Status
Not open for further replies.

niczgreat

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 5, 2009
Chino California
Couldn't resist it. Picked up one. Mainly because of the 7ml tank and I was intrigued by the coil. Couldn't find in the U.S so bought from Vapesourcing and with a 10% coupon it came to $26.50. I chose them because they ship by air and had a 7-14 day delivery time, which is the quickest method from China. They charged $5.00 for the shipping but the coupon balanced 1/2 of that. I like a cool vape so I'm thinking that I'll like the magic. Also like that I can change the cotton very often.

Only thing I don't like is that it's made of Zinc Alloy and heavy.

I have the Dolphin and like that it's made of plastic and quite light. Drawback is that it's bulky.

stratus.vaping

ECF Veteran
Sep 11, 2018
UK & much further East.
I'm intrigued. All the reviews say it's heavy but I can't find the weight anywhere. How much does it weigh?

Also, I see that the kit comes with a generous supply but eventually they'll be used up. Do the replacement pods have additional cotton squares or do you have to buy cotton and cut it to size?

Thanks.

108g unfilled. The battery is 1300mAh so that's a bit of weight. Cotton pads, yes plenty are supplied , but I gave up using them as I found cutting my own from Muji pad and using half the recommended thickness worked well for me. There's several reviews on ECF by the way.

Poeia

Bird Brain
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 6, 2009
NYC
108g unfilled. The battery is 1300mAh so that's a bit of weight. Cotton pads, yes plenty are supplied , but I gave up using them as I found cutting my own from Muji pad and using half the recommended thickness worked well for me. There's several reviews on ECF by the way.
Thanks. I've read a lot of the reviews (& watched a few videos). I'm pretty sure I'm getting one. I love the battery life (started vaping in the days of <300mAh so most pods seem like a step back.)

Weight is a crucial factor for me. I have a wonky muscle in the back of my hand. Heavy mods cause me pain. An iStick 60W, which weighs 142g without a tank is great for half an hour followed by a sore hand for the next 24. But I'm fine with 92g plus the tank so 108g for the Magic should be good. (I'm also not considering the Penguin because the girth would probably trigger the same problem.)

Only 2-3 companies include the weight in the specs on their websites and, unfortunately, Joyetech isn't one of them. (I've visited dozens of vendors to see if they had added it with no luck.)

The cotton question was an afterthought that I added while I was typing.

Thanks again for the info.

stratus.vaping

ECF Veteran
Sep 11, 2018
UK & much further East.
It's a very good pod-thing. Would recommend you get a spare pod too. The tiny NC-Film heaters are available very cheaply though I haven't needed to replace in months of near everyday use.

Now it's been in use for a while and the pad has been replaced many times I am getting a tiny bit of liquid weeping from the pod bottom, I wouldn't say it was a leak, it's just the odd spot.

Do let us know how you get on.

Poeia

Bird Brain
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 6, 2009
NYC
It's a very good pod-thing. Would recommend you get a spare pod too. The tiny NC-Film heaters are available very cheaply though I haven't needed to replace in months of near everyday use.

Now it's been in use for a while and the pad has been replaced many times I am getting a tiny bit of liquid weeping from the pod bottom, I wouldn't say it was a leak, it's just the odd spot.

Do let us know how you get on.
Thanks. I just went back to Joyetech's site. They also don't have downloadable manuals so I couldn't get info that way. (I worked in research for 25 years -- I have spreadsheets on everything.)

I'll definitely get extra pods. I have an all day vape but have several I like for short periods each day. So having labels on the pods is another plus.

stratus.vaping

ECF Veteran
Sep 11, 2018
UK & much further East.
Thanks. I just went back to Joyetech's site. They also don't have downloadable manuals so I couldn't get info that way. (I worked in research for 25 years -- I have spreadsheets on everything.)

I'll definitely get extra pods. I have an all day vape but have several I like for short periods each day. So having labels on the pods is another plus.

Manual - download - Joyetech

Poeia

Bird Brain
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 6, 2009
NYC
I got it. It's charged. The cotton is wet & the pod is full. And I'm getting no vapor. Could this be because I vape high-PG liquid (50-60%)? Do I need a certain amount of VG to make it thick enough?

Re the manual, thanks for the link. I was looking at joyetech . com/us Once you add the "us", no downloads available. ;)

Got it working. It turns out I had the pod in back-to-front (I can't find anything about that in the manual but the label on the pod faces the light on the back.) Very good flavor. I like very cool vapor and this is a bit warmer than I'm used to but I think I'm going to like it.

In terms of weight, the reason I came here to get info, it's pretty good. It's about 10g heavier than ideal for my hand but it's small enough that I can shift my grip often so activating my wonky muscle shouldn't be a problem.

Thanks for the help.

Last edited:

stratus.vaping

ECF Veteran
Sep 11, 2018
UK & much further East.
I got it. It's charged. The cotton is wet & the pod is full. And I'm getting no vapor. Could this be because I vape high-PG liquid (50-60%)? Do I need a certain amount of VG to make it thick enough?

Re the manual, thanks for the link. I was looking at joyetech . com/us Once you add the "us", no downloads available. ;)

Got it working. It turns out I had the pod in back-to-front (I can't find anything about that in the manual but the label on the pod faces the light on the back.) Very good flavor. I like very cool vapor and this is a bit warmer than I'm used to but I think I'm going to like it.

In terms of weight, the reason I came here to get info, it's pretty good. It's about 10g heavier than ideal for my hand but it's small enough that I can shift my grip often so activating my wonky muscle shouldn't be a problem.

Thanks for the help.

You're welcome.

My pods work either way round 8) Is your cotton pad too thick so that the clip down main cover on the pod is lifted up slightly? That could result in a poor battery connection.

Poeia

Bird Brain
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 6, 2009
NYC
You're welcome.

My pods work either way round 8) Is your cotton pad too thick so that the clip down main cover on the pod is lifted up slightly? That could result in a poor battery connection.
I think it's the battery connection. The factory-installed cotton is still in there so I don't think the thickness is the problem. I only have one pod right now so I can't test it but I've also found that periodically I have to pull the pod up an inch and put it back down for it to work. It especially happens after charging and after I first turn it on. When the additional pods arrive I'll be able to figure out if it's the device or the pod. Either way, it's a relatively minor inconvenience.

Once I do my 1st cotton change, I'll be able decide if I want to buy more. If so, I need them to make more colors. I can't buy the black one -- I'll lose it the first day. (I could lose the black one on my desktop a minute after I set it down.)

One of my problems w pod systems (for the whole 2 weeks I've been trying them) has been the size of the fill holes. My liquids come in glass bottles w eye droppers which don't fit well. But I just discovered some unused Luer Lok syringes & needles I bought for vaping in 2010 (I don't remember why). I'll be trying one on my next refill.

I haven't had shinyitis for about 5 years. I thought I'd built up immunity but a relapse every few years is fun. Thanks again for your advice & help.

Last edited:
Did a review on this device recently, in all honesty it wasn't what I expected. I noticed that you don't get much flavor from this device. It's too bad, because i was looking forward to not having to buy pods. Although I do hope others can learn from this and make a better version. It was almost there.

Reactions: Poeia

Poeia

Bird Brain
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 6, 2009
NYC
After a couple of weeks --
The 1st pod still only works in one direction & regularly needs to be tapped on top to ensure the connection (not a deal-breaker). I started a second one that is quite a bit snugger (is that a word?) and it's fine. I've seen that some pod systems have magnets that pull the pod into place & keep it there. I think the Magic would benefit from that.

I don't like the flooding & spitting but it only happens when you start a new piece of cotton. Blow it out through the vent hole & it's fine until the next cotton change.

I vape 60%PG liquid w 3mg nicotine (not salts) so my needs are probably different that that of most of the target audience but for me this is a really good cross between an AIO & a pod. I love the 7ml pod. I was worried that the liquid would get nasty like it does in even 4ml tanks but it's fine. Maybe it's the lack of a coil. The 1300mAh battery doesn't last a whole day for me (chain-vapor) but it's infinitely better than what we had in 2009 when I started vaping.

I'm going to pick up a silver one later this week & I need 2 or 3 more colors. Purple would be my first choice but red, copper/gold and/or green would all be nice.

Poeia

Bird Brain
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 6, 2009
NYC
I'll add one more problem. It apparently has heat control that is much, much too sensitive. You can't change the wattage or voltage or resistance so the battery should be able to handle the non-adjustable heat it produces. But I get a maximum of 2 puffs before I have to hit the button 5 times to turn it on again. Except that sometimes the reason I get nothing is that the pod has slipped out again so I have to push it in. Then turn on the battery.

But the things I love about this are really great -- the flavor, the draw, the lack of scorched liquid and the no coil design. If Joyetech comes out with a new version that fixes the battery & the battery/pod connection (without making it much heavier), I'll be the 1st in line to buy them.

stratus.vaping

ECF Veteran
Sep 11, 2018
UK & much further East.
I'll add one more problem. It apparently has heat control that is much, much too sensitive. You can't change the wattage or voltage or resistance so the battery should be able to handle the non-adjustable heat it produces. But I get a maximum of 2 puffs before I have to hit the button 5 times to turn it on again. Except that sometimes the reason I get nothing is that the pod has slipped out again so I have to push it in. Then turn on the battery.

But the things I love about this are really great -- the flavor, the draw, the lack of scorched liquid and the no coil design. If Joyetech comes out with a new version that fixes the battery & the battery/pod connection (without making it much heavier), I'll be the 1st in line to buy them.

Something must be wrong, I use mine extensively and I have never had that turn off problem. Usual checks done? Liquid/dirt on contacts on pod and battery, fully charged?

I have two pods ( one is a very early test sample, is a bit cranky and leaks a bit) and one that is a month old bought in UK that works perfectly, neither of them are loose. I suspect your turning off issue is related to your loose pod if all is clean and dry, has the pod cavity become warped, bent somehow?? Is the pod damaged, worn?

The pods are not very expensive seeing how long they last = a long time! Perhaps get another and see if that sorts it.,, EDIT just read back and see you have 2 pods- so looseness must be a problem with the battery part.

Poeia

Bird Brain
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 6, 2009
NYC
Something must be wrong, I use mine extensively and I have never had that turn off problem. Usual checks done? Liquid/dirt on contacts on pod and battery, fully charged?

I have two pods ( one is a very early test sample, is a bit cranky and leaks a bit) and one that is a month old bought in UK that works perfectly, neither of them are loose. I suspect your turning off issue is related to your loose pod if all is clean and dry, has the pod cavity become warped, bent somehow?? Is the pod damaged, worn?

The pods are not very expensive seeing how long they last = a long time! Perhaps get another and see if that sorts it.,, EDIT just read back and see you have 2 pods- so looseness must be a problem with the battery part.
On the blue Magic (my 1st), the battery arms are definitely loose-ish. The pod that came with it is the one that only works in one direction & it's cranky on both the blue & silver Magics. Maybe it is a slightly sub-standard device that was packed with a slightly wonky pod.

I'll start a new pod tonight and check. I always dry off the cavity & the bottom of the pod whenever I refill it. As far as charging goes, 1,300mAh is great for a pod but a huge step backward for me (I've been using the eGo AIO (1,500mAh) & the D22 XL (2,500mAh) almost exclusively for a couple of years) so I've gotten compulsive about putting pods on the charger.

Poeia

Bird Brain
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 6, 2009
NYC

It helped. Still far from perfect but I do like it. A lot!

With a 7ml pod, it is a great system for someone who likes to change flavors often. I have 2 main flavors & a few that I vape a bit every day or two. Having the label on the side of the pod was a good idea, but you still have to pull it out to see what flavor you have in there at the time. I'm putting little stickers on the side opposite the air flow hole so I can tell at a glance what flavor is in place. Making pods in different colors of translucent plastic could be something that sets the Magic apart (although the lack of a coil is it's unique feature).

And I still want to buy more of the batteries. I hope they come up with additional colors so I can supplement my blue & silver ones.
I need 2 or 3 more colors. Purple would be my first choice but red, copper/gold and/or green would all be nice.

Poeia

Bird Brain
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 6, 2009
NYC
I don't think they will update anything on the Magic, but I'm sure we haven't seen the last of their NC Film heater. 8)
A different coil-less pod system with a large reservoir that builds on what they learned from the Magic (& isn't too heavy) would be just fine. :)

My short-hand name for it is the next version of the Magic but they can call it absolutely anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread