Is it just me, or is The West falling behind?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SimianSteam

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 2, 2013
The Jungle
I know we've all seen the glut of new VV/VW devices coming out of China in the past couple of months. I look around the offerings that those of us in The West (Europe, US, etc) and I see the same PV's that have been out for more than a year... Don't get me wrong, I love my Provaris (all three of them!), and when I had a Darwin I was very impressed with it's functionality (but not the form factor). The problem is, they're getting kinda old.

So here's the question: Have the Chinese picked up the baton and run with it, leaving the boutique US and European manufacturers in the dust? From what I've seen there've been quite a few mechanical mods coming out of Europe, but nothing new in the VV/VW field (Ok, the svoemesto chip, but that's a Unicorn)

Where's the innovation? Provape, I'm really looking at you on this one. The Provari is a great device, but you can do better. Team up with eVolv and get a dna-20 powered Provari out to us! Notcigs, come out with SOMETHING new. Evolv, work with a manufacturer that can take your electronics and put them in an attractive tube for us (see Provape!).

We really need to pressure our favorite manufacturers to keep them moving forwards or we're soon going to find our PVs outmatched in technology (but probably never quality) by the glut of cheap Chinese devices.

Trick

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2012
Round Rock, Texas, United States
So here's the question: Have the Chinese picked up the baton and run with it, leaving the boutique US and European manufacturers in the dust?

I see no signs of that. Good, non-Chinese mods are still selling out fast. There's a market for both the quality mods, and the cheaper Chinese gear, and I've seen quite a few really good mods appear just in the couple months or so I've been vaping. Granted, they've been heavy on the side of mechanicals and hybrids, but that seems to be where most of the high-end market is.

Then again, I'll admit I'm awfully "meh" about the idea of another VV/VW battery tube, but I'm one of those guys who doesn't see a whole lot of value in the VW thing.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
The Chinese are getting closer in the manufacturing/quality of materials aspect of mod-making, but they still have a long way to go to even match the build quality or electronic precision and consistancy of a Provari. The Chinese add bells and whistles to make it look like they are offering more for less, but because of the durability issues and less than stellar electronic components, what good are those if the mod doesn't last you a year?

And the Chinese are copycats, not innovators. Their R & D is backwards technology. They get a hold of a product, tear it down to see how it looks, and figure out a way to duplicate it more inexpensively with cheaper parts and cheaper labor.

The above comments are an extremely broad generalization and entirely my opinion, but many more agree with this belief.

We have no idea what Provape is working on behind the scene. Historically they have not been the type of company that discloses what they are working on for the future. When a new product of theirs is launched, there is usually only a couple weeks notice provided beforehand.

People here know my stance on variable wattage. There's a place for that, but for the vast majority of vapors out there very few people need it. Again, my opinion. I know there are those out there that may have numerous delivery devices with different resistances. But it seems to me that most experienced vapors figure out what watts or ohms that they vape at on a consistant basis, and should be repeatedly buying the proper resistance delivery devices that will perform best in the range of voltage they use.

Even if using variable wattage, you still need to adjust it for best results with each individual flavor. There is no end to this debate.

Last edited:

SissySpike

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 1, 2012
San Diego CA
I think the Provari is just fine as it is. It dose everything you need and dose it well. Its no big deal to bump the voltage up or down when changing resistance.
I have to do the same on my VW mods so there's really not much difference.
They released some pictures of a new body style and every threw a fit!

my4jewels

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
May 12, 2011
Maine
The US modders are staying right with it. I vape only VV or VW, and almost all of the mods I own have been handcrafted here in the good old USA. I have no desire for mass produced mods, China or otherwise. I've always been like that, always want something unique, and my mod collection reflects that. Maybe because I am an artist at heart...my:2c:

Mac

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 5, 2009
All up in your grill..
I don't blame them. Why invest all that money into R&D when our douchey government is constantly threatening to put you out of business? Our labor costs price us straight out of the international market as well. Especially for a company like Provape who has a working business model. It's not like they can cut corners or rush it. That won't jive with their brand. So you are talking big money. Like as in "hey, you know all that profit you made on your years of hard work? Go on ahead and take that and double it to gamble on whether or not the government will be fair." Thank the FDA for this. I wouldn't take that bet either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread