Kanger Protank vs Vapeonly BCC

Status
Not open for further replies.

RobFindlay

ECF Veteran
Jul 3, 2011
SLC, UT
So I've been pretty happy with the Vapeonly BCC but a few things bothered me, the build quality didn't seem all that great, the silicone "gasket" that rests in the bottom cup likes to come loose, pulling the post to get to the wicks is a MAJOR pain in the .... Other than that it runs pretty dang good.

So on a lark I grabbed two Kanger Protanks last night at Electronicstix here in salt Lake as the build quality is exquisite.

Get it home, filled it full of my favorite juice hi-calibre Apple Pie, which runs fine in the BCC, and the taste is just off, removed a flavor wick and it got better but was still off. Just tried a fresh coil 2.5Ω @ 7.4W on my eVic (4.38V). Still off, tried removing another flavor wick then adding it back, same off taste.

The off-taste is almost like tasting the "flavor" of the wicking material. Anyone have any suggestions?

doots

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2009
safe-list.com
I noticed an off taste but I dont think it was wicks but cant tell. You or anyone that gets these tanks need to rinse them out good before use. Because the off taste went away after a couple of tanks. Something maybe in the or on the tank glass inside or on the wicking material silica. Dont know but never had that taste again after using awhile..

Chiku

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 8, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Mine seemed a bit off at first as well. I soaked in vodka for a couple of hours, rinsed, and let it dry overnight and it was much better. I have now done this with all the heads I ordered as well. I ordered the Protank on a whim, I have been using carto tanks fora few months and loving them. I'm surprised how much I am liking the Protank, I even ordered a few more last night.

Dannyboy5691

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 13, 2013
Hamburg, NY
Also, remember heads need half a tank to break in. My first tank with a new head I let it wet so water helps wick and break in the head. Takes a little, but the head breaks in a lot faster. Also, prime the head with just one drop in the air channel and wicks before closing. Helps a huge deal

Yeah I've noticed that even after I cleaned the PT that it takes about half a tank for the wicks to break in. I've never thought of priming them before using them. Good suggestion!:)

Susaz

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 8, 2009
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Yeah I've noticed that even after I cleaned the PT that it takes about half a tank for the wicks to break in. I've never thought of priming them before using them. Good suggestion!:)

Also helps wicking to blow from the mouthpiece into the tank. Careful, you might flood it and become gurgly.

Susaz

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 8, 2009
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Honestly guys, I still seem to be getting better flavor from the BCC, I wonder what the issue is.

Taste is subjective. Also depends on voltage, liquid, PG/VG ratio... I always complain the BCC has a much thinner vapor than the eVod. I get more flavor from the eVod with HHV Angel's Kiss, 70/30, vaped at 3.7/4.0 volts with a 1.5 ohm head...

supermarket

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 2, 2010
Near Atlanta, Georgia, US of A
Honestly guys, I still seem to be getting better flavor from the BCC, I wonder what the issue is.

Not only is taste subjective.......but there is DEFINITELY a HUGE difference in taste between my EVOD BCCs and my Kanger Pro Tank. Even though you are comparing the VapeOnly BCC to the pro tank, I can at least understand the taste difference, since I'm experiencing the same thing with my evod.

I've cleaned out the pro tank twice now, and not only is the taste muted in it, but I'm also getting a metallic taste. Someone told me to soak in white vinegar, then rinse again.....I just did that and I'm going to let it dry overnight. Hopefully it'll get rid of the metallic taste.

Besides the metallic taste, and the flavor being muted in the pro tank compared to the EVOD.....I also notice a THIRD factor, of simply DIFFERENCE in taste. Not necessarily WORSE or BETTER......but definitely DIFFERENT. I'm not talking about the metallic taste, nor the flavor being muted......I am specifically talking about the e-liquid having a different taste in the pro tank, on its own.

At first, I considered this a bad thing. My Bounty Hunter from NLV tastes much better in my EVOD.

However, when I tried Blueberry Muffin from HHV in the Pro tank, I realized (besides the metallic taste) it tastes BETTER than when using the EVOD.

So, in summary, two things I'd like to add to this thread:

1) I ALSO experience a difference in taste between another BCC (EVOD) , and the Pro Tank

2) Don't give up on the Pro tank.....try out a few different juices in it, and perhaps you might find that some juices actually taste better in the pro tank, as was my experience

RobFindlay

ECF Veteran
Jul 3, 2011
SLC, UT
This is one of the lessons I've learned and am re-learning, some juices simply taste better/different in a carto vs a tank, be it a viv-nova, Vapeonly or a pro-tank.

For me Boba's ONLY ever tastes "right" in a carto-tank.

That being said, I've only tried two different juices in my pro-tank, I need to try and experiment with more.

Now, I'm thinking of running out to Electronicstix tomorrow and grabbing a iClear30, as I really like vivi novas when they work right
and that looks like a vivi on frakking steroids.

I have said it before, but not often because I am rather new here. Something about Metal Mouthpieces change the taste of certain ejuices. I had the same effect with the iClear 30. I use a 50/50 Blend with an RY4 that I love. Viva Nova: Great Taste, CE5(iClear16): Great Taste, Smok Carto: Great Taste, Protank or iClear30: Something tastes off. I have varied the watts, ohms, volts, etc... Some things just taste different out of an all Metal Mouthpiece. Metal drip tip, a little different, but not as bad.

When I first got the Protank and a VapeOnly BCC from the same supplier as you, I would have said the exact opposite. It took the BCC some time to get good, while the Protanks seemed to start out better. But as time goes on, I find the BCC becoming my go to and the Protank, siting on the little wooden stand I have. I definitly will not vape a minty flavor on metal again. I used the Tabacco Ice (Again 50/50 Highcaliber from same store) It tasted great in my EVOD or T3 or Ego-C type A tank, but put it in an iClear 30 and I just feel robbed! Something is muted. Since the Iclear 30 isn't a glass tank, it has to be the mouthpiece.

And the priming advice is great! Thanks much.

Justin66

May 12, 2012
MI
Here's my $.02, for what little that's worth... and because I can, I'm using bullet points (take that, anti-gun people!):

-I didn't like the Protank. I own a SS Ming tip and multiple chromes, but as hard as I try I can't like that metalic taste. Couldn't get rid of it after rinsing in vinegar, either.

-Be careful if you put your PV w/ Protank in your pocket. If it gets warm, for whatever reason, the epoxy bond that holds the base onto the Pyrex will break. If it's in your pocket and you sit down/climb/whatever activity that causes your thighs to create a right angle with your torso, you risk having the glue reset, but with the top portion of the tank on a slant. Mine didn't leak, but it bugged the ever-loving $#!+ out of me.

-Something to try: use the Kanger EVOD coils on the Protank. Some people, like me, liked the EVOD's tighter draw. That's why I went back to the EVOD's... the tighter draw, smaller stature (helps when I'm at work) and plastic tip. I don't use any flavors that can cause a tank to crack, so that feature isn't as big a deal to me as it is for others. If I ever did, I have my AGA T+ for that.

Not only is taste subjective.......but there is DEFINITELY a HUGE difference in taste between my EVOD BCCs and my Kanger Pro Tank. Even though you are comparing the VapeOnly BCC to the pro tank, I can at least understand the taste difference, since I'm experiencing the same thing with my evod.

I've cleaned out the pro tank twice now, and not only is the taste muted in it, but I'm also getting a metallic taste. Someone told me to soak in white vinegar, then rinse again.....I just did that and I'm going to let it dry overnight. Hopefully it'll get rid of the metallic taste.

Besides the metallic taste, and the flavor being muted in the pro tank compared to the EVOD.....I also notice a THIRD factor, of simply DIFFERENCE in taste. Not necessarily WORSE or BETTER......but definitely DIFFERENT. I'm not talking about the metallic taste, nor the flavor being muted......I am specifically talking about the e-liquid having a different taste in the pro tank, on its own.

At first, I considered this a bad thing. My Bounty Hunter from NLV tastes much better in my EVOD.

However, when I tried Blueberry Muffin from HHV in the Pro tank, I realized (besides the metallic taste) it tastes BETTER than when using the EVOD.

So, in summary, two things I'd like to add to this thread:

1) I ALSO experience a difference in taste between another BCC (EVOD) , and the Pro Tank

2) Don't give up on the Pro tank.....try out a few different juices in it, and perhaps you might find that some juices actually taste better in the pro tank, as was my experience
My first experience with Kanger Protank was misery... after I wanted to switch flavors... I rinsed with distilled water and than a rinse with vodka. The next day I put in Evod replacement heads. ( can't remember now if I removed a flavor wick) but I ruined the whole experience at the gate... cuz the vodka must have stripped the inner and all I got was metallic taste and two weeks later its still there. The positive is the EVOD heads stopped the airy draw. Now today... call me crazy but bought a new protank... this time I rinsed first with distilled water, now going to try first time with removing two flavor wicks from Kanger heads. If after filling... I get that airy draw I can't stand... going to put in an EVOD head. So crossing fingers... that metallic taste was my error.

I have said it before, but not often because I am rather new here. Something about Metal Mouthpieces change the taste of certain ejuices. I had the same effect with the iClear 30. I use a 50/50 Blend with an RY4 that I love. Viva Nova: Great Taste, CE5(iClear16): Great Taste, Smok Carto: Great Taste, Protank or iClear30: Something tastes off. I have varied the watts, ohms, volts, etc... Some things just taste different out of an all Metal Mouthpiece. Metal drip tip, a little different, but not as bad.

When I first got the Protank and a VapeOnly BCC from the same supplier as you, I would have said the exact opposite. It took the BCC some time to get good, while the Protanks seemed to start out better. But as time goes on, I find the BCC becoming my go to and the Protank, siting on the little wooden stand I have. I definitly will not vape a minty flavor on metal again. I used the Tabacco Ice (Again 50/50 Highcaliber from same store) It tasted great in my EVOD or T3 or Ego-C type A tank, but put it in an iClear 30 and I just feel robbed! Something is muted. Since the Iclear 30 isn't a glass tank, it has to be the mouthpiece.

And the priming advice is great! Thanks much.
Wow... your words are exactly how I feel with metal drip tips. Even if I am using stainless steel... it doesn't do the flavor justice... imo.... I do like ceramic drip tips but have found a good quality acrylic has helped me more in flavor than any other tips I have tried. I would like to eventually try a glass drip tip and see how that works for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread