Just want to make sure this is safe?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Benji_Rock

Dec 4, 2015
I'm using titanium wire to build coils for an rta and I'm having an issue with the spring of the wire and not being able to get the wraps close together. I found on this forum someone having the same issue with kanthal, and a couple of people suggested heating the wire with a flame before wrapping. I've done that and it seems to have improved the wrap. However, after a bit of previous research on titanium, some people have said you shouldnt let titanium glow red at all, now obviously it did when I heated it on the flame. Does this just refer to whilst vaping it, like a dry burn or just in general. Also has doing this burnt the wire (it went black and although most soot came off with a wipe its still a different colour, a bit bluey, if thats important)?

I've not installed it into the head yet, I just want to make sure what I've done is ok before I vape with it.

Last edited:

Nikea Tiber

ECF Veteran
Jul 21, 2015
Dull brick to cherry red is fine with ti in terms of temperature color. The surface of the coil usually won't develop dioxides until you start to approach welding temperatures, I.e. when the coil starts to move from bright cherry into the golden/straw range of colors.
You can tell if you overheated the coil because it will have a powdery, whitish, pitted appearance.

Reactions: cheech226

chefjoosie

ECF Veteran
Dec 7, 2013
Cincinnati, OH, USA
You have absolutely nothing to worry about from titanium regardless of how much you heat it. (unless you burn yourself)

If you heat it orange hot, some of it will oxidize to TiO2. If you do a quick internet search, you'll see plenty of frightening posts and articles about the dangers of TiO2. If you look a little longer you'll find out they're ridiculous.

If TiO2 was dangerous, you'd be dead before lunch in the morning. You inhale more TiO2 when you put on sunscreen, or sit next to someone wearing makeup, or eat a powdered doughnut than you will in 10 years of vapeing on a titanium coil.
It is in almost everything from food, to the paint on your walls, makeup, toothpaste, and plastics.

It has been labeled a possible carcinogen. The way they were able to add it to the list was studies in which they put a tube into rats tracheae, and pumped large amounts of TiO2 into their lungs over long periods of time. Some of the rats got lung lesions/cancers. Of course pumping any particulate into a rats lungs in the same amounts for the same duration causes the same lesions/cancers. So unless you decide to snort lines of TiO2 for years, you have nothing to worry about.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread