iStick 20 blowing up all my heads, switch to MVP?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone,glad to have joined ecf and gotten into vaping. I came here to get some advice on a situation I'm experiencing. I have had an iStick 20w for a month with a nautilus Mini and an iClear30s. I typically use 50/50 or 60/40 pg/vg blends and only vape around 7-8 watts. I am burning through heads after two or three tanks in both my Nautilus and my Iclear. I have read that iStick doesn't use RMS and is way higher watts than the screen says. I can return my iStick and am considering doing so and getting an MVP instead (2.0 or 20W, as I have no need to get the crazy 3 yet). Would I have better head longevity and be just as happy with an MVP over my iStick?

Osirisrisen,
Welcome to ECF first off.
Question I have is the same exact thing happening on both tanks, or more on one than the other?

I'd say the iTaste30S with the 2.1 coils are lasting a bit longer (the 1.8 ones taste burnt on any setting). The Nautilus has gone through 4 heads already that start great and go bad quickly.

The ohm reading is accurate on the iStick so I don't think the 510 is messed up.

Completely Average

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 21, 2014
Suburbs of Dallas
The wattage shouldn't be any problem for the iCear 30S with the 2.1ohm coil. The 1.8ohm coils may give a burnt taste though. That would put you at 9.8 watts, which is a little higher than where my wife complains about hers tasting burnt on her SVD 2.0.

The Nautilus coils though are probably underpowered. You're probably gunking up the coils with goo from not vaping with enough power. Those generally work better at the 15+ watt range. I use my Nautilus at 19W all of the time, and the coils last me slightly over a month (6ml per day) if I stick with clear juices.

The wattage shouldn't be any problem for the iCear 30S with the 2.1ohm coil. The 1.8ohm coils may give a burnt taste though. That would put you at 9.8 watts, which is a little higher than where my wife complains about hers tasting burnt on her SVD 2.0.

The Nautilus coils though are probably underpowered. You're probably gunking up the coils with goo from not vaping with enough power. Those generally work better at the 15+ watt range. I use my Nautilus at 19W all of the time, and the coils last me slightly over a month (6ml per day) if I stick with clear juices.

Wow, really??? So there is really a chance of underpowering the mini and it leading to bad taste faster? Even with 50/50 mixes?

Completely Average

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 21, 2014
Suburbs of Dallas
Wow, really??? So there is really a chance of underpowering the mini and it leading to bad taste faster? Even with 50/50 mixes?

Bad taste, flooding, gurgling, spitting, and gunked up wicks. Basically you'll only be converting part of the juice to vapor and reducing part into a syrup like substance that stays in the wicks reducing the amount of juice that can reach the coil. When I first got mine I was trying to use it at the same 11W I used with my Aerotank and ended up with a raw throat from the coughing it caused.

Try turning the wattage up to 14-15 watts and see if it clears up after a few puffs. If it does, keep bumping up the wattage until it starts to taste bad again and then back it down 1-2W from there. The Nautilus coils really were designed for much higher wattages.

doofy666

Dec 31, 2014
Wales, UK
Not only does the istick 20 use mean as opposed to rms, it also does not "step down" - i.e it does not regulate below the charge of the battery. Assuming the istick is 4.2v fully charged, this means it will not regulate to any value under 4.2.

Go here and input 4.2v and a relevant ohm value to see what this means: Watts - volts - amps - ohms conversion calculator

So it is unlikely you are in fact vaping at 7-8 watts. I can't speak for the iclear, but the nautilus ought to be OK with wattages into the teens so maybe there is another factor at work here. Are you priming your coils before vaping? i.e taking unpowered drags, maybe even dropping a few drops of juice direct to the coils before vaping?

Quality control on nautilus coils is not clever, but you should be getting more than 2 or 3 tanks out of them.

Bad taste, flooding, gurgling, spitting, and gunked up wicks. Basically you'll only be converting part of the juice to vapor and reducing part into a syrup like substance that stays in the wicks reducing the amount of juice that can reach the coil. When I first got mine I was trying to use it at the same 11W I used with my Aerotank and ended up with a raw throat from the coughing it caused.

Try turning the wattage up to 14-15 watts and see if it clears up after a few puffs. If it does, keep bumping up the wattage until it starts to taste bad again and then back it down 1-2W from there. The Nautilus coils really were designed for much higher wattages.

I will give this a try with a new on. Thanks.

Not only does the istick 20 use mean as opposed to rms, it also does not "step down" - i.e it does not regulate below the charge of the battery. Assuming the istick is 4.2v fully charged, this means it will not regulate to any value under 4.2.

So it is unlikely you are in fact vaping at 7-8 watts. I can't speak for the iclear, but the nautilus ought to be OK with wattages into the teens so maybe there is another factor at work here. Are you priming your coils before vaping? i.e taking unpowered drags, maybe even dropping a few drops of juice direct to the coils before vaping?

Quality control on nautilus coils is not clever, but you should be getting more than 2 or 3 tanks out of them.

I do put few drops on the coil first, then let it sit in the tank for about five minutes. I take a few primer puffs till I see some bubbles come up from the holes. Usually the start of the tank is great and then after a second or third tank, taste goes downhill fast.

I can return the iStick....is the MVP just as good?

doofy666

Dec 31, 2014
Wales, UK
I do put few drops on the coil first, then let it sit in the tank for about five minutes. I take a few primer puffs till I see some bubbles come up from the holes. Usually the start of the tank is great and then after a second or third tank, taste goes downhill fast.

I can return the iStick....is the MVP just as good?

After the second or third tank taste goes downhill? I'd suggest taking the earlier advice from those more knowledgeable than me to up the watts, assuming you are underpowering the coil and therefore gunking it up.

Is the MVP as good? Well, it's a cleaner signal than the istick which means it's a flatter output line than the istick's jagged mess. But maybe the istick 30 would suit you better. The 30 does not have the problems of the 20.

Completely Average

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 21, 2014
Suburbs of Dallas
Also, I have a ton of iClear30S 1.8 coils that only taste burnt in my iStick. Would the MVP 2.0 or 20Watt better utilize these?

Yes, those would work better on the MVP 2.0 or similar device that can step down the voltage. My wife uses the Innokin SVD 2.0 and keeps hers right at the 8.5 watt (3.9V) setting.

Hi everyone, after careful consideration of all the great advice on here, I went to the vape store and saw they had reasonable prices on the MVP 20W and the iStick 30W. I decided to upgrade to the iStick 30W as it has everything I love about the iStick (better screen, Ohm reading, easier to adjust) and the better 510 pin and threads, and RMS.

Well, already been vaping it all night with my Nautilus Mini and the 30S....dramatic improvement. 8.5-9 watts is a real nice sweet spot and no overheating or burnt tastes. I think maybe my 20watt had more problems just beyond the typical issues, I may have been extra hot at all settings (as chain vaping would heat my iClear30s to a very hot, almost untouchable temp) The same treatment with the new iStick causes no such issue.

I can also say that the Seduce Juice Snake Venom, although a 50/50 blend seems to have something in it that gives a burnt taste to the BVC coils. Possibly sweetener or something else. Just something for anyone else out there to be aware of. Other juices are all vaping great!

The 30w iStick is a vast improvement over the 20W.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread