Just received my first e-cig, and I like it. (questions)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bluejay

Feb 26, 2010
Springfield, OH
I got the disposable 510 from Mark at MadVapes.com, and I'm liking it so far. I've been reading this forum for several months, and finally decided to give vaping a shot. I think that vaping will enable me to eventually give up the analogs, but I have a few questions:

1) I'm probably going to buy a "regular" 510 instead of the throw-away type. Are they all similar?

2) Do you prefer the "regular" kind or the ones with the button which allows you to have more control over how much you draw?

2.a) Does either type affect battery life enough to worry about it?

3) I usually smoke about 10-15 analogs per day (on a normal day - sometimes more, sometimes less). Given that I'm not a chain-smoker, will e-cigs end up saving me money? (I cross the border to Indiana -about a mile- and spend about 4 toadskins per pack. - too expensive in Illinois)

I realize that most of these questions have probably been answered in the forums, but this place has so many members and posts, I sometimes can't find the answers that I'm looking for, so please forgive if I'm re-hashing the same old stuff that's been answered several times.

Thanks!

-Jay-

PS - RE: MadVapes.com - I am not in any way affiliated with Mark or his company, but I'd like to give him my recommendation.

Jarek91

Feb 25, 2010
Brandon, MS
1) I'm probably going to buy a "regular" 510 instead of the throw-away type. Are they all similar?

2) Do you prefer the "regular" kind or the ones with the button which allows you to have more control over how much you draw?

2.a) Does either type affect battery life enough to worry about it?

3) I usually smoke about 10-15 analogs per day (on a normal day - sometimes more, sometimes less). Given that I'm not a chain-smoker, will e-cigs end up saving me money? (I cross the border to Indiana -about a mile- and spend about 4 toadskins per pack. - too expensive in Illinois)

Here's what I think you'll get in general for answers (gleaned from my reading lots and lots of posts)

1) Yes, but the "regular" is designed to last longer (more battery recharge cycles and such)

2) I believe you are referring to a manual battery which from what I have seen is a bit of a favorite here (or at least the manual battery lovers are the most vocal about how great they are)

2.a) Oh my yes. I've seen quite a few threads about, depending on the battery trigger mechanism, having autos turn on at random thus shortening the charge life for actual vaping. If they are too sensitive then loud noises may turn them on such as a car air conditioner.

3) In general it seems that the consensus is you'll typically spend 25-50% of what you spend on analogs. Now this will of course vary if you are prone to getting new PV's to toy with and flavors of juice to try. But it's pretty universal that there is long run savings (ROI seems to be between weeks and months)

jaxx

ECF Veteran
Jul 26, 2009
Nashville, TN
Thanks for the quick replies DC2 & Jarek91. Much appreciated.

Here's another odd question:

What's the purpose of the LCD? I DO like the aesthetics of the red/blue light, but it seems to me that it's unnecessary.

I think it serves two purposes:

1) To simulate a traditional burning cigarette

2) A visual for when the battery is dead. (Not really necessary since the ecig won't vape if the battery is dead)

There are some ecigs out there, such as the Protegy, that do not have an LED light.

Gamer

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 7, 2010
St. Petersburg, FL
www.Youtube.com
Sorry... I meant LED.

LCD, LED, ..., PCP? these e-cigs are getting better and better.

The LED is for show and its an easy way to tell if your battery is running low :) I personally need to learn how to mod my LEDs because they are all red and i would like to change the colors to draw less attention... or maybe that would draw more attention.... meh

I prefer having the LED light, It gives a realistic glow if you want it, and if its like my old auto, the stronger you draw the brighter the light. If you don't like the Light its EASY to take a cap and cover it. I normally cup my e-cig in my palm when i vape anyway.

Last edited:

AlexTM

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 7, 2009
Cologne, Germany
www.dampfzeichen.de
The disposable 510s are either said to give a pretty realistic experience of a proper Joye 510, or at least a decent approximation. You might want to have a look at the eGo, too, which is basically a 510 with a big battery and a cover.
If you "just" get a 510, make sure it's a Joye (branded by a few companies like Janty and TW) and not some clone that may or may not perform very well with other clones or a Joye.

There are 510 batteries out there without an LED as well, I have a few of them, all Janty. I was slightly irritated in the beginning because nothing flashed any more when the battery was empty. But these days, I usually taste it when it goes empty before it flashes, and then I exchange it anyway, so it hardly matters. And I do prefer the look of an LED-less battery.

Auto vs. manual is not so much a question of drawing for me, as I can vape autos very comfortably, too; but far more a question of protection against overfilling, which I constantly do. With a manual, that is not a problem, but you can ruin an auto very easily that way. So I keep my autos for occasions where I need both hands elsewhere, such as when riding my bike.

Last edited:

Bluejay

Feb 26, 2010
Springfield, OH
The disposable 510s are either said to give a pretty realistic experience of a proper Joye 510, or at least a decent approximation. You might want to have a look at the eGo, too, which is basically a 510 with a big battery and a cover.
If you "just" get a 510, make sure it's a Joye (branded by a few companies like Janty and TW) and not some clone that may or may not perform very well with other clones or a Joye.

There are 510 batteries out there without an LED as well, I have a few of them, all Janty. I was slightly irritated in the beginning because nothing flashed any more when the battery was empty. But these days, I usually taste it when it goes empty before it flashes, and then I exchange it anyway, so it hardly matters. And I do prefer the look of an LED-less battery.

Auto vs. manual is not so much a question of drawing for me, as I can vape autos very comfortably, too; but far more a question of protection against overfilling, which I constantly do. With a manual, that is not a problem, but you can ruin an auto very easily that way. So I keep my manuals for occasions where I need both hands elsewhere, such as when riding my bike.

Good info. I'm finding that after a few hours, I really don't mind the auto. It's fine for a few puffs.

I think I've also convinced my wife that vaping is going to be a much better way to satisfy my nicotine habit. I hate to trade one addiction for another, but at least I feel like I'm traveling in a better direction.

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
I'm with AlexTM on this with the eGo or Tornado (same device - one from Janty, one from Totally Wicked) for you. You don't smoke enough to justify an expensive mod (although a Bartleby for $50 might be good) and on the Joye atomizers, that you'd get with either the eGo or Tornado. Then find some ejuice you like. The bigger batt in the eGo eliminates the need for Passthroughs and PCC's, megas, etc. And it is still small enough to fit in your hand well. I really like mine and I have quite a few ecigs and mods. Julie was right. (inside joke).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread