Just Started (2 mods deep already)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MorbidToaster

Jan 30, 2014
Austin, TX
So I wasn't much of a smoker before this but I started for different reasons.

I have an oral fixation issue and a social anxiety problem. They tend to go hand in hand, unfortunately.

Since starting about a week ago I feel both of these things are being chipped away at, and that feels great.

Anyway, after a week I've jumped in head first and have a Magneto & a Tebeco Hammer Clone. Along with a few tanks, my favorite of which is a smok Trophy v2 (though I'm already considering a rebuildable).

I personally prefer the Hammer clone (though mine has 1 issue) to the Magneto. There's just a few things I dislike about it and it'll be out the door tomorrow.

So...I'm looking forward to diving into the forums here and learning more.

MorbidToaster

Jan 30, 2014
Austin, TX
THATS GOOD.. glad you are liking it... whats the issue you have with the hammer clone?

Poorly threaded top. The button and extension tubes never sit flush with the batteries in. They're fine without a battery. It's almost like it's not long enough.

I've taken it apart and cleaned them all just in case but there's still a decent size gap. I've heard others have this issue and I'm thinking about returning to the shop and checking out the rest of their stock to see if it's typical. It's bugging me a bit because I think it's gorgeous otherwise.

So much so I'd like to polish off the art and get it engraved (if I can get a properly fitting one).

lamarrk

ECF Moderator
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 5, 2013
Huntsville, Alabama (Rocket City), USA
Poorly threaded top. The button and extension tubes never sit flush with the batteries in. They're fine without a battery. It's almost like it's not long enough.

Are you using nipple top batteries, if so, get some flat top batteries. I've noticed the same thing with mine and flat tops should fix the tubes fitting flush. The "fit" issue doesn't bother me, so I haven't tried it with flat tops.

MorbidToaster

Jan 30, 2014
Austin, TX
Are you using nipple top batteries, if so, get some flat top batteries. I've noticed the same thing with mine and flat tops should fix the tubes fitting flush. The "fit" issue doesn't bother me, so I haven't tried it with flat tops.

Didn't think about that. Makes sense to me. I'll ask my shop tomorrow if they have some flat tops.

Thanks. Hope it works. If it all fits flush after that I'll move forward on polishing and engraving.

MorbidToaster

Jan 30, 2014
Austin, TX
So many things to worry about, it's like perfecting an art.. ok not really, BUT Flat top batteries should fix your problem that you have going on there.

Got 2 flat tops today and whadaya know it's great (after one more thing).

I traded a dude one of my (admittedly nicer) 18650 3400s for his flat top 18650 1600. I also picked up an 18350 900 flat top. They fixed the issue with the threads and it looks great!

...but I had a lot of presses that weren't firing. So i took apart the whole button and cleaned it up (got every bit of gunk out) and it seems excellent now.

Still think I'll be replacing the top cap and button eventually though.

I'm really loving mechanicals. While it may be frustrating, it's also nice to just be able to rip the whole thing apart.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread