It almost seems as if the tide is actually turning!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tache

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 25, 2013
BC Canada

DrMA

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2013
Seattle area
That is a positive article, but don't be fooled this means anything has changed. vaping remains under attack on all fronts, and the other side currently has the upper hand.

We have the numerical advantage, but, if we can't figure out a way to capitalize on that, we'll lose the war. The recent FDA deeming exercise was a dismal failure in terms of mobilizing the troops. Out of an estimated 6 million US vapers, a paltry 40K could be bothered to comment; and that was an easy process that could be done in less than 1 minute, while sitting on the couch in your favorite jammies. How many do you think would show up in front of FDA in DC if it ever becomes necessary to bring our voice to the streets?

I know this article is about Canada, but, what happens in the US with the FDA regs, will have immediate repercussions North of the border as well.

dragonpuff

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
That is a positive article, but don't be fooled this means anything has changed. Vaping remains under attack on all fronts, and the other side currently has the upper hand.

We have the numerical advantage, but, if we can't figure out a way to capitalize on that, we'll lose the war. The recent FDA deeming exercise was a dismal failure in terms of mobilizing the troops. Out of an estimated 6 million US vapers, a paltry 40K could be bothered to comment; and that was an easy process that could be done in less than 1 minute, while sitting on the couch in your favorite jammies. How many do you think would show up in front of FDA in DC if it ever becomes necessary to bring our voice to the streets?

I know this article is about Canada, but, what happens in the US with the FDA regs, will have immediate repercussions North of the border as well.

I agree. With regard to public sentiment, we are still on the losing end. For every wonderful article like this one I see, there are at least 10 more bashing them, citing flawed studies and quoting the CDC or FDA. Unfortunately, almost all the articles I see from popular, well-known media are very anti-vaping. We are still fighting an uphill battle with popular opinion, and we will continue to do so unless and until trusted government bodies cede their position. As long as our governments keep trying to crack down on e-cigs, the majority of non-vapers will believe they must have good reason to do so. That is the unfortunate truth.

Tache

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 25, 2013
BC Canada
Unfortunately, almost all the articles I see from popular, well-known media are very anti-vaping.

Yes, this why I used such tentative language ("almost seems").

This is why Health Canada has basically done nothing yet - they're waiting to see what the FDA does first. It's also the reason I submitted a comment on the deeming regs.

skoony

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 31, 2013
saint paul,mn,usa
That is a positive article, but don't be fooled this means anything has changed. Vaping remains under attack on all fronts, and the other side currently has the upper hand.

40,000 out of 6,000,000 is one out of every 150. its sounds low but in fact i believe it's quite good when compared to similar calls for comments.

considering all the people i know who complain about everything and never once have contacted their elected officials in any way because they do not believe it will do any good we have i think at least broke the credibility threshold.

if the regs come down unduly harsh there will be an increased awareness. when the vendors tell their customers they had better stock up,that will be the wake up call.

i don't begrudge the vendors from not being more active as i believe they are trying to avoid entanglements with their local liberal governments and their ANTZ friends.
its hard to run a business when the local ordinances make your shop illegal.
:2c:
regards
mike

Last edited:

dragonpuff

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
40,000 out of 6,000,000 is one out of every 150. its sounds low but in fact i believe it's quite good when compared to similar calls for comments.

considering all the people i know who complain about everything and never once have contacted their elected officials in any way because they do not believe it will do any good we have i think at least broke the credibility threshold.

Excellent point :thumb:

DrMA

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2013
Seattle area

if the regs come down unduly harsh there will be an increased awareness. when the vendors tell their customers they had better stock up,that will be the wake up call.

i don't begrudge the vendors from not being more active as i believe they are trying to avoid entanglements with their local liberal governments and their ANTZ friends.
its hard to run a business when the local ordinances make your shop illegal.
:2c:
regards
mike

In the US, about 40% of eligible voters tend to express their right to vote in general elections. If commenting on the deeming could be viewed as an opportunity to vote on a life and death issue for 6MM American vapers, the turnout of 0.6% is nothing to be proud of. However, I view all 42MM US smokers as eligible voters here, so really less than 1/10 of 1% actually expressed their views. That's the big missed opportunity...

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
It is a real shame that ecig users didn't take advantage of the chance to voice their own support for the ecig industry when given the chance.
I think the vast majority of vapers didn't really know, understand, or share our concerns with the deeming regulations.
And some day in the near future we will hopefully learn that we actually had nothing to fear.

But if it turns out the way most experts feel it will turn out, then maybe FINALLY we will have the uprising that I have been expecting.
It would have been nice to stop things before they went south, but it may be that we will have to do things the other way around.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread