hittman

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009
    Somewhere between here and there
    Hello and welcome back. I’m here today to attempt to cover the joyetech WideWick Air Pod kit that was sent to me in order to provide you with a fair and honest review. The WideWick Air uses a new and innovative wicking system called WideWick technology. Basically what this equates to is that there is a mesh coil that sits vertically in the pod and is wrapped in a polymer composite cotton and there is also a large amount of this cotton in the bottom of the pod that is saturated to keep the coil fully saturated from all sides. The pod holds the standard 2ml of liquid and contains a 1.2 ohm mesh coil. The battery portion has an 800mah battery but only has a charging rate of 5V/.5A so it’s going to take approximately 1.5 hours to fully charge. I’m expecting pretty good flavor from this one but you’ll have to stick around to see if that is indeed the case.

e0n6mj3.jpg

pkzCLsd.jpg

WHAT’S IN THE BOX?

1* joyetech WideWick AirBattery
    1* joyetech WideWick Air Pod (1.2Ω)
    1* User Manual
    1* Warranty Card

4hbPiTe.jpg

SPECIFICATIONS:

Size: 26.5mm x 16.5mm x 114.5mm

Battery Capacity: Built-in 800mAh battery

Charging: 5V/0.5A (USB-C)

Pod Capacity: 2ml

Filling Type: Top filling

Coil Resistance: 1.2ohm mesh coil

Connection: Magnet

Output Wattage: 12W Max

PoiCJDU.jpg

FEATURES:
    kxqIyZt.jpg

UQFwdKd.jpg

CVGV9Em.jpg

kDEayF6.jpg

INITIAL THOUGHTS:

I wasn’t aware of it because I didn’t review the original WideWick pod but the WideWick Air is the second device using the WideWick technology developed by Joyetech. The packaging is simple and basic. There is a color picture on the front of the device along with the Joyetech and WideWick Air names as well as a large warning on the bottom. The back side gives the contents list, specifications, and company information. The sides of the box are where you will find the authenticity code and color version along with bar code and a couple of features listed.

1680267347897.png

1680267565566.png

The box opens from either end and inside I was surprised to find the device packaged inside a sealed plastic bag. The bag tears open easily. I have to say that I was a little disappointed to find that there was just one pod included in the box which was pre-installed in the device inside the bag. I don’t necessarily agree with including only one pod for obvious reasons but think that the reason I have seen this many times from different companies is that they are trying to keep the cost down so that they can compete against disposables that seem to have become flooding the market. Also inside the box was a user manual and a warranty card.

Nz971Qf.jpg

rgsefWc.jpg

There is very little branding on the WideWick Air. The company and device names are printed near the top on one side and that’s it. I call this the front side because the single white LED indicator is on that side near the bottom also. On mine the word SAMPLE is printed on the other side. This is just because it is a review sample and will not be on production models. When you first open the plastic bag containing the device there is a tab sticking up with the word REMOVE in red on it. This is the safety seal covering the contacts on the bottom of the pod so you don’t fire it before filling. You can see this on the white version in the picture below. Joyetech was nice enough to send two devices for this review as well as an extra pack of pods.

EBvWRhW.jpg

4B8Yasf.jpg

On each of the thinner sides of the device there is a single airflow inlet hole located near the top of the battery portion. The “Air” name on this one is very fitting as it allows a large amount of airflow for a pod device. The airflow is not adjustable but if you find the airflow too loose then you can cover one of the holes to tighten the draw on it.

1680267842116.png

The USB-C charging port for the 800mah battery is located on the bottom of the pod. I really don’t mind this as the WideWick Air has a plastic body and is lightweight. I never really try to stand up pods when charging them. The charging rate is only 5V/.5A so it will take well over an hour to charge if the battery is depleted. I personally never run them all the way down but it’s a little harder to tell on this one since it just has the one white indicator light so about all you can do is recharge the battery if you feel like the puff has gotten weaker.

xsaaVxA.jpg

The pod opening on the battery portion is pretty standard with two spring loaded contacts and a single raised airflow sensor opening off to the side. This one doesn’t use magnets. The pods snap into place. You can see in the first picture below that the bottom of the pod has two large contacts with a fairly large airflow opening in the center. The draw on this one is a very loose MTL and borders very closely on an RDL type of draw.

In the second picture you can see that the pod is clear which makes viewing the liquid level very easy. It’s a little hard to see but the outside of the pod has a ridge that runs across and up so that the pod will only fit into the pod opening on the battery one way. I think this has another reason also for this which is to allow the user to see the liquid level more when the pod is inserted into the battery.

The third picture below shows the top of the pod which has the fill port and a smaller hole to let air escape while filling. Yes, this is a top fill pod which I greatly appreciate. I like when you can fill the pod without removing it. The mouthpiece is very stiff and a little difficult to snap off in order to fill but you won’t ever have to worry about it coming off accidentally.

In the fourth picture below you can see how the pod and pod opening are shaped and only go together one way. Also you can see how well the WideWick technology is working and the cotton is fully saturated on the bottom and on the top part wrapped around the vertical mesh coil. I used 70vg/30pg in the red unit in the picture and when filling you have to take it a little slow the first time giving the cotton time to saturate as you are filling it. After the first time filling then it is much easier. I have been refilling the pod when the level reaches the top of the lower cotton just in case but you can still vape quite a while even after the liquid level drops to the top of the cotton.

1680267955119.png

r2243oP.jpg

1680268041871.png

f1IArAW.jpg

FINAL THOUGHTS:

I didn’t get a chance to test the original WideWick pod so the WideWick technology is new to me. I have to admit that it takes a little getting used to. Using a higher VG liquid, I had to fill the pod slowly the first time with a new pod. I had to fill a little and wait for the liquid to saturate the cotton in the bottom of the pod and then fill more but still slowly until the cotton was fully saturated. I’m sure with a higher PG liquid it would go much quicker. Once the pod is filled the first time then it’s just a matter of topping off like a normal pod unless you vape it until the bottom cotton is almost dry. Just out of habit, I refilled the pod when I no longer saw the liquid level above the cotton. Like I said, to use it to full capacity takes a little getting used to.

That being said, I felt like the Air delivered pretty good flavor and plenty of vapor. At a maximum of 12 watts the vapor is pretty cool and a little too cool for me. The airflow is not adjustable but there is plenty of airflow on this one. I would say that it borders on a very loose MTL and a tight RDL. I like loose MTL and this one was a good fit for me but could definitely see others plugging one of the airflow holes to tighten the draw.

I have to give kudos to Joyetech for trying to develop something new and different with their WideWick technology. In a market flooded with pod devices that are so similar that sometimes it’s hard to differentiate between them, It’s nice to see a company innovating instead of just pumping out another pod like so many others on the market. Of course I would have liked to have seen a second pod included in the kit and adjustable airflow would have been a nice added feature but overall the WideWick Air is really a decent pod kit.

I’d like to thank Joyetech and Adela for sending the WideWick Air Pod kits and spare pods for this review. A big thanks to you the readers also. Below is a link to the website for your viewing pleasure. Joyetech is one of the original brands that I remember back in my early days back in 2009 and think it’s great that they are still going strong and relevant in the market.

WideWick Air - Joyetech Electronic Cigarette

hittman

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009
    Somewhere between here and there

Users who are viewing this thread