Juice hog

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dystonia Man

Nov 16, 2017
Southern California.
I gotta serpent smm. And I noticed it sucks down the juice pretty hard. I'm using the coil that came with It a .3 ohm. Is there way to build and wick to at the very least lessen it? I'm only doing about 45 watts. The videos don't help. Or address it that I have found. What should I look out for n the future so I don't make another mistake like this one again?

Reactions: stols001

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Big low ohm coils at high watts (45 is fairly high) draw lots of juice. I was having the same issue with my aromamizer 7 plus. My solution was to go from 3.5mm dual coil @ 25ohm to a 3mm single coil 22g wire at .6 ohm. Vapor reduction was tolerable and juice use was halved. If you want big giant clouds you will wind up buying big giant bottles of juice. It’s physics. I’ve heard of people going through entire bottles in a single day with big puffer mods. I mix my own and it’s still too expensive for me to do that.

Dystonia Man

Nov 16, 2017
Southern California.
Thanks. I like flavor over clouds. That's what this tank is supposed to be good for. I always got confused. Is the smaller the number of resistance mean higher. And the higher the number mean lower. And I guess coil inner diameter factors into that. I have some prebuilt nichrome 80 .8 ohm 26g. Looks to be about 2.0 millimeter or so diameter. They sent me by accident. Wasn't sure how to use it safely I'm guessing it's what is called subohm. And also what about coil height whether it be higher or lower affecting flavor and the heating of the coil. Cuz this one the air flow hits it from the sides from the posts.

Last edited:

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Thanks. I like flavor over clouds. That's what this tank is supposed to be good for. I always got confused. Is the smaller the number of resistance mean higher. And the higher the number mean lower. And I guess coil inner diameter factors into that. I have some prebuilt nichrome 80 .8 ohm 26g. Looks to be about 2.0 millimeter or so diameter. They sent me by accident. Wasn't sure how to use it safely I'm guessing it's what is called subohm. And also what about coil height whether it be higher or lower affecting flavor and the heating of the coil. Cuz this one the air flow hits it from the sides from the posts.
Higher the number the higher the resistance. As for subohm that used to mean less than 1 ohm , but these days usually means less than half an ohm or so. As for height it can matter, but it’s very dependent on atomizer design and I don’t own the atty you use so I have no advice to give there

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Resistance that is lower and wattage that is higher are going to mean more juice is consumed. I think that you could certainly wrap a HIGHER resistance coil (I'd think around 0.5 or 0.6 might work) and that will perform well at lower wattages, which will mean less vapor, and less ejuice consumption.

It's always a balance between how much flavor you want, vs how much vapor you want, but it sounds to me like you could move up in resistance quite easily and still get a satisfying vape.

If buying e-liquid this can make some difference, if you want to continue high juice consumption at low nicotine, most e-cig liquid makers don't charge "extra" for higher nicotine. If you are buying your own nicotine and entering DIY-land, I think there's more of a balance, really, as you may be going through less e-liquid, but at higher percentages if that makes sense? Regardless, upping your coil's resistance may get you to where you want to be.

Anna

Reactions: Letitia

papergoblin

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 16, 2013
alabama

Just remember the closer you get coils to 0.00, the more juice you're going to use, generally. What you set the power to Wattage, will affect how warm the vape will be and again how much juice you run through.

Depending on room of course (inside the atomizer you use) coil placement up/down or in/out (closer to posts or farther away) can affect taste and temperature. Then again temperature can be adjusted to some extent by power.

Coil diameter can affect a few different things, again depending on the atomizer you use. For example if my atomizer doesn't have much room in it from side to side, I may go larger diameter so that I can get the resistance I want using a certain gauge wire. Then again maybe the draw is too airy or loose, so I can use a larger diameter coil to help constrict the airflow.

In the end coil resistance, diameter and wire gauge (and type) is personal preference, so is the wattage setting. I don't have a set coil size or wire gauge nor do I have a set wattage I vape at, the reason is some liquids I have taste better at different temps and or with different coil types/placement.

When building you need to understand the range min. and max resistance your mod can work in, as well as the batteries it may need to use. I will say this, if you are thinking about learning to build your own coils, buy a cheap RDA. They are way easier to learn on, as they are as picky about wick placement and such.

I recommend watching videos of the tank you have/want being built and look at some RDA's being built, you'll quickly see what I mean. Then again, you don't have to build your own stuff to get a great vape either, there are so many options out there.

Asbestos4004

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2013
Sugar Hill, Georgia
"only doing about 45 watts"....things like that still crack me up. There was a time when we thought 20 watt devices were ridiculous and would certainly contribute to the end of vaping...those Rebels with their hotrodded gear!:eek: At the time, a 30ml bottle of juice was considered "stocking up".
I got sucked in for a short time and started building pretty low resistance setups (.1-.2 ohm) and had fun with it. I never payed much attention to juice consumption because I've been mixing my own for years. The last time I actually bought a bottle of juice was when Donut Pounder came out. bleh! Battery life, now, that got my attention. I was swapping batteries all the time. Not to mention, vaping became less enjoyable and relaxing. It became more like an old addiction....complete with a solid dose of obsession.
For the past couple of years, I've been mainly using single strand, single coil attys. Whether that be a Hurricane 1.3 on a vv mod, or a Narda on a mechanical squonker. Everything gets the same coil...6 wraps, 24ga ss, spaced on a 2.5mm bit. It's still a pretty low ohm build (.3 or so) but it takes very little power to run it. 27 watts and it's great for the Hurricane. I guess that build would be around 60 watts on a mech with a full battery, but it still works. A battery lasts as long as the bottle of juice in the squonker. Generally, it's at 3.7 when it goes on the charger. I seem to be mixing less.

Vapemesilly

ECF Veteran
Mar 21, 2017
Nevada
I have the SMM. It's my favorite RTA. Great flavor tank. At first I thought it sucked juice too but after a few months I have concluded that it uses juice about the same as my other RTA's. That well in the tank creates the illusion of juice suckage. I make my coils at around .5 ohm and vape at 20-25 watts. 45 watts is going to burn juice faster... a lot faster.

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA
I gotta serpent smm. And I noticed it sucks down the juice pretty hard. I'm using the coil that came with It a .3 ohm. Is there way to build and wick to at the very least lessen it? I'm only doing about 45 watts. The videos don't help. Or address it that I have found. What should I look out for n the future so I don't make another mistake like this one again?
In General higher ohm coils/lower wattage (generally MTL) vaping will:
Heat the coil slower, which may produce “less” vapor
Provide A “cooler” tasting vape, can produce more flavor
May use less E-Juice (<$ less money)
Prolong battery life (<$)
Prolong coil life (<$)
Prolong wick life (<$)
Less likely zero spit back
May result in less PV maintenance/Issues
Less irritation to non vapers
Aids stealth vaping
Less exposure to carcinogens at high temps

If the above helps, it would be nice to know, just hit "like" at bottom right hand corner of this post (we get notified as to your appreciation).

suprtrkr

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2014
Cowtown, USA. Where the West begins.
Hi and welcome. I love the Serpent SMM, it's my favorite single coil RTA (expect for the Hadaly on a squonk box). I agree: raise the ohms of the coil to .7ish or above, and cut back on the wattage to 25-30ish and you'll see a reduction in juice usage as well as cloud.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread