Just passing through...

Status
Not open for further replies.

NicoHolic

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 13, 2013
USA
I guess it’s been about 15 months since I last posted here in REOville. It’s good to see Rob, Nerak, MommaTried, Ancient Puffer, SXD, and others still here. I actually dropped off ECF about that time because vaping became just something I did all day, everyday, just like smoking—no longer a hobby. Heck, I even began vaping mostly unflavored juice, LOL. I popped back in for a little while when ProVape finally built a ProVari I’d buy, and then dropped off again.

Yesterday, the switch contact in my nearly 21 month old, daily driver tumbled raw aluminum Grand finally broke and I got a chance to use one of the rebuild kits for the first time. Wasn't too hard at all for a half-blind old man with shaky hands. The new gold contact and spring seem to be an improvement. Back in January, I had to replace the first coil (0.8Ω 27 AWG from SXD) I ever put in its RM2 when it popped on a dry burn--lasted about 18 months of 8 hours/workday. The three AW IMR 2000s are still going fairly strong coming up on two years. The REO Grand has been one of the most hassle free tools I’ve ever owned.

Great to see all the new smoke-free faces here in REOville. Enjoy!

ancient puffer

EX PV Collector
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 8, 2011
Virginia, USA
Good to see you again! :)

And although it's sad when folks "drop off ECF", in a way, it's a real testament to the REO. It really can replace smoking, without having to do vaping as a "hobby".

Probably wise to check back in every so often, there's always new stuff to consider (resin REOs, hoople-resistant stainless steel 510's, etc.)

NicoHolic

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 13, 2013
USA
it's a real testament to the REO. It really can replace smoking, without having to do vaping as a "hobby".

I still smoke a bowl or cigar (or two) every few months. But it sure is nice not to have to everyday carry/maintain a lighter, pipe tamping tool, or cigar cutter and punch. A whopping 6 ml of juice and an 18650 in a package the size of a pack of cigarettes does the job for me and doesn't stink up the new car. The old truck still reeks and the burn holes in the seat covers are still there.

18 month old coil! I've been making a new coil every month just because. I think I'll leave them alone.

Considering weekends, vacation, and holidays, I work about 18 days/month x 9 hrs/day, including driving x 18 months ≈ 2900 hours. I vape unflavored (no scent) 24 mg 50/50 at work, which means I don't have to hit it very often. Unflavored is easier on coils and wicks. I replace the organic cotton ball wick and dry burn lightly about once a month. So those 18 months aren't quite as impressive as they may sound and YMMV.

SteamStack

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2014
Macomb, MI, USA
Make sure not to treat the new gold contacts the same as the old ones.. don't ever sand them. Clean with eraser and or 91/99% isopropyl alcohol and q tip. Add a drop or deoxit gold to the contact or top of battery as it will still get on the possitive contact every so often to keep it from arcing. Can grab a deoxit gild pen from amazon and should last you a lifetime hehe.

NicoHolic

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 13, 2013
USA
Make sure not to treat the new gold contacts the same as the old ones.. don't ever sand them. Clean with eraser and or 91/99% isopropyl alcohol and q tip. Add a drop or deoxit gold to the contact or top of battery as it will still get on the possitive contact every so often to keep it from arcing. Can grab a deoxit gild pen from amazon and should last you a lifetime hehe.

Thanks for the tip. Guess I'll put the swiss file back in the toolbox. :D

super_X_drifter

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 4, 2012
Somewhere out there
www.youtube.com
Yes it is great to see you droppin in here :). These REOs were great all along but HUGE improvements have been made that make them basically indestructible. Really, the only way to screw one up is to over tighten that screw thru the Delrin. Rob has a fix for that too :). Rock on brother :)

SteamStack

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2014
Macomb, MI, USA
Yeah i wish rob would advertise the new versions or updates on his site. Reo grand v5.0 or something would really tell someone that's been gawking years that now is a great time to jump on board... or they read old reviews or threads were one complained about the contact pin or melting a button going too low in ohms or the fact that they can't sub ohm cause of the old contacts and spring.. all those issues and more are fixed yet they won't know.

Rat2chat2

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 16, 2013
North Carolina
emoticon_nicetameetya.gif
I am just so happy that you are still doing good and still enjoying vaping. True. Vaping does not have to be a hobby or like in my case. . . an obsession, but I know for a fact that the reo people are a lovin' bunch, so I'm sure they are glad to hear from you. So don't stay gone so long
dilia_nono.gif
and a
big
Iamjustme_welcomeback.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread