Is this correct?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mommafish

ECF Veteran
Sep 1, 2012
okc
Ok we have protected batteries and if u let them fully discharge they wont hold a charge anymore right? A friend let his 18350&18650 go till they were dead then tried to charge them back up and nothing happened (I told him to charge when vape slowed down) well he works out in the oilfield for weeks at a time so cant get new batteries till next week so hes been bumming smokes from the guys I fell so bad for him
Am I on the right track about discharge or way off?
Please help!
Thanks

LucentShadow

ECF Veteran
Dec 28, 2011
Michigan, USA
I don't use protected batteries, so I don't know if any of them have over-discharging protection. Sounds like those probably didn't.

That said, no 3.7v lithium-ion batteries should be discharged below 3.1-3.2v, to be safe. Taking them below 2.7v or so can put them into a very unsafe condition, where they may catastrophically fail if a charge is attempted.

Gr8Scott

ECF Veteran
Sep 23, 2012
Ifaitoldzya, Umytszlapmi
The protected battery is designed to shut the current off when the battery falls below a certain level, usually around 3v. Once that happens it requires a charger that delivers current in such a fashion (very low rate initially) to reset the protection circuit. Hence "protected".

You really need a Nitecore Intellicharge i4 or i2 (which is what I have). Then it's no biggie when you trip the circuit.

There's another way to manually reset it, I will see if I can find a link to the method for ya and post back in a few. :)

SissySpike

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 1, 2012
San Diego CA
The protected battery is designed to shut the current off when the battery falls below a certain level, usually around 3v. Once that happens it requires a charger that delivers current in such a fashion (very low rate initially) to reset the protection circuit. Hence "protected".

You really need a Nitecore Intellicharge i4 or i2 (which is what I have). Then it's no biggie when you trip the circuit.

There's another way to manually reset it, I will see if I can find a link to the method for ya and post back in a few. :)
Lightly tap the two positive poles of a good battery to the bad one Shan B thought me that trick way back when we protected batteries were the norm.

jow350

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 1, 2013
Pennsylvania, USA
I found this on the candlepowerforums, folks have followed these procedures to resurrect their run-down protected batteries:
Disclaimer: I have not done any of these procedures myself, YMMV.

1. "Probably it overdischarged and the PC kicked in, not allowing it to be recharged. What I did last week and worked, was to get a 9 volt battery, touch the positives and negatives to the 18650 for 3 to 5 seconds. It should charge after that. Try and let me know if it works."

2. "To reset the protection you first need a fully charged (4.2 volt) cell ... With a paper clip or similar , connect the two bottoms (-) of the good cell and the bad cell together ... Then with another paper clip do the same with the two tops (+) of the cells for just a couple of seconds ... If the bad cell has reset OK you will be able to measure a voltage across it ... You should then be OK to charge it ... Unfortunately if the bad cell has been discharged at a low current , the protection might not have tripped and the cell might be over discharged ... It then needs to be disposed of properly."

Gr8Scott

ECF Veteran
Sep 23, 2012
Ifaitoldzya, Umytszlapmi
HA! Found it!

Stupid tune-up program took out some of my bookmarks so I hadda find it manually!(ARRRRGH!)

Anyway, here:

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?348301-Had-a-new-Keeppower-battery-die-while-using-it-Reads-0-volts-What-happened&p=4071379&viewfull=1#post4071379

So yeah as was said, remember Li-Ion cells are not the same as regular old batteries. They can and will blow up under the right (wrong) circumstances. Don't let 'em go below like 3.5v, most mods that aren't just mechanical cut off about there. What happens is that the battery won't necessarily blow up or melt down when it runs down in the mod, but when it goes back into the charger (if your charger isn't an intelligent charger) then it can go supernova, so to speak. That is precisely why there exists protected batteries, and protected circuits in mods.

So buy a good charger, like I said. With my Intellicharge I have charged batteries as low as....well let's just say dangerous low if they were on a cheapo charger.

But don't freak, you are using protected batteries, so at worst, they are wasted. But probably just PCB tripped.

Just buy an Intellicharger. I can vouch for their superiority and you can get 'em for 15 to 25 bucks.

And while I am doling out advice, don't ever buy batteries with a "fire" in their name. Stick to Panasonic,Sanyo and Sony in that progression of choice.

If you use a pure mechanical mod, get a "kick" or at least a vape-safe protection module. Both available for 15 bucks or less.

Good luck and vape on, but vape safe :D

:vapor:

P.S.

My 666th post

MUUUUUUU-HAAAAAA-HAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!

Haven't gone up in flames Thank God!!!

Last edited:

Gr8Scott

ECF Veteran
Sep 23, 2012
Ifaitoldzya, Umytszlapmi
Lightly tap the two positive poles of a good battery to the bad one Shan B thought me that trick way back when we protected batteries were the norm.

I found this on the candlepowerforums, folks have followed these procedures to resurrect their run-down protected batteries:
Disclaimer: I have not done any of these procedures myself, YMMV.

1. "Probably it overdischarged and the PC kicked in, not allowing it to be recharged. What I did last week and worked, was to get a 9 volt battery, touch the positives and negatives to the 18650 for 3 to 5 seconds. It should charge after that. Try and let me know if it works."

2. "To reset the protection you first need a fully charged (4.2 volt) cell ... With a paper clip or similar , connect the two bottoms (-) of the good cell and the bad cell together ... Then with another paper clip do the same with the two tops (+) of the cells for just a couple of seconds ... If the bad cell has reset OK you will be able to measure a voltage across it ... You should then be OK to charge it ... Unfortunately if the bad cell has been discharged at a low current , the protection might not have tripped and the cell might be over discharged ... It then needs to be disposed of properly."

Right on guys! You got it while I was floundering around looking :laugh:

Rickajho

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 23, 2011
Boston MA
Hey Momma

There's just way too much we don't know about this situation. Like it he is using a mech. mod or an APV. If it's a mechanical - yeah he could have drained the batteries so low that some charges won't do anything with them. APV's will shut down a device once the batteries get to 3.2 volts to prevent undervoltage from happening.

We also don't know what charger he has. Some are better - a lot better - than other's. I know xTar and Plia charges will try to recover a battery that has gone under voltage. If they don't find a fault condition, they will apply a very low current to the battery and try to bring it back up over 2.7 volts. If they can do that the charger will then start a regular charge cycle. Cheap (blank)Fire chargers aren't designed to do that.

To answer your question: Yes, running a Li-On battery under voltage or charging it to over voltage (above 4.2 volts) stresses the batteries. Doing either repeatedly can cause a catastrophic failure. Whenever in doubt about the condition of a battery - just replace it. Period.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread