The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Itaste VTR just quit working.

Discussion in 'VV/VW APV Discussion' started by mn shutterbug, Jun 5, 2016.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. mn shutterbug

mn shutterbug Super Member ECF Veteran

Jan 19, 2010
    Marshall, MN - USA
    I've had this device for about 6 months and rarely use it except when on the road. I was driving yesterday and it just quit working. I was surprised since I never saw the green light change to orange or red. When I got home last night I put that battery and another one that needed charging, on the charger overnight. I tried both batteries this morning and the light doesn't even blink when I close the battery door. As expensive as this bugger is, I'd expect it to last much longer than this. These are the correct batteries for this device and the device has never been dropped.

2. mn shutterbug

Jan 19, 2010
    Marshall, MN - USA
    Update: It has something to do with the battery latch. If I let it barely touch the battery it will come on. As soon as I put just a bit of pressure on it, not even close to enough to close the hatch, it seems to lose connection. It's the opposite of what I'd expect. I did clean the contact on the battery hatch, but that didn't seem to help. After playing with it awhile, I did manage to get it to come on after the hatch is closed but I know it's nothing I can rely on. Anybody else have a similar problem?

3. deltas4
    This message by deltas4 has been removed from public view. Deleted by a moderator, Jul 12, 2016, Reason: Unsafe and definitely not advisable..
    Jun 6, 2016
  4. mn shutterbug
    This message by mn shutterbug has been removed from public view. Deleted by a moderator, Jul 12, 2016, Reason: Cleaning up. Not advisable.
    Jun 6, 2016
  5. mn shutterbug

Jan 19, 2010
    Marshall, MN - USA
    I emailed the manufacturer and here was their reply -

Since the battery cathode material is made of copper, it will not attract the magnetic spacer.

Also, the battery door is made of zine alloy, it will not attract the magnetic spacer, either

If the battery door was barely touching the battery, the device can be turned on, maybe you could use adhesive tape to fasten the battery and divide the battery door.

This makes no sense to me.

6. Dougiestyle

Dougiestyle Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Feb 5, 2011
    Knoxville, TN USA
    There is a spring in the positive contact. The positive contact is soldered to a wire. The wire can and does moves slightly. If the wire became frayed or separated, then that could cause your issue. Any regulated mod has the potential to fail due to the current following a path through a circuit. I would not be surprised if you have had another piece of electronic equipment fail at some point due to circuit failure. It happens. It's sad.

I'd dissect it to examine all the contacts and figure out where the failure is and fix it, but that's just me. I do things like that for fun.

BTW, my stepson has the VTR since 2014 and it's still working afaik.

7. Davey59

Davey59 Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jul 29, 2014
    Monroe WA
    My flat top batteries became dimpled on the pos side and no longer work in my VTR. New batts, no problem. If you have flats try nipples. (edit: not add nipple, factory made)

I hope your fix is as easy.

8. retired1

retired1 Administrator Admin Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Apr 5, 2013
    Texas
    The use of magnetic spacers or any spacer to be used as a means to make contact with your batteries is definitely not advisable. Just get new batteries.

9. mn shutterbug

Jan 19, 2010
    Marshall, MN - USA
    Thanks everyone for your replies. My batteries are the flat ended ones but one of them is practically new having been recharged maybe twice. The weird thing is, they make good connection when the battery door causes light contact but when it shuts all the way and makes more solid contact is when it seems to lose connection. Makes no sense. I have found that once I eventually get it to stay working, as long as I lay it on it's side and am careful how I pick it up, it remains working. Maybe trying a different style battery would cure it. Anyone know what brand would be nippled?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.