronic.com
    rtdvapor.com

Z-Lee

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
  • Apr 17, 2021
    Upper Midwest
    I personally would get rid of that battery and buy one of the ones that have been recommended with a higher CDR rating. I personally like the Molicel and Samsung 21700 batteries.
    @Franklinrw I wouldn't necessarily throw it out - but just make it a priority to get some higher Max CDR batteries if you're looking to pump out some higher wattages. 18650batterystore has P26A's selling for $3.50 right now that have an estimated Max CDR of 25A according to mooch. I'd buy a dozen or so if you can, assuming the mod you have has a sleeve to accommodate an 18650 and you don't mind about 20% less battery life per charge vs. a 21700.
    Molicel P26A 18650 2600mAh 35A Battery - 18650 Battery Store

• Agree
    Reactions: Tommy-Chi
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread