Status
Not open for further replies.

Train2

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2013
CA, USA
A little bit, yes - but some sources/brands are more so than others...
It may also change with time, I'm not certain, but I know I got "peppery" nic from one place, and much "cleaner" nic from another.

Is nicotine inherently spicy, or does it become spicy because of degradation with time?

sonicbomb

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2015
1187 Hundertwasser
Not sure what you mean by spicy. Nicotine irritates the receptive mucus membranes in your throat and in your mouth depending on it's strength, along with PG giving you a 'throat hit'. People have described nicotine base gathering a peppery taste over time as it oxidizes.

Asmani

May 18, 2018
Iran
Not sure what you mean by spicy. Nicotine irritates the receptive mucus membranes in your throat and in your mouth depending on it's strength, along with PG giving you a 'throat hit'. People have described nicotine base gathering a peppery taste over time as it oxidizes.
So it's PG alone responsible for a throat hit? What kind of feeling is a throat hit, considering it's different from the nicotine's hit?

Reactions: stols001

mcclintock

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
  • Oct 28, 2014
    It gives the sensation of spice without the flavor.

An often overlooked source of throat hit is flavor, one reason I suggest getting into tobacco flavors as one reduces nicotine, rather than the other way around. But almost any flavor can give throat hit if strong enough. PG doesn't have much throat hit in itself, but carries throat hit from the flavoring much better. Upping the PG in a flavored juice will increase the throat hit and bitterness and it may seem like it's the PG itself, but frankly I find VG is more bitter by itself than PG.

stols001

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    May 30, 2017
    Not all nicotine is peppery or spicy starting out, it's true that some manufacturers come up with a harsher product than others (sometimes purposefully, since some people actually like that sensation.) It is also true that when nicotine oxidizes, it may become more harsh. There are not only flavors but also additives that can give a throat hit, as well as PG.

If you are anti throat hit there are also other alternatives, like nicotine salts which have been converted to a salt form by using malic, benzoic, or citric acid, and some folks do that at home, converting their nicotine by using citric acid .I think there is a thread on it somewhere. However, many DIY vendors will offer a nic salt version if that's something you are interested in, it's usually a bit more expensive than freebase, but most manufacturers will also send a free sample for the cost of shipping, so it might be a less expensive way to see if it's for you. There are also premade nic salt juices you can purchase, as well.

I used nic salts in the beginning because I was in such respiratory distress overall the LAST thing I wanted was a throat hit, and I like them. I can also tolerate freebase now.

I think there are now nic salts (at least some places) that are labelled "harsh" or "smooth" I can't say much about their differences as I haven't tried them.

Best of luck,

Anna

keelalagirl55

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Jan 25, 2011
    Last edited:
    Reactions: stols001
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread