Status
Not open for further replies.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
This becomes a question of how the term social media is defined.

In its broadest sense, anything where people can converse publicly in this way might be considered “social media”. When Martin Luther nailed his treatise to the cathedral doors in the 14th century AD it could be considered to be social media. this would also automatically include all forums and BBSes which is a phenomena dating back to before the internet as we know it was even created. There were numerous BBSes on AOL for example.

In its strictest sense this is NOT social media because it very intentionally lacks large amounts of modern systems of tracking, bot interference, automatic referral systems, and other things that make modern social media what it is.

where do you draw the line?

the question becomes then does this particular forum share any of the issues mentioned in the article, and if so in what ways?

looking at the article, it appears to be a summary and interpretation of a survey.

The article makes three claims:

-social media is viewed as being very inaccurate
-Social media serves to amuse and anger but also make people feel lonely and depressed.
-Social media tends to argue from limited information

Only one question is directly treated. It is interesting because of the blank space after the term “social media” implying the answers were to specific sites rather than a general question. This makes question one somewhat useless because I very highly doubt this site was included even once.

the second two points seem to be that social media tends to make emotional and frivolous arguments and often to do so from a basis of limited information.

I have seen emotion arguments made here. I have probably made a few. I think they get shot down here a lot more quickly than they do on more normal social media. I’ve been kicked off Facebook twice through concerted effort by other users for shooting down emotional arguments I saw made.
I would say some, but less than average.

the partial information thing is sort of a given, and something of an unfair complaint.

No human has complete information.

Is there a lack of complete information here? Yes. The thing is we KNOW that there is a lack of information, and we tend to precede on that basis.
I think there is more information here than in many other places. That information is still not complete though.

so what does this site share with other social media? Some things. At least partially. That few people believe what we have to say? Undoubtedly. Belief is not binary though.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
I think ECF is very much like other social medias. ECF has a very fb feel to it compared to non vaping forums I visit.
I have my own ideas/opinions about it but no way on this big ol flat erf am I going to share them here :D
Opinions about vaping or about other things? I’ve got a lot of opinions myself. The only ones I think are appropriate to be shared here are ones about e-cigarettes, and perhaps not even all of those. Opinions about other things have a way of working in though. I try to minimize it in myself, and if I see a non vaping related opinion I tend to jump on it with an opposite one just on principle.

GOMuniEsq

Self-Proclaimed Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 25, 2012
Alberta, Canada
Social media platforms are all about privacy-invasions, venture capitalists and their customer-is-the-product, eyeballs-to-be-monetized schemes; self-aggrandizement and one-upmanship. Our community is made by us, for our own exclusive benefit. We still remember a time when people were wise enough to know that using real names online is foolhardy and unnecessary. We know how to disagree—our skins are thick enough that we don't need to resort to blocking contrary opinions until we only see things we agree with. We refuse to cheapen ourselves by identifying with that name because we were here first and we do it better. ECF is a web forum.

Jebbn

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2018
safe distance from a black hole
Opinions about vaping or about other things? I’ve got a lot of opinions myself. The only ones I think are appropriate to be shared here are ones about e-cigarettes, and perhaps not even all of those. Opinions about other things have a way of working in though. I try to minimize it in myself, and if I see a non vaping related opinion I tend to jump on it with an opposite one just on principle.
I have my "ideas and opinions" about why "ECF feels more like fb than other non vape forums I visit".
Thats all I was saying.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
I have my "ideas and opinions" about why "ECF feels more like fb than other non vape forums I visit".
Thats all I was saying.
It doesn’t feel particularly like Facebook to me. Definitely doesn’t feel like reddit, which i find to be awful, trollish, and insulting personally.

kross8

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 20, 2016
stuck in a squishy pod called my brain
I think ECF is social media,, we interact with each other. On Facebook everyone just posts memes , inspiration messages & sometimes something about themselves or their lives. Overall Facebook is like a wall of graffiti,, low on conversation high on garbage

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain
I think ECF is social media,, we interact with each other. On Facebook everyone just posts memes , inspiration messages & sometimes something about themselves or their lives. Overall Facebook is like a wall of graffiti,, low on conversation high on garbage

Yep.. that's the one thing I learned about Facebook, any comment that is not in 100% approval of said meme, anything that resembles discussion or anything more than saying hey I think your perfect and ideas and thoughts genius is unwanted.

Facebook is a sounding board, not a discussion or exchange of ideas. As a result all I do is post the occasional funny meme, and wish family members and friends happy birthday..

lol..

Tabac man

ECF Veteran
May 24, 2019
London

Facebook provides a means for interaction. How people choose to use it varies. There are many many private groups on Facebook with a focus be it vaping or bikes. I used it to successfully track down my Army buddies from 30 years ago, so it has it's uses.

kross8

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 20, 2016
Facebook provides a means for interaction. How people choose to use it varies. There are many many private groups on Facebook with a focus be it vaping or bikes. I used it to successfully track down my Army buddies from 30 years ago, so it has it's uses.
I agree, and I am a member of some groups where it is more like here,, we interact.

kross8

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 20, 2016
Yep.. that's the one thing I learned about Facebook, any comment that is not in 100% approval of said meme, anything that resembles discussion or anything more than saying hey I think your perfect and ideas and thoughts genius is unwanted.

Facebook is a sounding board, not a discussion or exchange of ideas. As a result all I do is post the occasional funny meme, and wish family members and friends happy birthday..

lol..
I sometimes feel like the designated "like" person,, I don't post enough to be noticed,,, but I will get the random "did you see my post about bunnies?'----then I'm like what ' the hell??? You have a Phd!- grow up'--- under my breath. You learn a lot about people,, stuff you could live without knowing haha

amoret

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 2, 2013
Sharon, ND, USA
I mostly use facebook for 3 groups I belong to dealing with a rare illness. Most of us are likely to never meet someone else with it in real life but in the FB groups we can interact with people from around the world and share info on symptoms and treatments, and we can whine a little with folks who understand.

I have also used it to find friends from long ago (50th high school reunion anyone?) and still use it to keep in touch with people who have scattered as time's gone by. I am fascinated about how well we still get along.

Cool_Breeze

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 10, 2011
Kentucky
I sometimes feel like the designated "like" person,, I don't post enough to be noticed,,, but I will get the random "did you see my post about bunnies?'----then I'm like what ' the hell??? You have a Phd!- grow up'--- under my breath. You learn a lot about people,, stuff you could live without knowing haha

Oh, kross8... I'll have to say you get plenty of notice from this direction!

• Love
Reactions: Opinionated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread