J118 (aka VX2 or L88B) Initial Review

Status
Not open for further replies.

wegster

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
  • May 10, 2009
    NC
    So, the postman's been busy lately, dropping off goodies. A J118 showed up on the doorstep today in the PCC kit, with some spares. Was originally looking to get one from litecigusa, but - out of stock, and no PCC, so ordered from esmokeronline.com and had it to me in two days, can't get any faster than that!

The video review is coming (uploading now), but...the short version.
    If you buy the PCC kit, it only comes with one battery, one atty, and.....the PCC case isn't mini USB, nor does it come with a USB battery charger - buy at least one of each.

The carts hold just slightly more than a 510 cart from a blank cart. .5ml for the 510, and ~ .55ml for the J118.

Battery life is ok, ~2.5-3 hours of heavy vaping, versus 1.5-2 hours for the 510 batteries for me. Vapor production is good, but not amazing so far. Throat hit, even with the same fluid between the 510 and the J118...goes to the 510.

Thankfully, unlike some of the 401 attys I've received, the J118 atomizers were *not* 'slimed' with primer..a few hits off a new atty and you're getting juice.

Will revisit in a week with a followup, as yes, it's a brand new atty, haven't tried each of them, it's entirely possible one's a dud (but a quick sawp and 30 min smoke on the next showed no difference). It was vaping reasonably well all day, and I don't drip.

Right now, between J118, 510, KR:
    Throat hit:
    1st prize: 510.
    2nd prize: KR with a *good* cart (or GC, then 1st/second might swap or tie).
    3rd prize: J118
    Runner up: M401

Vapor:
    1st Prize: 510
    2nd Prize: KR with good cart or GC, and...tied with J118.
    3rd Prize: M401

Really, the KR beats it, but the J118 is sort of well, easy draw and when vaping well, has done pretty well, 'easily.'

Draw: (assuming easy is good)
    1st Prize: J118
    2nd: M401
    3rd: 510
    4th: KR

Sound: (quietest wins):
    1st: J118. I can, and did, vape on this while on a conference call today. Can't do it with the 510 (gurgle, gurgle), the KR (whistle), or the M401(little kid playing with a straw)
    2nd: KR
    3rd: tie, 510 and 401. Sometimes the 510 is reasonably quiet, while the M401 always sounds like a little kid with a straw.

Cart Life:
    Too soon to tell, the J118 seemed comparable or maybe a bit longer than the 510, certainly longer than the 401 before favor/vapor fade...just too soon to tell.

Battery life: (initial, batteries have *not* gone through multiple long charge cycles yet)
    1st: tie, KR, long, 2 hole and J118. 3-4 hours heavy vaping.
    2nd: M401. The little e-cig that could. 2-3 hours.
    Last place: 510. Must feed the energy pig to get the good vape. 1.5-2 hours.

Best PCC quality:
    Sturdiness: G300. Is beautiful and metal, magnetic latch. Runner-up: 510. is functional and metal, but goofy hinge.. Last: J118. May change..it's plastic, but I really like the size of it. The hinge looks to be the weak point.

PCC Function:
    Tough call. The G300 case (which *may* work with shorty KR batteries, does hold KR carts) holds 3 carts, which include attys, plus 1 battery.
    The 510 case holds 1 battery, one assembled cart + atty, and 2 carts.
    The J118 holds 4 carts, 1 atty (but not with mouthpiece attached), 1 battery charging, then either a spare battery or cart + mouthpiece. While the J118 is plastic, it's the winner - gives flexibility, is good sized (very close to cig pack), and most slots.

edit - spent an hour swapping carts and batteries, got the J118 working *better* at least.

First part of second video is *after* messing around with the J118, multiple fluids/carts/attys, second half of part 2 is of interest to 510 owners, with a KR thrown into the mix.

Video(s) uploading now.

Part 1 of 2:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFjrCGUMCNg

And..part 2, with visits by the 510 and KR:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLcPKjrwGoE

Last edited:

wegster

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
  • May 10, 2009
    NC
    Use that atomizer for a couple days and you'll change your mind about vapor production and throat hit.

It's one of my pet peeves with video reviews. Nobody seems to break the device in before they start making comparisons and drawing conclusions.

But yes Wegster, I know you will do a followup....

Yep to both of them.

Personally, I'd prefer an 'out of box' and a followup, but I think the worst is 'I bought something, therefore it's great.' It makes it hard to sort through reality versus not.

Video 2 has it vaping a bit better, but YT is doing maintenance at the moment.

RsL

ECF Veteran
    Apr 18, 2009
    Minneapolis
    Yep to both of them.

Personally, I'd prefer an 'out of box' and a followup, but I think the worst is 'I bought something, therefore it's great.' It makes it hard to sort through reality versus not.

Video 2 has it vaping a bit better, but YT is doing maintenance at the moment.

Don't get me wrong Wegster. I give people like you credit for taking the time to do these reviews, make forum posts, and just generally analyze these things inside and out. It's beneficial for the newbies as well as those of us who have been vaping a while. I appreciate it and I know many other people do as well !

I also have liked Figurehead's reviews. Informative and sometimes, for whatever strange reason, quite funny to watch !! haahaa

Last edited:

wegster

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
  • May 10, 2009
    NC
    No worries. I used to be on the 'receiving end' of forum reviews, as a business owner and manufacturer. Really, all anyone can do is take *anyones* review with a grain of salt, and do some of their own homework - does a reviewer have the same criteria as you? If not, well...do they seem consistent across reviews? Is it possible they got a bad unit? etc etc etc...a single review shouldn't make or break your purchasing decision, without seeing more, and weighing the information available to you.

dpixel8

ECF Veteran
    May 31, 2009
    WI
    No worries. I used to be on the 'receiving end' of forum reviews, as a business owner and manufacturer. Really, all anyone can do is take *anyones* review with a grain of salt, and do some of their own homework - does a reviewer have the same criteria as you? If not, well...do they seem consistent across reviews? Is it possible they got a bad unit? etc etc etc...a single review shouldn't make or break your purchasing decision, without seeing more, and weighing the information available to you.

Some people don't have the $$$ to throw into testing multiple products to find the best, and greatly appreciate you and others' reviews, as well as the advice I have received from members like RsL. Some of us have too many other expensive hobbies, and want to just find the best bang for our buck to get off analog sticks :oops:

Hangar

ECF Veteran
    Mar 27, 2009
    Some people don't have the $$$ to throw into testing multiple products to find the best, and greatly appreciate you and others' reviews, as well as the advice I have received from members like RsL. Some of us have too many other expensive hobbies, and want to just find the best bang for our buck to get off analog sticks :oops:

absolutely...all opinions regarding these devices and different peoples experiences with them are all greatly appreciated. Thats what these forums are all about afterall...the more the better i say!

wegster

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
  • May 10, 2009
    NC

Thankfully, this is a relatively inexpensive hobby. Still adds up, but it's far less than the custom turbochargers I used to eat through! :D

And people like RsL, Leaford, igetcha, Parked, Tropical Bob, and the awesome mods and juice forums and others give us all *endless* amounts of reading and viewing, before I bought my first e-cigs..so hopefully some of the reviews will be of use to someone.

I'm sure the 'best' is what others have said - a device that looks nothing like an alalog - screwdriver, ZiMoshi(sp?), Prodigy, whatever...but in the meanwhile, not all of us *want* to feel like we're tugging on a crack pipe :D

needvapor

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    May 1, 2009
    Treasure Coast Florida =)
    Wegster...
    did you put a 510 manual battery on the j118/vx2?? I have one on the way and cannot wait for the manual to come out for this.. perhaps then it really will be a 510 killer?
    I LOVE my 510 but with manual.. cant wait to see what it does with a manual battery I think where you get juice also matters. Do the VX2 have different manufacture's?
    a tad off topic here gents, but i just topped off my Nebula cart with some new PEG based liquid i received today from Nuvape and... holy cow, im getting sooo much vapor from this ecig now that when i look around me it looks like ive been smokin a big fat cigar in here all nite, lol! cool, hehe.
    I just got my shippment in from Nu vape also and yes I can relate HOLY COW, the throat hit also!!! I ordered high and so far have tried the vanilla and coke and mixed in one ecig.. the lemon doesnt give as much of throat hit but I LOVE the taste! Going back for more this weekend if funds are available.. well worth it!!!

RsL

ECF Veteran
    Apr 18, 2009
    Minneapolis
    Wegster,

Have you tried another atomizer on your VX2? I just watched your video review and from what I see you are not getting the vapor you should be getting, even with a brand new atomizer. I'm vaping on my VX2 right now and getting 510 like vapor out of it. I'm using 18mg juice. Damn it...am I going to have to hook up my video cam and put up a review myself? I'm in the Witness Protection program and I'm trying to avoid doing that! :cool:

wegster

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
  • May 10, 2009
    NC
    Wegster...
    did you put a 510 manual battery on the j118/vx2?? I have one on the way and cannot wait for the manual to come out for this.. perhaps then it really will be a 510 killer?
    I LOVE my 510 but with manual.. cant wait to see what it does with a manual battery I think where you get juice also matters. Do the VX2 have different manufacture's?

The interchange only works as follows without modifications:
    The 510 atty and cart will go onto the J118 battery.
    The J118 atty will *not* work with the 510 batteries (may be moddable, slight sanding down of 'ridge' past threads on atty, but... :-/ )
    A j118 mouthpiece (without cart) will fit inside the end of a 510 moutpiece, if you remove the disk in the end of the 510 mouthpiece. It's a tight fit.
    A j118 cart *will* work with a 510 atty, but be careful, you do have to push in past the 'first ridge' slightly on the atty to cart mating. Do at your own risk.

I believe the J118 is essentially a slightly modified 510 clone, single manufacturer, but may be wrong.

wegster

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
  • May 10, 2009
    NC
    Wegster,

Have you tried another atomizer on your VX2? I just watched your video review and from what I see you are not getting the vapor you should be getting, even with a brand new atomizer. I'm vaping on my VX2 right now and getting 510 like vapor out of it. I'm using 18mg juice. Damn it...am I going to have to hook up my video cam and put up a review myself? I'm in the Witness Protection program and I'm trying to avoid doing that! :cool:

:lol: believe me, I know the feeling, I'm not thrilled about posting videos, just something about 'nutcases online with too much info about you,' or something...but, too late now.

Yes, I'm constantly suspecting the attys here. I did bring the J118 in to the office today, and vaping on it on and off, but the 510 is nice clouds, and desne..the J118 all I've really managed is well, 'thin and wispy'. Will trya pair of different attys on the J118 tomorrow. Right now have a J118 cart and mouthpiece on my 510 atty...

wegster

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
  • May 10, 2009
    NC
    Wegster,

Ok, you win a prize. I got kinda ...... off after coming back from the office, and vaping on the JX all day. I went through a pair of attys yesterday..vaped ok for a little bit, but just not anything comparable to the 510, as you saw..so swapped the attys out after the first video review I did, and it got a little better. All day today it still felt like 'thin vapor, and not much.' I had 3 attys in total. Dumped all 3 through the 'easy clean cycle,' in this case, the one atty with the most use, a quick H202 burn-off, then all 3 rinsed in Hyd Peroxide, agigated, rinsed in alcohol, distilled water, blow out, drain.

I won't say it's a '510 killer,' because it's not, for me...but it's much better. Vapor is finally decent. Throat hit is still king with the 510 between the two, getting relatively low throat hit, while I can use the mouthpiece and cart on a 510 atty, even with the J118 battery if desired, and am getting better throat hit. It does vape fairly well, with a very easy draw (too much so for me slightly), so my opinion/initial impression is being revised a bit.

Will let the other pair of attys drain out a bit more overnight, and give it a few days. Vapor much improved, but..not the same as my 510s. To be continued.. :)

How are you finding throat hit between the J118 and the 510? If the 510 is an 8, I'd have to say right now, even while vaping much better, the J118 is a 4-5. (but closer on vapor)

denec

ECF Veteran
    May 4, 2009
    NYC
    I am going to agree with wegster, I been vaping for 2 days now with the VX2.

I did at least 200 puffs by now maybe more i lost count..on one atomizer it has to be broken in by now no?

I do get lots of vapor..no doubt about it...but throat hit? it still nowhere compared to a 510, I get some, but it just not as good.

Truth is if I never ever bought a 510 I would think this is superb in all ways...but now that I get spoiled by a 510 I miss that the throat hit

It still beats the 510 in battery length, and cartridge life

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread