It is not PG causing the Sores

Status
Not open for further replies.

gamedemon

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 3, 2010
Illinois
I always thought that PG cause the sores on my tongue... The reason was some of the PG I bought caused it, while VG did not. Then I realized that Halo was PG. Yet I get absolutely no sores from it. I also noticed that some VG liquid, depedning on flavoring causes the sores as well.

So it lead me to the conclusion it is either not the PG, or the quality of the PG varies, and the one in Halo is a different quality that does not cause sores... Anyone else notice that ?

Also forgot to say that Tasty Vapor, while also PG based, did not cause the sores...

gamedemon

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 3, 2010
Illinois
So I have been thinking A LOT about this.. and realized that the Juices that do not cause soreness for me are mostly the clear juices. Halo, several menthols from several vendors and ecopure. Then I started wondering. What is the color of nicotine ? the reason I ask is because I bought some 48mg unflavored, and it was brown in color. Yet halo, ecopure and a lot of the menthols I buy (not all) are clear.
So.... where can I get the clear nicotine from. Is it synthetic versus natural nicotine...
How can some vendors have juice that is clear versus others ? Do vendors say whether their juice is clear or not ?

AlexTM

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 7, 2009
Cologne, Germany
www.dampfzeichen.de
Synthetic nicotine exists, but is extremely expensive, so what you get will always be natural nicotine. Question is, though, how well filtered/cleaned is it?

I'd start to DIY liquid. That way, even if you get a flavour that is not good for you, you probably spent less on it. And you have some more control over the ingredients. Flavourart nicotine juice, for example, is crystal clear, while some other no-flavour nic-juices are not. Your PG and VG will be USP grade if you buy them USP, which you also can't rely on that flavoured liquids, etc.
Check out http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/diy-e-liquid/74109-guide-diy-flavoring.html and have a look as to whether this might be an alternative for you.

pmd

ECF Veteran
Aug 14, 2009
Boston,MA
When I first started vaping I was experiencing little toungue sores and thought it was the PG. But it seemed isolated to one flavor, cinnamon.
After a little research, I found something that pointed to cinnamon flavoring that might cause this. No other flavor seemed to cause this, for me anyway, so I just don't vape that, problem solved.

Rocketman

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 3, 2009
SouthEastern Louisiana
Nicotine is photosensitive and will gradually turn brown when exposed to light or air.
It's sort of like magnetizing a piece of steel. Still steel, just magnetic.
Supposedly does not change the chemistry.
But dark nicotine has probably been exposed to a little more heat and light than light nicotine. I wonder if light nicotine is less filling?

Flavorings, the 3000 or so chemicals put in your e-juice (just kidding only about 30) may be causing your problems.

Rocket

KuiHiggins

ECF Veteran
Mar 10, 2010
Honolulu, HI
I've been using liquid which is mostly pg if not all pg and I haven't had any problems other then a dry throat sometimes. A sip of water and I'm right back in the game. I was thinking of trying out some vg juice for the better vapor production but after reading about some of the negative feedback in this thread I think I'll just get some small samples before I make a bigger purchase.

whiskey

Moved On
Jan 13, 2010
When I first started vaping I was experiencing little toungue sores and thought it was the PG. But it seemed isolated to one flavor, cinnamon.
After a little research, I found something that pointed to cinnamon flavoring that might cause this. No other flavor seemed to cause this, for me anyway, so I just don't vape that, problem solved.

I've Noticed That Most Posts Here Start With...When I STARTED Vaping....Maybe Its The Mouth Tissues Getting Used To New Chemicals??No???

D133

ECF Veteran
Oct 25, 2009
UK
PG definitely caused congested sinuses with me, whereas VG doesn't.
However, both PG and VG flavoured juices cause the sores (mouth ulcers).

The best I have found so far is EcoPure, but even that can cause sores if I chain vape for hours and don't drink water. I just need to drink water, I must be susceptible to ulcers.

It could be a combination of the mouth/tongue drying out (and small fissures getting infected) plus concentrated liquid making it through the mouthpiece and settling on the tongue (or inside of the lower lip - another hot spot) burning the surface and again allowing infection to take hold. The flavouring could play a part too, I noticed certain liquids were worse than others regarding sores - despite similar nic levels.

Drinking (or just sipping occasionally) on water definitely reduces the number/severity of sores.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread